Page 3 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Steven 7
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Feb 2019, 5:27 pm

Trogluddite wrote:
Steven 7 wrote:
Also, it is hard to say if I feel uneasy and at ease when others are away. For the most part when other people are away, I feel at ease because I feel like I can be myself more. That being said I have a deep connection with my mother and when she leaves and I’m alone then I do feel a bit uneasy because I don’t have anyone to talk to. When I act out, I usually pretend that I’m a character in one of my stories that I have created. Does that make me crazy? Does anyone else do anything similar?

This sounds very much like my life at your age (I wasn't diagnosed until my forties). Until my diagnosis really sank in, and I had learned so much on forums like this one, I led that kind of "double life"; but I didn't understand just how deep it went. If we assume for argument's sake that the diagnosis is correct, then you have been leading that double life since you were an infant - it is your "normal". Any other way is inconceivable. I do still live that way to a certain extent, but I'm slowly finding ways that suit me better.

Right throughout your development as a child, you would have been learning that your instincts could not be trusted, because they led you to accidentally break social rules. So you studied people. Learned how to mimic their behaviour as best you could. This process is no different than for any other child, except that the cognitive differences of autism can make modelling other people's minds much more difficult. You learn as best you can what you should do in any social situation, and to reproduce it; but understanding what people do is not the same as understanding why they do it. So the "simulation" can never be perfect. On one hand, you can never completely fool other people that you're "just like them", and on the other hand, anxiety about instinctive autistic behaviours encourages you to censor them even when you are alone.

"Acting out" or "scripting" might not just be fantasy or wish-fulfillment. I think there can be an element of using it to run thought experiments, to exercise our ability to see patterns in social rules. It can be dysfunctional if carried too far - I can spend hours daydreaming about how a social gathering that I have to go to might pan out; but no-one yet has ever followed the imaginary script that I wrote for them. But if it's not getting in the way of anything that you need to get done, or something that you'd really rather be doing, I don't see why it would be any more harmful than being an author or an actor.

My advice to you would be to allow your instinctive behaviours a bit more freedom when you are alone. Some of them may be natural coping mechanisms - to help deal with stress, and to give overworked parts of your brain a chance to unwind. It'll take some getting used to, but you'll have more energy for whatever steps you decide to take next.

Two other things...

1) The anxiety you are experiencing is perfectly normal. Almost every late-diagnosed person that I've spoken to about it has experienced it to some extent - it can be a roller-coaster ride, for sure, but it will ease. Diagnosis or not, you don't have to change anything unless you choose to; and if you do, you can do it as quickly or slowly as it suits you, and to whatever degree suits you.

2) The vast majority of what I have learned about autism has been taught to me by other autistic people in places like this one - virtually all of the practically useful stuff! If you find common ground with people here, and their advice helps you to improve your life, then it just does! Diagnosis or not, you're welcome here; and you seem to be settling in pretty well already!

Thank you, it's nice to be welcomed here. It's been a roller coaster ride for me because of the stress and the back and forth, do i don't i, thoughts that are in my head. They are maddening, and I wish that I could just fall on a spot that makes sense to me. Not surprisingly I did the same thing of am I or am I not with being gay. That drove me crazy until I finally did realize that yes, I am gay. My counselor ( who now believes I have Aspergers) suggested that I have a doubting part of myself that is there to question everything, and it does seem to be true, as I do question everything I'm presented with. The things that really gets me are the affirmation that I have gotten from my mom, my counselor and from myself. There are things that affirm that I do have Aspergers, like the way I act around other people, and how sounds, and some textures can bother me. But then there is the parts of me that don't seem Aspe, like me understanding sarcasm and even figures of speech. So it has been very stressful for me, and it does feel like a double life. The mask I show to the world is what I've put together to make sure I appear at least a little normal. When I take that mask off I'm usually stressed about everything and rocking to keep myself calm.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2019, 6:12 pm

Steven 7 wrote:
When I take that mask off I'm usually stressed about everything and rocking to keep myself calm.

Yes, that's something I understand well; and why I suggested to begin with your behaviour when you are alone. Changing your behaviour around other people is not an easy step, and not one which all of us choose to take. How much I let my mask down depends on the situation and how respectful my companions are. Of course, there's no logical reason why rocking should be seen as so socially unacceptable, and it ought not to be something which we're made to feel anxious about; but we have to live with the world as it is. When you're late-diagnosed it can be harder, too, because the people around us have become used to the way we behaved before - they can see it as "giving up", "getting more autistic", or as affectations to garner sympathy. Certainly, I'd advise against doing anything too drastic until you're comfortable with the diagnosis yourself, because you will be asked to explain yourself.

Steven 7 wrote:
understanding sarcasm and even figures of speech

I have little problem with those, either - in fact, my fascination with language means that I "collect" figures of speech and maybe even use them too much. Language isn't a single skill - it's a deeply interwoven web of many skills, each of which can be affected by autism to any degree. From what you have said, I would hazard a guess that, like me, you might still have issues with what linguists call the "pragmatic" part of language - understanding how people's intentions modify the meaning of words. For example:

Person 1: "Is John coming to the pub tonight?"
Person 2: "Susan is going to the pictures."

If we take the words alone, this seems like nonsense - Person 2 replied about a completely different person doing a completely different thing. But our understanding changes if I tell you that Susan is John's partner and they have small children, so John will be babysitting while Susan enjoys a night out. Same words, but the meaning is understood completely differently; and in real life, no-one spells these things out like I did just there, and they can be very subtle. Poor comprehension of these pragmatic contexts is often labelled "taking things literally", so people assume that we'd always struggle with other non-literal language, too - and some of us do, but often the issue is much less black-and-white than that.

Steven 7
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Feb 2019, 3:59 pm

Trogluddite wrote:
Steven 7 wrote:
When I take that mask off I'm usually stressed about everything and rocking to keep myself calm.

Yes, that's something I understand well; and why I suggested to begin with your behaviour when you are alone. Changing your behaviour around other people is not an easy step, and not one which all of us choose to take. How much I let my mask down depends on the situation and how respectful my companions are. Of course, there's no logical reason why rocking should be seen as so socially unacceptable, and it ought not to be something which we're made to feel anxious about; but we have to live with the world as it is. When you're late-diagnosed it can be harder, too, because the people around us have become used to the way we behaved before - they can see it as "giving up", "getting more autistic", or as affectations to garner sympathy. Certainly, I'd advise against doing anything too drastic until you're comfortable with the diagnosis yourself, because you will be asked to explain yourself.

Steven 7 wrote:
understanding sarcasm and even figures of speech

I have little problem with those, either - in fact, my fascination with language means that I "collect" figures of speech and maybe even use them too much. Language isn't a single skill - it's a deeply interwoven web of many skills, each of which can be affected by autism to any degree. From what you have said, I would hazard a guess that, like me, you might still have issues with what linguists call the "pragmatic" part of language - understanding how people's intentions modify the meaning of words. For example:

Person 1: "Is John coming to the pub tonight?"
Person 2: "Susan is going to the pictures."

If we take the words alone, this seems like nonsense - Person 2 replied about a completely different person doing a completely different thing. But our understanding changes if I tell you that Susan is John's partner and they have small children, so John will be babysitting while Susan enjoys a night out. Same words, but the meaning is understood completely differently; and in real life, no-one spells these things out like I did just there, and they can be very subtle. Poor comprehension of these pragmatic contexts is often labelled "taking things literally", so people assume that we'd always struggle with other non-literal language, too - and some of us do, but often the issue is much less black-and-white than that.

It feels almost impossible to let my mask down completely in front of others. For example, I have a neighbor who is nice, but yesterday in an act that I still don’t fully understand he slapped me on the arm. This has happened before to me by other people and I don’t fully get why. If I let my mask down in front of these people I would first be upset because the act of slapping my arm was unexpected and hurt. I would complain and ask why they did such a thing. Even if they gave me an answer I probably wouldn’t get why they had to slap my arm. I would be confused and hurt. But instead I don’t let my mask down and I bury my feelings down and instead make a little moaning sound leaving the whole thing awkward. I don’t make a big deal about it even though a part of me does want to. My question is why do people do this?

Your example is fascinating. Why wouldn’t person two just say that John was babysitting, why do they have to make it sound so strange? Even if I know Susan that would still confuse me for a while. If I think about it I can get it, but still people communicate strangely sometimes.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2019, 2:03 pm

Steven7 wrote:
Even if I know Susan that would still confuse me for a while. If I think about it I can get it, but still people communicate strangely sometimes.

Yes, I would be a rich man if I'd been given a pound for every time I'd been scolded; "Wasn't it obvious that I meant so and so?!". Just to make things more awkward, non-autistic people will assume that we are implying things "between the lines" when we are speaking, even when we're not - and we have no way to know what fictions they might be imagining!

Steven 7
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Feb 2019, 9:06 pm

Trogluddite wrote:
Steven7 wrote:
Even if I know Susan that would still confuse me for a while. If I think about it I can get it, but still people communicate strangely sometimes.

Yes, I would be a rich man if I'd been given a pound for every time I'd been scolded; "Wasn't it obvious that I meant so and so?!". Just to make things more awkward, non-autistic people will assume that we are implying things "between the lines" when we are speaking, even when we're not - and we have no way to know what fictions they might be imagining!

That is unfortunate that you've been scolded by others just because they were using language that is confusing. I've been a social recluse so I only go out a little in my day to day activities, so that has never happened to me.

gsilver
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2019, 12:21 pm

BTDT wrote:
I bought special earplugs for musicians for going to theaters. They don't distort the sound. They just make it weaker.

I should get some of those. I rarely go to the theater, but I went with a group yesterday. SO LOUD.
I don't understand how NTs can handle the aural assault.

I have regular earplugs, but things don't sound particularly good through them.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2019, 1:47 pm

Yes, the earplugs make sounds more pleasant without distorting them. The challenge is finding ones that fit your ears just right so you can wear them without discomfort.

Steven 7
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Feb 2019, 7:13 pm

Alterity wrote:
Steven 7 wrote:
With me it’s loud noise from people, like if someone even raises their voice a little its not pain that I feel but I can over react, and start crying or get really stressed over it. Loud sounds from a band or orchestra can send me over the edge also, although I have been able to sit through the noise before. When I go to the theater or anywhere noisy, I have headphones that I wear that help with keeping me calm.

Loud crowds can bother me, but in that case the noise typically isn't as bad as the feeling of the crowd's energy. I think I'm okay with people's voices now but when I was younger, if a harsh tone or yelling was directed at me it'd take everything I had to not burst into tears. I failed often. Movie theaters have always been abrasive sound wise but I've typically always been able to adjust.

Quote:
Smells are a different matter. It’s really mostly to do with food, but it can be other things as well. Some perfumes are unpleasant to me. When it comes to food touching, I never had a big problem with that, but if it was a food I didn’t like touching the food I did like, I couldn’t eat it at all. I’ve gotten better at being not as sensitive over that over the years.

Where I have food smells I dislike I can't think of anything that's caused a problem. I tend to find most perfume/cologne pretty awful. If something you don't like is touching other food, that food has obviously been contaminated lol

Quote:
Do you have a sensitivity to the texture of paper? I’ve found that if I cut my fingernails or if my hands are too dry then the feeling of paper on my skin is unbearable.

Yes! It's not always, but as you mentioned, when my hands are dry. Other 'slick' poor smooth things cause the same kind of reaction. Almost like tiny pin spots of electricity in my hands, that will run up my arms to my head and a general wiggy feeling throughout me. I typically have to grab my hand that's freaking out and squeeze it. The usually helps the feeling subside faster.

I'm the same way with crowds and movie theaters. My interest and even fixation is with movies, science fiction and fantasy movies to be exact. So I’ve gone to a lot of theaters over the years, when I was young I would always be nervous about going to the movies and the loud sounds didn’t help. Loud noises are the worst for me, I’m quiet most of the time and so if someone uses a louder more passionate voice, I can’t handle it. My mom is like that a lot, she tries to pump me up with her intense voice but all I feel is nervous because of how loud she sounds to me.

I'm the same with texture. I call it the icky feeling when it happens.

Anyone else interested in movies like me. I have a large collection of movies and many of them I watch over and over again, some have become fixations. When I was younger it was much worse then how it is now.

Steven 7
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Mar 2019, 6:33 pm

Did anyone here have trouble with reading and writing when they were in their middle teens. I still can't read well, or write well. I can do pretty good typing but actually writing things on paper I avoid because I can't do it very well.