Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

sunnycat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2007, 3:18 am

I don't like being on med or being medicated...I wouldn't go against doctor's decisions, but I do my best to avoid any kind of medication...I agree that America is overmedicated...

RedMage
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2007, 3:53 am

I hate taking medication, as I forget to half the time. :x

Fraz_2006
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Mar 2007, 4:16 am

Cough medication, i dont mind. :)

But medication for the central nervious system, i am very weary about, but as long as people are making thier on choices about these things then i guess it isnt that bad. :)

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

17 Mar 2007, 6:37 am

You have to weigh the pros and the cons of medication in relationship to the needs you
have. In general if you feel you really have an optional to say you do not need them then you likely do not need them.

In my case I begin thinking about suicide non-stop if I'm not on an anti-dpressant. I have never really taken any effective meds for ADHD but my level of impariment from
inattentive type ADHD is amoung the worst it can get. So I'm interested in getting treatment for ADHD in the future(see the ADHD is not letting me get the help I need :) )

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2007, 7:47 am

I think it varies by person and what they want and need. Some are comfortable with meds and it helps them. I have no problem with that. I've had no luck with migraine meds as they either work for two hours (Imitrex/Sunaptrin) while my migraines last three days, they don't work at all or they don't really work but I'm so out of it I no longer care (Stadol). I've been the guinea pig of way too many doctors for migraines because what they kept thinking caused them ended up just being symptoms. So, those days are over.

I'm also now allergic to many meds because, as doctor after doctor has told me, you've been bombarded with them for too long until your body became resistant then allergic. Nice. I think I'll send them a thank you note. Not.

My trust level for doctors is non-existant at this point. I avoid them and guess what? I'm much better off. They "practice" medicine. That's the correct term for it. They aren't "practicing" on me any longer.

But, that's me. I don't expect anyone else to make decisions based on my experiences. Everyone must decide for themselves if they need a anti-depressant or if a year of writing non-stop and listening to classical music will do the trick. We're all different and it makes sense that different things will work for some people and not all.

earthdweller
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Mar 2007, 9:46 am

CNS medicine does not treat or cure any disease. But, of course, there is always an argument that it will help people.

What psychiatry is about can be traced back in time or up to the present moment...

Psychiatry is electroshock "therapy", insulin shock, lobotomy, seclusion, greed, shame, lies, harming innocent, biochemical torture, eugenic, and is slavery of mankind.

Its a religion of how we are supposed to think and feel. But I can fight fire with fire. Someday, the one-sided fables of the need seekers will speak of their darkest disaster. I will not feed them.

Behold, the meaning of life is insanity!

Depression helps me see problems out there - a part of me - addicted to me - the work of life. The reward comes after solving them... I fathom that the mind is useless unless I use it for my energy soul purposes. There are greater things in the universe then being a slave to my vicious animal cells called "brain". I will behave!

NoCriminalIntent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Mar 2007, 10:44 am

ZanneMarie wrote:

My trust level for doctors is non-existant at this point. I avoid them and guess what? I'm much better off. They "practice" medicine. That's the correct term for it. They aren't "practicing" on me any longer.

Been doing that for 20 years, and I am so much more healthy than friends my age. Only time I needed a doc was when I self diagnosed appendicitis and went into emergency, had it removed, and drove myself home from the hospital the next day.

but sometimes my anxiety over life gets too much and Im considering meds for the first time.

Starr
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2007, 10:46 am

I'm not automatically pro doctors, or meds, but if I didn't take anti-depressants I'd feel unbelievably bad, so for me, taking them isn't a choice, more of a necessity really.

simon2wright
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Mar 2007, 12:44 pm

I think medication can be very helpful, I have found prochlorperazine very helpful for anxiety, I would hate to go to the dentist without it.
Take care
Simon

fresco
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2007, 3:28 pm

I would like something to help me focus but am concerned that it may make me feel nervous.

earthdweller
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Mar 2007, 4:11 pm

I don't like stimulants and especially because I am very sensitive to stimulants. I am also not a user neurochemical-altering agents for my brain. However, experiencing pleasure is the way to go rather than something that blocks your emotions and your impulses to help focus. Focusing is related to stress but unless it is done doing things you enjoy or love or whatever then it is worthy to do...

Anyway, I don't like alcohol... And Kava kava is a toxic metabolizer in the liver...

But there are other herbal stuff out there that is sedative. Those kinds of substances don't require a prescription. And I am not sure what they are worth. Its just what I know.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

17 Mar 2007, 7:20 pm

if yer a boy most psychiatric meds are terrible for you. wich is why i dont take them

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

17 Mar 2007, 7:24 pm

earthdweller wrote:
. And Kava kava is a toxic metabolizer in the liver...

I thought the latest research showed that the liver toxicity was due to the practice of doing an extract of the entire plant but the natives in Polynesian Islands only use the roots and do not get liver toxicity.

earthdweller
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Mar 2007, 9:46 pm

I googled kava kava and did find information about this toxicity thing. The theory is that the root of the plant contains high levels of a detoxifier and an anti-oxidant which is one of the key enzymes that regulates as a filter of celluar toxicity. Its called glutathione. These researcher individuals who find this data beleive that this has a protective mechanism against the many toxicities in the plant.

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2007, 10:17 pm

Fraz_2006 wrote:
Cough medication, i dont mind. :)

But medication for the central nervious system, i am very weary about, but as long as people are making thier on choices about these things then i guess it isnt that bad. :)

I hope you don't do it regularly. I'm against just about any medication.

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2007, 10:35 pm

Quote:
I'm also now allergic to many meds because, as doctor after doctor has told me, you've been bombarded with them for too long until your body became resistant then allergic. Nice. I think I'll send them a thank you note. Not.

Same here.