Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

outerspacenik
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Aug 2019, 10:16 am

Does anyone else here find that neon or fluro colours make their brain more alert? Make their synapses snap? It definitely happens to me. Lime green in particular but also hot pink and orange. I have a lot of lime green objects in my house. Even an empty 'duck' brand toilet cleaner plastic bottle that i have held on to for years because i like the colour. I even have a neon lime green nylon handbag. It keeps my synapses snapping when i am away from home and need a quick fix for my brain fog or mental sluggishness.

outerspacenik

08 Aug 2019, 10:49 am

I sometimes wonder what it would be like to be inside a small room painted entirely in fluroescent lime green. I live in a rental property so i cannot paint the walls here. Can anyone else diagnosed with AS like me relate to this?

Last edited by outerspacenik on 08 Aug 2019, 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2019, 10:51 am

I like those kind of colors, too----but not all the time. If I'm constantly exposed to neon colors, I get a headache.

I like rooms that have a more "pastel" quality to them

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2019, 10:56 am

Neons hurt my head, I like soft colors

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2019, 11:00 am

I remember in the 80s when people wore neon clothes: hot pink and neon green and that piercing sky blue.

I have always liked muted colours, especially grey and soft blue. I can't stand white as it hurts my eyes.

Maybe neon is your special interest, or it's like a visual stim?

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2019, 11:06 am

I like all sorts of colors but they don't seem to snap my synapses. But I think it's really cool if yours respond that way.

Wreck It Ralph

outerspacenik

08 Aug 2019, 6:45 pm

Thank you Isabella for your observation and insight that it might be my visual stim. I never thought of that. Didn't know about visual stims. I am very visual anyway. Surprising since i was born severely short sighted and could barely see my hand a foot from my face until i got glasses when i was seven. Yet it is now my strongest sense modality. Hmm. I often feel i am a bunch of paradoxes a conglomerate of contradictions.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2019, 6:52 pm

I visual stim a lot. I will fixate on something soothing like the color nuances in people's hair or tree bark or something with a pattern or blades of grass or shimmers on the lake. I can spend quite a bit of time just staring and soaking in the soothing vibes I get from that. When I was little and I lived in Texas, I used to climb the monkey bars every day at school recess and spend the whole time sitting on next to the top one and visually stim on the dessert mountains. I could do that all day if they let me.

Wreck It Ralph

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2019, 7:01 pm

I was / still am obsessed with looking at pinwheels, and 1970s opaque Christmas lights.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2019, 10:04 pm

Neon colours are some of my most favourite colours. I feel more alert when I look at these colours and work with them. I find that neon green and pea green make my eyes pop. Those are my two favourite colours.

outerspacenik

09 Aug 2019, 6:52 am

Wow skibum thank you for your share about your visual stimming. So beautiful. What you have loved looking at and how you have described it. I think i am like you too but i have not known it until now. I am going to focus on it now and really enjoy it.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2019, 9:01 am

I find they hurt my eyes. There is something unnatural about these colors. Neon pinks, greens, and yellows are just too much.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2019, 12:04 am

I can't look at neon colours because they make my eyes hurt. I like pastels.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

outerspacenik

12 Aug 2019, 2:51 am

It's interesting how we are on two ends of the colour spectrum. The gentle soothing pastels and the punchy in your face neons. I like both but think the neons serve an actual purpose of making me more alert. As i said at the start it feels like they snap my snapses. Create an electrical chemical charge so there is an exchange between two synapses that might otherwise be too dormant or sluggish for this to happen. This is all just in my head of course. No proof or scientific evidence to back it up as far as i know. Lovely talking with all you extra-ordinary aspies.