Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2016, 2:38 pm

I volunteer at an animal hospital and everything is working great so far. I never told anyone I have Asperger's/Autism but I wonder if they suspect it. I never planed to tell them. But people always find out eventually. I don't think anything would happen if they found out I had it except "Oh! You're the next Temple Grandin!" (Personally, I can't stand her. Because I'm always being compared to her and because her ideas about animals and mine aren't exactly the same.) I don't plan to tell them, but it's bound to come up sooner or later. How should I handle it if it does?

ArielsSong
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2016, 3:04 pm

I would simply say that if you're asked, you're honest about it.

FandomConnection
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2016, 3:34 pm

Do you think that it's likely that somebody will ask if you have ASD? NTs are often hesitant to ask such things because they consider it rude to imply that somebody else has a mental/neurological/behavioural disorder. However, they might approach the topic with you (e.g. mentioning that somebody they know has ASD), so you could tell them about yourself as soon as they bring anything like that up, if that's what you want.

On the other hand, I don't really see that you need to tell them. If they do find out, and say, 'Why didn't you tell me?', then you could say that you didn't think it was relevant/necessary, or you don't usually tell people.
Hope this helps. Good luck! :D