How does China view autism? (Just a small sample.)

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

icyfire4w5
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 6:54 am

Recently, I discovered while lurking on various WP forums that some WP members are curious about how China generally views autism. In other words, does China's view of autism differ a lot or very little from the predominantly Western view of autism. I thought, "Since I understand Chinese, let me do some Googling to find out more." Let me present to you my highly summarized findings... Your thoughts? (E.g. How does your own country view autism?)

Article 1: More and more people are diagnosed with ASD nowadays ever since psychologists have expanded ASD's definition. As long as you stim, stick to routines, have narrow and obsessive interests and have difficulties communicating and/or socializing with people, you are somewhere on the autism spectrum. Many normal children are misdiagnosed as autistic children due to their over-reliance on IT. When you spend most of your time toying with gadgets such as iPads, you miss out opportunities to interact with people, hence you will tend to run into problems whenever you interact with people.

Article 2: Many autistic adults are unemployed and still living with their parents. Even though there are sheltered workshops willing to accept autistic adults, expensive monthly fees deter many parents from sending their autistic children to these sheltered workshops. The reporter visited one such sheltered workshop, where she met some teenagers busy making bracelets or painting. One girl, who was very friendly towards the reporter, even tied the bracelet that she had made around the reporter's wrist. The sheltered workshop's founder said that the government should do more to ensure that autistic people aged 18 and above can find and keep jobs.

Article 3: Approximately 0.11% of children aged 6 and below in China have been diagnosed as insane. Autism is one of the main factors leading to insanity. The rate of people diagnosed with ASD in China has been increasing steadily over the years. Will parents accept autistic children studying alongside their own children? Mr. Luo said that he would accept autistic children as his child's classmates as long as they are high-functioning. He thought that high-functioning children should be given the opportunity to learn social skills through communication with their normal schoolmates. However, low-functioning autistic children can be cured of autism sooner if they attend special education schools. Mr. Luo, who had heard that autistic children are mostly exceptionally gifted in certain areas, said that he would encourage his child to befriend autistic children so that these autistic children can tutor his child in the areas that they are gifted in. Ms. Zhu said that normal children and autistic children should befriend each other. She said, "The parents of autistic children have already been feeling bad about themselves. If we reject their children, we will be hurting them through hurting their children. Autistic or not, everybody is human." Ms. Liu said that she strongly opposes schools that allow autistic children to study alongside normal children because she had heard many bad things about autistic children. According to her, autistic children often attack people ferociously during meltdowns, show neither logic nor common sense when solving problems, think differently from normal people and disrupt lessons. Besides, since most normal children are ignorant of ASD, Ms. Liu feared that normal children will unintentionally make remarks that offend autistic children. She concluded that all autistic children ought to attend special education schools for their own benefit as well as for the normal children's benefit. Ms. Tan, a special education teacher, said that autism is a lifelong condition that cannot be cured. Every autistic child is unique. Not every autistic child hurts people during meltdowns or engages in self-harm. Autistic children should be given the right to choose between mainstream schools and special education schools, although her own opinion is that low-functioning children will be better off in special education schools. She warned that in many mainstream schools, teachers adopt a "one size fits all" approach when teaching children.

Article 4: Autism is a chronic neurological disease, usually diagnosed when a child is 3 to 5 years old. Till this day, its causes remain unknown. It has already been alarming enough that more and more children nowadays are diagnosed with autism. Alarmingly, there is a condition known as Fake Autism that seems 100% identical to autism. Children suffering from real autism have already shown developmental delays before the age of 3. They shun eye contact. Their facial expressions and body language differ from normal children's. They have narrow interests and follow repetitive routines. Severely autistic people lack the ability to live independently on their own. The main cause of Fake Autism is parents who overly pamper their children. Teenagers who are not resilient enough to cope with failures might show signs and symptoms of Fake Autism too. Most sufferers of Fake Autism are born to wealthy parents who dwell in high-rise buildings and rarely interact with neighbors. Their parents pamper them and over-protect them, causing them to become shy, timid and easily stressed out. Experts remind parents that they should create opportunities for their children to socialize with other children early. Parents should instil resilience in their children.

Article 5: Autism is a form of depression. Autistic people tend to be stressed out and malnourished. They are usually overwhelmed by negative feelings such as sadness and anger, easily distracted, slow at solving problem, have poor appetite and have a hard time falling asleep. They should nourish themselves with Vitamin B, calcium and Omega 3. If they are bored, they should find things to do. If they are overwhelmed, they should learn how to relax themselves, perhaps by cultivating hobbies such as gardening and fishing. When everything else fails, they should confide in trustworthy people such as family members or friends.

Article 6: Parents who are cold and apathetic usually disgust their children. Many of these children eventually become autistic. Autism can be interpreted as a defense mechanism against a world perceived as cold, unpredictable and dangerous. Autistic people tend to be overly sensitive to details that most people overlook. For example, some autistic people can detect tiny changes in the other party's tone during conversations. Many autistic people are under-stimulated, so they stim to stimulate themselves. They seem to be more interested in their own stimming than their surroundings.

Article 7: 70% of autistic children are labelled as having below-average IQ, although they might be gifted in certain areas, 20% of autistic children are labelled as having average IQ while the remaining 10% of autistic children as labelled as having above-average IQ. More boys than girls are diagnosed with autism. Among children who are diagnosed with autism in a Guangdong hospital, approximately 60% of them are born to highly educated parents. Prof Li, a child psychologist at the hospital, said that all babies desire to be hugged, stroked and kissed. They also desire to have frequent eye contact with their caregivers. Babies whose caregivers neglect them tend to grow up into autistic people. However, he warned that overly pampering your children might cause them to become autistic too. Prof Li advised parents of autistic children to play with them regularly. He added that parents should create opportunities for autistic children to play with normal children too. In Hangzhou, Ms. Zhang, a therapist working with autistic children, admits that China's understanding as well as treatment of autism lag behind other countries by 20 or 30 years, but China is catching up quickly. She advised autistic people of all ages to play more often in sandpits.

Article 8: Mr. Yuan, owner of an art gallery, said, "In the past, I always emphasized the word AUTISTIC when exhibiting the paintings of autistic children, but now, I have been emphasizing the word CHILDREN. I lived in the US before. US treats autistic people as members of mainstream society because of its rich experience in understanding autism. I think that China is slowly but steadily reaching out to autistic people, hoping to bridge the gap between mainstream society and autistic people. This is a good trend. I admire the special intervention services that my child's school provides, such as allocating aides to classrooms that have autistic students."

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 8:23 am

Fascinating, thanks.

It reminds me a bit of the manga With The Light, about a Japanese autistic boy. It seems like China and Japan may have similar views of autism, not surprising given that they're neighbors.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 8:58 am

Oh man.... 8O

Quote:
Alarmingly, there is a condition known as Fake Autism that seems 100% identical to autism.

Quote:
Autism is a form of depression.

Quote:
Parents who are cold and apathetic usually disgust their children. Many of these children eventually become autistic.

:roll:

Edit

Last edited by Raziel on 26 Jan 2013, 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 11:53 am

I normally don't read posts as long as this, but I must say, it was refreshing to read one devoid of grammatical and spelling errors. That said, it was an interesting bit of information. This idea of children "becoming" autistic through external forces has to be a controversial one considering it is known that children are born this way. Still, you can imagine the lonely lives they will face as they grow up. Many, no doubt, will become shut-ins, or hikkikimori as they're known in Japan. I can definitely see an overprotective couple shunning their child from society and creating a fake autistic offspring. The curse of being rich, huh?

answeraspergers
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 2:01 pm

nice post.

I agree with some of articles others are obviously wrong

I wonder if they make a distinction to AS/HFA and Autism - the AS studies I've seen dont point to Low IQ.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 5:23 pm

I agree with autistic people of all ages playing in sandpits.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 6:52 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRjJyT-hoGw[/youtube]

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

slave
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 8:06 pm

icyfire4w5 wrote:
Recently, I discovered while lurking on various WP forums that some WP members are curious about how China generally views autism. In other words, does China's view of autism differ a lot or very little from the predominantly Western view of autism. I thought, "Since I understand Chinese, let me do some Googling to find out more." Let me present to you my highly summarized findings... Your thoughts? (E.g. How does your own country view autism?)

Article 1: More and more people are diagnosed with ASD nowadays ever since psychologists have expanded ASD's definition. As long as you stim, stick to routines, have narrow and obsessive interests and have difficulties communicating and/or socializing with people, you are somewhere on the autism spectrum. Many normal children are misdiagnosed as autistic children due to their over-reliance on IT. When you spend most of your time toying with gadgets such as iPads, you miss out opportunities to interact with people, hence you will tend to run into problems whenever you interact with people.

Article 2: Many autistic adults are unemployed and still living with their parents. Even though there are sheltered workshops willing to accept autistic adults, expensive monthly fees deter many parents from sending their autistic children to these sheltered workshops. The reporter visited one such sheltered workshop, where she met some teenagers busy making bracelets or painting. One girl, who was very friendly towards the reporter, even tied the bracelet that she had made around the reporter's wrist. The sheltered workshop's founder said that the government should do more to ensure that autistic people aged 18 and above can find and keep jobs.

Article 3: Approximately 0.11% of children aged 6 and below in China have been diagnosed as insane. Autism is one of the main factors leading to insanity. The rate of people diagnosed with ASD in China has been increasing steadily over the years. Will parents accept autistic children studying alongside their own children? Mr. Luo said that he would accept autistic children as his child's classmates as long as they are high-functioning. He thought that high-functioning children should be given the opportunity to learn social skills through communication with their normal schoolmates. However, low-functioning autistic children can be cured of autism sooner if they attend special education schools. Mr. Luo, who had heard that autistic children are mostly exceptionally gifted in certain areas, said that he would encourage his child to befriend autistic children so that these autistic children can tutor his child in the areas that they are gifted in. Ms. Zhu said that normal children and autistic children should befriend each other. She said, "The parents of autistic children have already been feeling bad about themselves. If we reject their children, we will be hurting them through hurting their children. Autistic or not, everybody is human." Ms. Liu said that she strongly opposes schools that allow autistic children to study alongside normal children because she had heard many bad things about autistic children. According to her, autistic children often attack people ferociously during meltdowns, show neither logic nor common sense when solving problems, think differently from normal people and disrupt lessons. Besides, since most normal children are ignorant of ASD, Ms. Liu feared that normal children will unintentionally make remarks that offend autistic children. She concluded that all autistic children ought to attend special education schools for their own benefit as well as for the normal children's benefit. Ms. Tan, a special education teacher, said that autism is a lifelong condition that cannot be cured. Every autistic child is unique. Not every autistic child hurts people during meltdowns or engages in self-harm. Autistic children should be given the right to choose between mainstream schools and special education schools, although her own opinion is that low-functioning children will be better off in special education schools. She warned that in many mainstream schools, teachers adopt a "one size fits all" approach when teaching children.

Article 4: Autism is a chronic neurological disease, usually diagnosed when a child is 3 to 5 years old. Till this day, its causes remain unknown. It has already been alarming enough that more and more children nowadays are diagnosed with autism. Alarmingly, there is a condition known as Fake Autism that seems 100% identical to autism. Children suffering from real autism have already shown developmental delays before the age of 3. They shun eye contact. Their facial expressions and body language differ from normal children's. They have narrow interests and follow repetitive routines. Severely autistic people lack the ability to live independently on their own. The main cause of Fake Autism is parents who overly pamper their children. Teenagers who are not resilient enough to cope with failures might show signs and symptoms of Fake Autism too. Most sufferers of Fake Autism are born to wealthy parents who dwell in high-rise buildings and rarely interact with neighbors. Their parents pamper them and over-protect them, causing them to become shy, timid and easily stressed out. Experts remind parents that they should create opportunities for their children to socialize with other children early. Parents should instil resilience in their children.

Article 5: Autism is a form of depression. Autistic people tend to be stressed out and malnourished. They are usually overwhelmed by negative feelings such as sadness and anger, easily distracted, slow at solving problem, have poor appetite and have a hard time falling asleep. They should nourish themselves with Vitamin B, calcium and Omega 3. If they are bored, they should find things to do. If they are overwhelmed, they should learn how to relax themselves, perhaps by cultivating hobbies such as gardening and fishing. When everything else fails, they should confide in trustworthy people such as family members or friends.

Article 6: Parents who are cold and apathetic usually disgust their children. Many of these children eventually become autistic. Autism can be interpreted as a defense mechanism against a world perceived as cold, unpredictable and dangerous. Autistic people tend to be overly sensitive to details that most people overlook. For example, some autistic people can detect tiny changes in the other party's tone during conversations. Many autistic people are under-stimulated, so they stim to stimulate themselves. They seem to be more interested in their own stimming than their surroundings.

Article 7: 70% of autistic children are labelled as having below-average IQ, although they might be gifted in certain areas, 20% of autistic children are labelled as having average IQ while the remaining 10% of autistic children as labelled as having above-average IQ. More boys than girls are diagnosed with autism. Among children who are diagnosed with autism in a Guangdong hospital, approximately 60% of them are born to highly educated parents. Prof Li, a child psychologist at the hospital, said that all babies desire to be hugged, stroked and kissed. They also desire to have frequent eye contact with their caregivers. Babies whose caregivers neglect them tend to grow up into autistic people. However, he warned that overly pampering your children might cause them to become autistic too. Prof Li advised parents of autistic children to play with them regularly. He added that parents should create opportunities for autistic children to play with normal children too. In Hangzhou, Ms. Zhang, a therapist working with autistic children, admits that China's understanding as well as treatment of autism lag behind other countries by 20 or 30 years, but China is catching up quickly. She advised autistic people of all ages to play more often in sandpits.

Article 8: Mr. Yuan, owner of an art gallery, said, "In the past, I always emphasized the word AUTISTIC when exhibiting the paintings of autistic children, but now, I have been emphasizing the word CHILDREN. I lived in the US before. US treats autistic people as members of mainstream society because of its rich experience in understanding autism. I think that China is slowly but steadily reaching out to autistic people, hoping to bridge the gap between mainstream society and autistic people. This is a good trend. I admire the special intervention services that my child's school provides, such as allocating aides to classrooms that have autistic students."

I appreciate you for doing this, thank you. :D

nuttyengineer
Toucan
Toucan

26 Jan 2013, 9:47 pm

This is a very interesting thread. I find it sad that they are that far behind the rest of the world when it comes to understanding autism. I have to say, I found the bit about apathetic parents "disgusting" their children, which leads to autism amusing and ludicrous.

Thanks for posting this.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 10:59 pm

icyfire4w5 wrote:

Could you give me the link to where you got this particular information?

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

27 Jan 2013, 3:49 am

I actually agree with a lot of this. I think the West likes to turn everything into a diagnosis, so they can prescribe a drug to enrich a pharmecutical company. A lof of these ideas of what may cause autistic symptoms (neglect, depression, etc.) hit home for me, personally.

icyfire4w5
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2013, 4:07 am

Dantac wrote:
icyfire4w5 wrote:

Could you give me the link to where you got this particular information?

http://news.bandao.cn/news_html/201301/ ... 2381.shtml

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2013, 12:12 pm

Thank you.

Its impressive what MS has done with Bing translate. I would not have thought it possible :)

Quote:
Grow, the more lonely, and this is the true portrayal of many older patients with autism. During this year's NPC, CPPCC Fang Jing was born in submitted proposals, noting that older patients with autism received neither benefits nor authority, many older autistic children can only be closed at home, see into the future. An interview with reporters on January 15 was informed that, in Qingdao, had received older autistic children boarding institutions, a number of children also learn a skill, but many families cannot afford to pay fees.

The morning of 15th, Guancheng road reporters arrived at the dream Park children's special education centres, where children, autistic children accounted for a considerable proportion. "Now young autistic children, conditions of access to education is also quite good, but children really bleak. "Agency Director Wan Ling said that Qingdao rehabilitation establishments for pre-school children with autism a lot, Government subsidies, no less, starting from last year, autistic children under 9 years old can subsidize 1500 Yuan a month, subsidies of 3,000 yuan for special hardship case families, but 9 per cent of children have no subsidies, and received very few of the bodies.

"I receive here is 18 years old. "Wan Ling said that himself initiated in 2004 of the Centre, then your children, then these kids grow up, no place to go, and children also began to receive their own. According to Wan Ling understanding, for older autistic patients in Qingdao institutions providing boarding conditions, only dream Park.

In a classroom on the second floor, two autistic children are concentrating on their bracelets, aged 18 years for boys and 15 for girls, bracelet on the table there are twenty or thirty, each article is different. Girl reporters very affectionate, find a beautiful bracelet to wear on your wrist to journalists. 15 year old boy looks inward, making bracelets. Classroom on another table, a very handsome boy is under the care of teachers, holding a brush stroke with meticulous brushwork. "These autistic kids, before the age of 18 if you have been able to receive stable rehabilitation education, that you can learn a skill. "Wan Ling said.

On a long pair of side tables in the classroom, stood a dozen simple mounting of the children's work, Wan Ling holding them, one by one say which child is painting, when you get the one piece, Wan Ling's voice muffled a bit: "the boy went home this time, make money at home. "Wan Ling said," to our children, many families give children in the early rehabilitation therapy for spending far too much money at home very difficult. Child is just a year or two can take up money at home, cannot afford in the future, bring children back. With three or four children here as a child, emotionally, not willing to let them go, and later on, just like parents, other fees do not pay, meal money on the line. ”

Wan Ling believes that, for since closed syndrome children this groups, Government just concern to 9 age following is enough of, if children can in 9 age Qian success intervention, and entered general school attended best, cannot school words, can in special taught body continues to for training, and learn technology, 18 age Hou, can through simple work efforts do themselves, and in this process in the, needs Government more of policy support. Reporter Liu Xuelian

GlobalAutismProject
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Feb 2013, 1:17 pm

Really interesting stuff coming out of your translation. It just goes to show how much more work needs to be done in communities all around the world to increase awareness and cultivate a proper understanding of Autism Spectrum Disorders. Spreading understanding within the community will facilitate the use of proper methods and easier access to resources for these individuals. In The Global Autism Project actually aims to do just this. We really put emphasis on ABA (the only current evidence-based method of treating ASD in use) and train our partners around the world in it. In our work, we have unfortunately come across similar misguided ideas and sentiments regarding autism. Even that it is the result of witchcraft! We work in Peru, Kenya, India, and Indonesia. Perhaps China is in our future!

BrokenBill
Toucan
Toucan

20 Feb 2013, 1:41 pm

Quite interesting reading.
A friend studying traditional chinese medicine suggested I search (tcm treating autism) in youtube.
Takes Chinese Traditional Medicine to a whole new level :roll:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqSemcDqnNI[/youtube]

You are very likely an Aspie

icyfire4w5
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2013, 1:51 pm

To BrokenBill: I can understand why you posted a :roll: ... I copied and pasted an old WP post of mine regarding autism and traditional Chinese medicine here to show how much I agree with you.

icyfire4w5 wrote:
Disclaimer: I frequently surf China's website, but I'm neither a citizen nor an inhabitant of China. Frankly speaking, I agree with Falungong practitioners that the Chinese Communist Party deserves to be overthrown.

Warning: Random ramblings

1. To be honest, I don't trust the author 100%. Some examples of "fetal education" are playing classical music regularly for your unborn child to hear and reading storybooks aloud to your unborn child. I have always assumed that mothers of all cultures practice "fetal education". Is there any culture that is devoid of "fetal education"?

2. I'm not joking with you all here. The last time I surfed China's websites, I discovered that some netizens had expressed concern that too many babies in China nowadays are born with double eyelids. In ancient Chinese art, almost every person featured had slitty eyes (single eyelids). These netizens worry that Chinese born with single eyelids will be going extinct soon.

3. Yes, sad but true, as long as people are wealthy enough to pay the hefty "social fostering fee", they can have more than one child.

4. I have stolen bits and pieces of info from a Chinese website entitled "Understand autism better through traditional Chinese medicine". Have a good laugh.

Autism has existed since ancient times. Ancient Chinese kids who haven't started speaking by the age of five or six were most probably autistic kids, but doctors in those days diagnosed them as "having a weak heart". A weak heart will weaken your tongue, hence delaying the age you start speaking. These ancient Chinese kids might be autistic too... Their parents had weak kidneys, resulting in semen and blood of poor quality. As a result, these kids were born with weak joints, took a long time to learn how to walk, took a long time to finish growing all their baby teeth and couldn't sit properly.

You have no say over the quality of your father's semen and your mother's blood, but if you are born frail, you can improve your health as you age by maintaining harmony between Yin and Yang.

Most autistic kids have weak spleens, some autistic kids have weak hearts, a minority of autistic kids have weak kidneys.

When your heart is weak, you are slow in speed and show poor visual-spatial perception. Your eyes and ears are affected too. You tend to speak at an inappropriate volume and/or speed because your heart (which controls your tongue) hasn't been working well.

Your liver controls how strong and supple your muscles are. It also controls how clear your vision is. If you strengthen your liver, your hand-eye coordination will eventually improve.

You are nourishing your brain when you nourish your spleen and your stomach. A well-nourished brain is usually logical.

Hi, here are some more bits and pieces stolen from another website. Q-u-a-r-k-e-r-y!

According to practitioners of traditional Chinese medicine, your parents' weak kidneys will give you weak health, increasing your risk of suffering from any developmental disorder. Anxiety, depression and anger often worsen signs and symptoms of autism. Your kidneys control your bones and your brain. They give you your sense of hearing and determine the quality of your hair. Weakened kidneys will weaken the brain in some way or another and affect your bones. Autistic babies' skulls usually take a longer period of time to harden than non-autistic babies' skulls. Some autistic people have prominent foreheads. Most autistic people took an exceptionally long time to finish growing all their baby teeth. Even as adults, autistic people's teeth tend to be small and crooked. Parents whose kidneys are weak usually produce kids whose kidneys are weak. Due to their weak kidneys, autistic people usually have poor sense of hearing, meaning that they often fail to detect various sounds in their surroundings. They have poor hand-eye coordination and visual-spatial perception. They tend to be clumsy at sports. Many autistic people display any combination of the following:
Sparse and/or lackluster hair
Ear polyp(s)
Myopia
Frequent urination
Bedwetting
The kidneys control fear. Many autistic people are timid and lack confidence in themselves because of their weak kidneys.
What can autistic people do?
Nourish their brain
Nourish their blood
Keep their hearts calm
Keep their minds clear