Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Benjammin0817
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Sep 2017, 1:37 pm

Anybody read alot, and if you do, what do you like to read?

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Sep 2017, 1:52 pm

Books on astronomy or autism, I don't read story books.

BBC: Radio 4

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Sep 2017, 1:54 pm

Ummmmm, thinking about I have some books about my favorite band, The Fall (Fan for 40 years, 70 records, 500 bootlegs, over 100 MP3 recordings)

I did read the hitch hikers guide to the galaxy once, but that was 30 years ago.

BBC: Radio 4

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 2:13 pm

I used to read a lot of books as a child and into my teens...but not so much anymore. But yeah when I do read I like fantasy, sci-fi, non-fiction books on topics I like or am interested in...I guess I have liked some historical fiction, as well.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 2:52 pm

I do, and I like to read a little of everything. I like history, classic literature, biography, tennis books and books about animals, especially cats.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 2:53 pm

I also like to read about autism and medical topics.

EverythingAndNothing
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Sep 2017, 3:12 pm

I love to read. I love almost all types of fiction but really gravitate to fantasy and many of the classics. Some of my favorite authors are Charles Dickens, Kurt Vonnegut, and Daniel Quinn but I will read almost anything. Probably the only genre that I can't seem to enjoy is historical fiction dealing with war. It puts me to sleep.

Lately I've been reading more non-fiction as well. I'm especially interested in books about the ocean and environmental pollution. I probably have about 15 books about oceans on my list right now that I am dying to read. It seems to be a new special interest.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 3:30 pm

I used to read everything I could find (I was hyperlexic as well), but my interests have become much more narrow in recent years, so I only read about certain topics like autism, genetic disorders, and AGT.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Sep 2017, 3:56 pm

I read one to three books a week. I like sci-fi, but I also read books like Walden, and I like to read college textbooks. I also read a lot of research publications from pubmed and ncbi on the national library of medicine website.

samuraivader
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Sep 2017, 5:56 pm

When I was a child I used to read anything I could find, in that time were born my two longlife special interests (history and catholic religion); in that time I also learned a lot about lot of things.
Sadly, when I discovered Internet I moved from reading a lot of books to reading a lot of web articles. Now I'm trying to recover some regular reading of books and blocking from reading my obsessions in Internet.

ailuzhin
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Sep 2017, 6:19 pm

Fiction:

Vladimir Nabokov: Lolita, Pale Fire, Invitation to a Beheading.
David Foster Wallace: Infinite Jest
Ayn Rand: Atlas Shrugged
Non-fiction.

Stephen D Levitt, et al: Freakonomics
Correlli Barnett: The Audit of War
Mark Kurlansky: The Basque History of the World
Nassim Taleb: Black Swan

Benjammin0817
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Sep 2017, 6:41 pm

samuraivader wrote:
Sadly, when I discovered Internet I moved from reading a lot of books to reading a lot of web articles. Now I'm trying to recover some regular reading of books and blocking from reading my obsessions in Internet.

Have you considered getting a kindle or other such reading device?

IgA
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Sep 2017, 7:40 pm

*Science textbooks:
evolution, biology, genetics, geology (as it relates to evolution & interactions between organic & inorganic) ...

*Anthropology textbooks

*Some sci-fi + fantasy like Harry Potter, but haven't read anything like it recently

*Computer Science -- mostly computer language coding. Presently learning PHP & JavaScript. I have learned Java, C#, ASP.NET, & C++ so far, along with details of networking, database coding & queries, some data structures, & computer hardware basics.

*I collect books titled 'History of the Idea of Progress' - there are several versions. So far I have 1980, 2005, 2008, & 2012 versions. The 2005 version is titled 'Technology & American Society, but the concept is similar.

peregrina
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Sep 2017, 7:52 pm

I used to read a lot of nutrition textbooks. Some strange diet books, not to follow but to compare and contrast.
Anatomy and Physiology.
Autism

Keladry
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 9:56 pm

I read a lot and all the time.

When I was younger I read mostly YA fiction, mainly fantasy (Tamora Pierce!!) and historic fiction, especially as regards the Holocaust.

I still read those now, but I also like to read more non-fiction as well. I'm currently reading about Autism, some past topics include history, especially European, German or Holocaust, and infectious diseases. I'll also read other non-fiction if it catches my eye.

AlanMooresBeard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Sep 2017, 2:31 am

I've enjoyed reading since childhood. I feel that it is important for everyone to read books on a regular basis as it has so many benefits. I don't read much in the way of fiction but when I do, it tends be sci-fi or satirical novels with a dark sense of humour. Some of my favourite fictional writers are Neil Gaiman, Douglas Adams, J.G. Ballard and Kurt Vonnegut.

As for non-fiction, I read books on history, politics, sociology, economics, film, music and art.