Poll: When walking do you focus on the ground or far ahead?

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

When walking do you focus on the ground or far ahead?
I focus on the ground in front of me more. I look down. 84%  84%  [ 32 ]
I look farther ahead and "scan my horizon" more frequently than looking down at the ground. 16%  16%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 38

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2018, 6:51 am

After moving from the country to a place with sidewalks, it was some years before I began to stumble when taking a shortcut across an empty lot. My normal gait had become more like a shuffle, because the pavement was usually reliably flat. The local kids can run across broken ice while keeping an eye on their friends.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2018, 8:12 am

Focusing on the ground in front of me is one of the reasons why I get lost easily.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2018, 8:26 am

When I was a young boy I would always look down. Sometimes I would go to store without a penny in my pocket. Generally by the time I reached the store around a mile away, I had enough money to buy a candy bar. It is interesting all the things you can find discarded along the road. Also back in those days they had refunds on bottles. So it was also a treasure that could be converted into cash.

Now that I am much older I generally do both.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2018, 12:22 pm

Fnord wrote:
No options for "Both / Alternately" and "Neither / Middle-Distance".

This and a lot of us may want to answer differently for various times in our lives. These polls don't really reveal much.

That said, as a kid I always looked straight down at my feet and for the distance of the next step. My mother used to yell at me because I never saw other people coming at me and would bump into them sometimes. She called it rudeness (sound familiar :roll: ) I called it perfectly sensible. How else can I be sure I won't trip over something like a curbing or something some careless jerk left on the ground? Besides, if I bump into somebody, isn't that just as much their fault as mine? Are they rude too?

The only reason I don't do that anymore is because at some point I began to view walking without looking at my feet as a challenge. I kept challenging myself to see and pay more attention to my peripheral world. It was actually pretty scary at first but I got better at it over time. If I hadn't I doubt I ever would have learned to drive safely.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2018, 12:39 pm

So how should I answer this question? I do think that I look far ahead, but only because I was taught to do it by my parents at age 10 or so because they thought it looked like I wasn't paying attention if I looked at the ground.

Recently I've noticed that, when stressed, I revert to looking more at the ground.

So do you want me to answer with what I have learned to do most of the time, or what is apparently more natural to me?

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2018, 12:51 pm

Vision involves far more memory than we often realize. When a local landmark burned down, it took a while for everyone to actually notice it was gone with deliberate looks. If you see a step five paces ahead, you can easily stay ready for it while looking up. Driving safely depends upon scanning around to update a mental image of one's surroundings.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2018, 1:21 pm

I learned to look at the ground while walking because I kept bumping into little kids and things. Then it became a habit.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

FallingDownMan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jul 2018, 2:23 pm

I used to look at the ground while walking because of light sensitivity. Since I discovered a thing called sensory processing disorder, I started wearing sunglasses outside at all times. Now that my eyes don't hurt to look up, I scan the horizon much more than the ground.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2018, 2:35 pm

FallingDownMan wrote:
I used to look at the ground while walking because of light sensitivity. Since I discovered a thing called sensory processing disorder, I started wearing sunglasses outside at all times. Now that my eyes don't hurt to look up, I scan the horizon much more than the ground.

Wait what? I'm afraid to accept that this helps from "FallingDownMan." :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2018, 8:20 pm

Both.

My real focus is actually the space/distance itself, visuals/sounds themselves second. The latter two is more like the senses that constantly 'confirms' me.

It actually helps that I'd suddenly stop to let a vehicle or a person pass without needing to look ahead or look closely. I'd see it on last seconds before passing through. Or right before I might end up bumping onto something.

If I go visuals/sounds first, it'll feel like I'm going on more 'manual' and 'focused' approach. I'd likely bump on someone or something with it. :lol: But it's better for me in exploring less familiar or unsafe terrains and locations...

Always far ahead if I'm looking for something. Or sightseeing.
On the ground if I just feel like walking around for miles without any deliberate purpose or business. Or almost that feeling while waiting in a moving vehicle to stop to it's destination kind of walk.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

RandomFox
Toucan
Toucan

04 Jul 2018, 10:50 am

As a child I used to focus on the ground most of the time while walking (and find coins, lost rings, all sorts of little treasures) but at some point I've realised people don't walk like that normally - they actually look around and interact with other people :D
So... now I mostly look around/ahead while walking, but at the same time a part of me pays attention to the ground and "scans it" (often non-consciously). I can still find little coins in grass (which never ceases to impress my daughter) or find a four-leaf clover in a sea of 3-leaf ones. At some point my "scanner" just stops at something and I just focus my attention there, there's no effort involved :D

Aavikkorotta
Raven
Raven

04 Jul 2018, 3:22 pm

The ground tends to have more interesting rocks than the horizon.