One thing I don't like about having ADHD

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2017, 6:32 pm

I have ADHD as well as AS, but the problem with having ADHD is blurting things out that I'm supposed to keep quiet. I DON'T mean personal secrets others tell me or tactlessness, what I mean is things like someone doing a favour for me that I should have done myself, then blurting it out during a conversation that's somehow relavent.
It's nothing to do with misunderstanding social cues, because I know to keep certain things quiet, but sometimes I forget myself and if it's my problem and no-one else's then I think that it won't hurt to say. Then I get the unwanted "ssshhh!! !" :oops:

As some of you may know, I get bothered when people shush me by going "sshh" ("shut up" is actually preferable for me!) I don't know why sshh bothers me. It just feels patronizing or embarrassing. If I am sshh'd, I get a nauseated feeling afterwards, and think about it all day, wishing I had never said anything.
Obviously I can't tell people to not say sshh because it doesn't seem to bother anyone else so people will just think I'm weird or highly-strung.

So anyway that's one of the annoying things about having ADHD, is the urge to say something then be shushed. Also no matter how quietly you say something and no matter how far away you are from earshot, NTs still seem to think everyone is going to hear.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2017, 1:24 pm

I know that "thing" - but I have learned to control it - even though I still have the urge to blurt out....
It can be controlled - but not without increased social incertainty. (just "got" a packet of ADHD, so now I understand).

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2017, 1:42 pm

I've noticed this with extroverted NT people too. The other day someone who is obese phoned someone's mobile, and someone who is one of those extroverted loud people said to the others in the room, "if she wants to come, there will be no room for her to sit, plus she is rather large", and someone else was like "sssshhhh!! !"
I wouldn't have said something like that out loud about a person who was on the other end of a phone, but I sometimes slip out other things I shouldn't, especially at work.

See, at work there are lots of secrets people share, things that don't need to be secrets really but some people just get overparanoid and think everything must be hush-hush. So sometimes I am reluctant to open my mouth.

I never shush people, ever (probably because I don't like being sshh'd myself). So if I haven't done a task at work that I know I will get away with not doing, and I tell a trusted coworker that I didn't do it, I don't go, "I didn't do the task, sssshhh!", instead I go, "I didn't do the task, but don't say anything".

I do know that sshh has lots of hidden meanings, but that still doesn't make me feel better about it.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2017, 1:55 pm

Well, I wouldn´t blurt out things like that! I wouldn´t even think it.....more "poor woman. She can´t feel very comfortable".

A few years ago, though, I saw myself bursting into other peoples conversation - because I wouldn´t mind myself, if others did so, but at last I could sense how annoying, it probably was, so I stopped - a little embarassed.
I still have the urge, but I control it. :roll:

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2017, 3:17 pm

I'm sorry to say that as soon as I get really tired, inhibitions go out the window. I'm learning I shouldn't let myself get really tired at work.

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2017, 3:33 pm

Executive function fails and fear of initiating in a social or semi social setting.