Atypical's 2nd Season is a Step Forward in Autism Representation

Page 2 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

gypsonic
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Oct 2018, 12:23 pm

im glad you wrote this. i gave up on the show after the bed kicking scene 8O :oops: but after reading your review i think i'll give it another shot. thanks! :mrgreen:

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2018, 12:32 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
Gimme my Touch ....... instead.

Ah Ha , that's where you get your Kiefer love from :lol:

"I have been found out!"

Yeah, never liked 24. But Touch was just right. Besides, I liked its very accurate autistic portrayals combined with the mysterious kabbalistic aspects.

BTW, have I ever told you how Kiefer loves karaoke and would show up unannounced at a gay piano bar?

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Last edited by AspieUtah on 02 Oct 2018, 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2018, 12:32 pm

alex wrote:
Thanks for all your feedback! Keep it coming. 8)

I interviewed my friend David Finch who served as a consultant for the 2nd season. Would you all be interested if I released that interview on the site?

Of course

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2018, 12:48 pm

alex wrote:

I interviewed my friend David Finch who served as a consultant for the 2nd season. Would you all be interested if I released that interview on the site?

I would be interested to see it.

I haven't watched Atypical as I'm not into family dramas and find a focus on romantic relationships to be kind of boring, so I was turned off by the trailer. HOWEVER, I am always interested in media portrayals of autism, so particularly if they are doing a good job, I might have to check it out after all. I liked your article/review.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2018, 1:34 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:

"I have been found out!"

Yeah, never liked 24. But Touch was just right. Besides, I liked its very accurate autistic portrayals combined with the mysterious kabbalistic aspects.

BTW, have I ever told you how Kiefer loves karaoke and would show up unannounced at a gay piano bar?

You told me 5 days ago about how he loves karaoke , is a nice guy and always waits his turn , the piano bar is new info for me - wtf is a piano bar?

Never watched 24 , loved Touch as well ( some of my fave films have KS in them , Lost Boys , Flatliners )

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2018, 2:09 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:

"I have been found out!"

You told me 5 days ago about how he loves karaoke , is a nice guy and always waits his turn , the piano bar is new info for me - wtf is a piano bar?

Never watched 24 , loved Touch as well ( some of my fave films have KS in them , Lost Boys , Flatliners )

A piano bar is a bar, gay or not, which usually includes a pianist or two who play requests quite professionally, So, no dancing, no loud thumping, just friends, conversation and nice music. As such, on nights when the pianists aren't performing, the bar could employ a karaoke DJ. That is what brought in Kiefer one night.

A tenant friend was an EMT/fire fighter not far from here. After I told him this story, he said that Kiefer was filming some movie in the area where my friend was required to watching the filming due to some pyrotechnics, but forgot the title. And, since cast members are usually housed in nondescript but protected ways in Salt Lake City, it would make sense that he would visit the same bar consistently where he would be safe from crowds.

I am sorry that I forgot what I told you, but I am neck deep in working on an LGBTQ-autism project. I am forgetting things for the next eight months.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2018, 3:40 pm

Thanks for the definition and the neat story. No need to apologise dude , you are not expected to remember every conversation you have ( Unfortunately I can unless it's really important information then it never sticks )

And to get things back on track

alex wrote:

Yes I would

JamesBon92007
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Oct 2018, 5:18 pm

I just learned about the show Atypical yesterday. Last night I watched several episodes of Season 1. I thought it was interesting how Sam's difficulties were shown in contrast to his family's "normal" problems. I especially liked that Sam's difficulty dealing with such things as uneven lighting and loud music were clearly defined, and this in effect makes me feel just a little bit more normal--at least I'm not the only one anyway. I did, however, watch much of it with the sound off and kept my finger on the muting button. It's too bad, especially after the "Silent Night" episode, that this was not taken into consideration. This makes me think that I was not the intended audience. I also thought that, considering Sam's dislike of music, that it was unlikely that he would like hip-hop.

I am very glad that Atypical is bringing many aspects of autism into the realm of the mainstream's experience and hopefully it will have an effect. So far no counselor or doctor that I've shared my sensory sensitivities with even suggested that I might be autistic. After reading Alexander's review I am looking forward to watching Season 2.

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2018, 9:29 pm

I thought that there could have been much more adult human female nudity....
less penguins

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 9:03 am

madbutnotmad wrote:
I thought that there could have been much more adult human female nudity....
less penguins

:lol: Not sure that would work , there's plenty of nudity elsewhere if that's your thing.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 2:42 pm

I think in a 3rd season, Sam should date his fellow peer grouper, Noelle.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 2:54 pm

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of shows that portray autistic people as savants and/or geniuses. It would be nice if autistic people could be represented as, well, people.

As of now, my favorite depiction of autism was the female detective in "The Bridge."

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 3:11 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
Personally, I'm not a huge fan of shows that portray autistic people as savants and/or geniuses. It would be nice if autistic people could be represented as, well, people.

As of now, my favorite depiction of autism was the female detective in "The Bridge."

True, but it is also true that 10 percent of autists are savants or otherwise have exceptional abilities. I like David Mazouz's character of Jake Bohm in the previously broadcast Fox Television series, Touch, because the character shows both extreme abilities and disabilities, and quite believably.

JamesBon92007
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Oct 2018, 5:15 pm

So, I finished Season 1 and watched several episodes of Season 2. I'm thinking that the title is no longer appropriate, unless the author is suggesting that most of the other characters are AT but the myriad of problems they are dealing with don't seem to have anything to do with autism. Sam's friend is a very good character because he simply accepts Sam as being the way he is and accommodates him according to his abilities and limitations and no doubt realizes that everyone has limitations. I have no interest in watching Season 3.

Autonomous_Bay
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Oct 2018, 8:52 pm

alex wrote:

I'm definitely interested. Post it here? Can we pitch some ideas here to send to him? I want to see the Indian stoner friend go to college with Sam and turn the comedy way up. I wish I could write for that show. How many writers and consultants do they have?

thevirtualjim
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Oct 2018, 6:09 pm

Wow. I was so disappointed in season 1 that I was going to refuse to waste more time on it. After reading this, I'll give season 2 a try.

The only thing I liked about season 1 was Sam's sister and her BF. Everyone else seemed just a mess and not nice people, including Sam as a big not-nice stereotype. His therapist too - as someone who works in healthcare, she is a bad doctor and breaks many ethical rules.