What Genres of Music are Aspies Into?

Page 1 of 7 [ 98 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Ipunes
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Dec 2007, 5:33 pm

Personally, Ive always thought that ELECTRONIC rock/punk would appeal to people with aspergers and possibly autism. (also 1980's electronic music with vivid rifts etc)

electronic rock uses vivid but simple musical notes abd tunes to convey emotions, often repetitive, with Random and musically unfitting noises added in.

Seeing as people with aspergers experience simpler and a less complex range of emotions, Music which 'simplifies' emotions more so than mainstream music should appeal more to aspies as they can better and clearer comprehend the music's intended emotions and thus gain more emotional satisfaction from it and feel less confused and less insecure from listening to it.

The band DEVO is an excellent example of this sort of music. (dl some devo songs off of a p2p if you havent heard of them or check out their myspace).

The lead singer's girlfriend even said that he may have mild aspergers. Therefore the lead singers mild aspergers may well be influencing the music DEVO produces.

Also the repetitive sounds/noises of electronic rock/punk music may appeal to the obsessivness of aspies.

Last edited by Ipunes on 20 Dec 2007, 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lonermutant
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2007, 5:34 pm

Prog Death Metal.

alexbeetle
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2007, 5:37 pm

I don't like electronic music so much as there are some background sounds that can drive me nuts (throwing the radio through the window literally), my NT kids can't really hear them but learnt to always wear headphones.
I like string instruments and really like Einaudi (piano), also accoustic guitars/strings esp DMB.

It might look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm really quite busy.

Ipunes

20 Dec 2007, 5:37 pm

well im personally a huge fan of devo.

several people in my lifetime have hinted that I may have aspergers or be autistic.

when i first began listening to devo, I can literally see myself learning something about human emotions and connecting with 'all those emotions in life which I never understood'.

I also think Video Game theme music may be popular with aspies.

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2007, 5:48 pm

How many different kinds are there? That's probably pretty close to the right number then.

I'm pretty fond of elevator music. Not easy to find where I live, we have nothing over two stories. It was a sad day when they automated elevators, I had high hopes of being an elevator operator. And another goal crushed. :cry:

Margrethe
Raven
Raven

20 Dec 2007, 5:57 pm

Dark Wave/ Electronica.

The Crüxshadows and Ego Likeness, especially.

Ipunes

20 Dec 2007, 6:03 pm

I think listening to DEVO might even help in alleviating the negative symptons of Aspergers.

Just force yourself to listen to and engage with some devo tracks for few hours, till you enjoy them.

When I did that, I found myself more relaxed, feeling more emotionally complex beleieve it or not, twitching less, having less obsessive thoughts and feeling optimistic and willing to engage with more emotional content such as films, books and even socializing.

mmaestro
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2007, 6:03 pm

Ipunes wrote:
Seeing as people with aspergers experience simpler and a less complex range of emotions,

I actually don't believe this to be the case. I think aspergians mostly experience the same range of emotions, but because children learn to put names on emotions by observing their peers, and we don't have an instinctive ability to read what our peers are experiencing, the names we connect with emotions are pretty limited - we're left with the more extreme and obvious examples. I think we experience the others, but find it difficult to quantify and name them when we experience them.

Anyway, as to musical preferences, I believe that any genre can be performed with a sufficient degree of skill so as to be enjoyable to listen to. But my favourate genre is probably Russian romantic/20th century music. Dmitri Shostakovich was a teenage obsession of mine. The music was, and is, a good way to express extreme emotions, especially sadness, depression, anger. I do think I used it in some ways to feel a sense of empathy for some things, in many ways it isn't subtle, and while others might talk out their feelings in cameraderie with their friends, I think I more "listened" it out, provoking the emotional response that I wanted to feel through music.

Now, I rarely have the time nor energy to listen to classical music, and so listen to more alternative bands. I'm a big Radiohead and Nine Inch Nails fan. I love the music of Tori Amos, Alicia Keys, Evanescence, and many others.

Music of the Moment: Radiohead - In Rainbows

ev8
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Dec 2007, 6:04 pm

I'll just put my Pandora list here. Not really into the whole genre thing.

Slayer, Modest Mouse, Modeselektor, Jurassic 5, Notorious B.I.G., Between the Buried and Me, Pig Destroyer, Fear Before the March of Flames, Aphex Twin, The Mars Volta, Genghis Tron, My Bloody Valentine, Refused, Ken Ishii, Death From Above 1979, Field Mob, The Sound of Animals Fighting, Pink Floyd, Nile, Atari Teenage Riot, Explosions in the Sky, Wu-Tang Clan, Lightning Bolt, Converge, The Locust.

Bold = electronic or heavily electronic
Italics = moderately or somewhat electronic
Underlined = hip-hop

Mostly I like stuff with alot of signature changes, dissonance, and fast beats. Rhythm is my main thing. Lyrics never really do anything for me. On internet quiz questions which ask me which set of lyrics I relate to best, I am usually stumped. VOCALS are important, though. Mostly for the tie-in with rhythm. Hope this helps. :]

Last edited by ev8 on 20 Dec 2007, 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ipunes

20 Dec 2007, 6:07 pm

mmaestro wrote:
Ipunes wrote:
Seeing as people with aspergers experience simpler and a less complex range of emotions,

I actually don't believe this to be the case. I think aspergians mostly experience the same range of emotions, but because children learn to put names on emotions by observing their peers, and we don't have an instinctive ability to read what our peers are experiencing, the names we connect with emotions are pretty limited - we're left with the more extreme and obvious examples. I think we experience the others, but find it difficult to quantify and name them when we experience them.

Anyway, as to musical preferences, I believe that any genre can be performed with a sufficient degree of skill so as to be enjoyable to listen to. But my favourate genre is probably Russian romantic/20th century music. Dmitri Shostakovich was a teenage obsession of mine. The music was, and is, a good way to express extreme emotions, especially sadness, depression, anger. I do think I used it in some ways to feel a sense of empathy for some things, in many ways it isn't subtle, and while others might talk out their feelings in cameraderie with their friends, I think I more "listened" it out, provoking the emotional response that I wanted to feel through music.

thats interesting.

Its also worth mentioning that DEVO's lyrics are very good at summing up emotions and Morals and moral goals in life in a clear cut no-nonsense manner. The lyrics are simple and comprehendable and are litterally in the form of eg(use your freedom of choice, if you dont got it you want it, if you got it you dont want it).

There is a song called Planet Earth, which has simple and comprehendable lyrics dedicated to the basic goals and morals that humans go through in their lives.

Now, I rarely have the time nor energy to listen to classical music, and so listen to more alternative bands. I'm a big Radiohead and Nine Inch Nails fan. I love the music of Tori Amos, Alicia Keys, Evanescence, and many others.

Ipunes

20 Dec 2007, 6:09 pm

I heard a girl in a dress
Say her face was a mess
I heard theres no reason why
I heard that nows the time to buy

On planet earth
Ill probably stay
On planet earth
Its a place to live your life

Where pleasure follows pain
People go insane
Fly around in planes
Pray that it wont rain
Drive around in cars
Get drunk in local bars
Dream of being stars
Well I lived all my life on planet earth

I saw a girl lose all control
When she lost her new mink stole
I saw her try to catch a man
Things I couldnt understand

On planet earth
Ill probably stay
On planet earth
Its a place to live your life

Where pleasure follows pain
People go insane
Fly around in planes
Pray that it wont rain
Drive around in cars
Get drunk in local bars
Dream of being stars
Well I lived all my life on planet earth

I saw a man on a stage
Scream put me back in my cage
I saw him hang by his tie
I saw enough to make me cry
On planet earth
On planet earth

I lived all my life on planet earth
I lived all my life on planet earth
On planet earth
(repeat)

{ these lyrics clearly and orderly convey a 'happy' human beings life on earth and what they enjoyed and hated about it, in an easy intellectually atainable fashion.

the music strongly accompanies each event of the persons life along witrh the lyrics to convey what you are supposed to feel at different time sin your life]

Last edited by Ipunes on 20 Dec 2007, 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DejaQ
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2007, 6:09 pm

I mostly like orchestra. I have a preference for movie scores that use leitmotif.

I also like New Wave / synthpop from the '80s.

Ipunes

20 Dec 2007, 6:12 pm

this is promising stuff. Lots of people are mentioning a likin gfor synthetic/electronic music.

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2007, 6:19 pm

Way too many types to box me in. I don't like much electronica, though I did like Devo when they were "Pop".
I hate country music but my favorite singers are Michael Nesmith, kd lang, Hank Williams 3.
I like Harry Connick Jr, Mozart, Bach, Vivaldi, Ravel, De Falla, Miles Davis, Celia Cruz, Tito Puente, Calexico, Gipsy Kings, the various artists from Buena Vista Social Club.

markaudette
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2007, 6:23 pm

I guess I'd have to say Ambient is my favorite.

Ipunes

20 Dec 2007, 6:29 pm

I can enjoy all forms of music.

But I feel less stressed, less confused, less chaotic, thinking more clearly and more euphoric and more engaged with DEVO and electronic rock.
Maybe its because DEVO music has an addictive quality to it and is generally positive and upbeat.

Listening to DEVO gives me more control of myself emotionally, I can function better.

Last edited by Ipunes on 20 Dec 2007, 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.