Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2007, 12:06 pm

Is this a normal thing or something but I am attracted to flashing lights if I'm in a party and there are disco lights or a place where there are different coloured lights I tend to stair at them the whole time I'm there I went bowling once and they had lights there and I lost the game cause I was stairring at them.

Is this a trait of some kind

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2007, 12:06 pm

I enjoy flashing lights, but I don't know if this fascination has anything to do with AS.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Genius-Idiot
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Jun 2007, 12:12 pm

It depends on what I'm trying to do. If I'm at a party or something, yeah, I'll totally zone on the lights. (The clapping trick, where your hands look like they're not moving, is pretty cool too.) But if I'm trying to do something that requires concentration, like writing this post, and there's anything moving or flashing in my peripheral vision, like the 'emoticons' next to the text box right now, I get stressed or even pissed off. (As an aside, I particularly hate the emoticon that grins with its upper lip flapping. What the heck is that supposed to be?)

alexbeetle
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2007, 12:32 pm

Genius-Idiot wrote:
It depends on what I'm trying to do. If I'm at a party or something, yeah, I'll totally zone on the lights. (The clapping trick, where your hands look like they're not moving, is pretty cool too.) But if I'm trying to do something that requires concentration, like writing this post, and there's anything moving or flashing in my peripheral vision, like the 'emoticons' next to the text box right now, I get stressed or even pissed off. (As an aside, I particularly hate the emoticon that grins with its upper lip flapping. What the heck is that supposed to be?)

it's supposed to be laughing
i spent ages staring at the emoticons trying to figure out what they meant then found if you leave the cursor on them they have a tag - very helpful

It might look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm really quite busy.

girl7000
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2007, 12:42 pm

MrMacPhisto wrote:
Is this a normal thing or something but I am attracted to flashing lights if I'm in a party and there are disco lights or a place where there are different coloured lights I tend to stair at them the whole time I'm there I went bowling once and they had lights there and I lost the game cause I was stairring at them.

Is this a trait of some kind

I don't know if this is a trait or not - but I guess it's certainly possible.

I used to be really attracted to flashing lights - it would induce an almost trance-like state in me - it was really odd but kind of nice at the same time.

This attraction to flashing lights has decreased as I have got older though.

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2007, 12:44 pm

Thats what happens I go into a trance

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2007, 1:06 pm

Flashing lights can cause seizures. Autistic people are more prone to seizures than the general public. So its entirely possible you are having a mild seizure when you stare at lights.

girl7000
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2007, 1:20 pm

Ticker wrote:
Flashing lights can cause seizures. Autistic people are more prone to seizures than the general public. So its entirely possible you are having a mild seizure when you stare at lights.

Interesting - I guess it is possible that it could be some kind of petit-mal epilepsy - but this is not my area of expertise, so it might be worth speaking to a doctor if you think this is the case.