Page 4 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

mmaestro
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2007, 4:11 pm

I don't know how realistic it would be to include, but one thing I thought might help would be phrasing some questions as milder forms of known disorders, for instance you could have "do you find it difficult to look someone else in the eye when in conversation," and "do you find it impossible to look someon else in the eye..." The reason is that I think that giving degrees can often be subjective, if you increase the number of questions and phrase different questions with varying degrees of severity, you'll likely get a more accurate picture of where someone sits on any given axis. I really didn't try to assess the questions in terms of ease of understanding, I'll maybe take a look at that tonight and post my thoughts.

Music of the Moment: Radiohead - In Rainbows

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2007, 4:56 pm

Well the whole idea is to establish the 'severity' of individual component. But there is more than one way to skin a cat shall we say

I wouldn't read too much into the current questions. They where just to test out the usability of the concept. While it does show some apparent trends there are clearly going to objectivity and scalability problems.

Doc_Daneeka
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Aug 2007, 5:05 pm

Repetitive or restricted Behaviours and Interests (RBI) - Stereotyped, repetitive behaviours and interests
Social Impairment (SI) - Social understanding
Language problems (L) - Speech, words and sentences
Planning, Organization and Concentration problems (POC) - Cognitive skills related to being able to plan, organise and stay focused
Imaging and Recall problems (IR) - Visualisation, imagination and remembering past events
Reasoning and Problem solving problems (RP) - Cognitive skills related to rational deduction and working things out
Sensory problems (S) - Impact of senses
Motor problems (M) - Control of own movement

RBI =7.5
SI=8.75
L=4.5
POC=8.75
IR=3
RP=4.25
S=5
M=5.75

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2007, 12:31 am

I think I've fugured out the optimal placement of the components for Aspie-quiz now.

First, I would have the figure rotated so that the straight line would be horisontal at the top and bottom. I would then devide it into two sections: The Aspie/neurodiversity section (the right side) and the NT section (the left side). Strangely enough, current groups allows the division of the groups into 4 Aspie groups (Aspie talent, Aspie communication, Aspie instinct and perception) and 4 NT groups (NT talent, NT communication, NT social and motor). I'll place talent at the top (which would make this the IQ/ability dimension) and perception + motor at the bottom (which would make this the physical adaptation dimension). The two communication groups would be on opposite sides, with NT social and Aspie instinct adjacent to them.

The scores for the NT groups would be inverted (10 - score) to make these ability-related instead of disability related. I think most people will get close to a circile that would be biased in some direction, for instance to the NT side or the Aspie side, to the ability side or to the perception / motor talent side.

Next I would map various DSM dxes to this concept. This can be done by using the average scores for these groups and creating an averaged presentation. That will give people a good idea about where different DSM dxes fit into the picture. ASDs, naturally, is the communication / social / instinct dimension.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2007, 12:45 am

0_equals_true wrote:
I've already thought about this and this is idea is flawed. Some abilities are actually disabilities depending on the context or point of view such a hypersensitivity to sound.

Yes, sometimes it is hard to see the difference between ability and disability, but I don't think the idea is flawed. The groupings I suggested above are all ability-centered. Hypersensitivity is *not* a disability. Acute perception is absolutely a ability-related trait. One only needs to look at what is in this group to realize it must be an ability and not a disability. The same thing goes for what I call the Aspie communication group, which includes stims, tics, odd gestures and alike. These are all abilities. That they often leads to disabilities among NTs is not relevant for their function. The talent groups (especially Aspie talent) are also related to IQ. The NT talent group more or less is composed of executive function problems, dyslexia and dyscalculia.

0_equals_true wrote:
The whole point of ASC is it does not specifically record abilities but rather ASC components. These components have to be established enough to merit going on there, though these are still fairly broad areas. I'm not aiming to prove a specific theory pertaining to autism, and won’t set up the test accordingly.

Well, I am, and I think I already proved it ;-)

0_equals_true wrote:
The aim is to start from a little bias as possible. Improve the objectivity of the questions. By objectivity I mean one person taking the test, will as close as possible to another person taking the test in how they would interpret questions. So definitely practical sections will play a part as well as improved questioning techniques. Then will use vector mapping and statistical training, etc to look for patterns in the data. Although the data will be collected centrally, anyone would be free to do their own analysis of that data. I’m interested in doing that myself, naturally.

OK, I keep a close look at what you are doing to see if I can use it myself ;-)

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2007, 7:35 am

Well rdos I think this is where our paths diverge. I wish you the best of luck with your theories. I think that it is important that people explore any theories. However I'm not going to endorse a particular theory and I want ASC to be a resource for all, it is through analysis that patterns be interpreted. I can't set the test up in such a way that it is an specifically aimed at a particular theory sorry.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2007, 11:02 am

OK, I see, so your tools aren't as free as you claim, but only available for people that don't have theories?Cool. I think if I can write an operating system in x86-asm I quite likely can read about how to create graphics with PHP. No problem.

Besides, doing these kind of things without theory or background data doesn't seem very professional to me, but as I wrote before, I'll keep a look at what you do to see if something useful comes out of it or not.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2007, 11:44 am

rdos wrote:
OK, I see, so your tools aren't as free as you claim, but only available for people that don't have theories?Cool. I think if I can write an operating system in x86-asm I quite likely can read about how to create graphics with PHP. No problem.

Besides, doing these kind of things without theory or background data doesn't seem very professional to me, but as I wrote before, I'll keep a look at what you do to see if something useful comes out of it or not.

No need to get shirty. Just said i wouldn't set up the asc for a particular theory. Though you probably are best looking up the php GD library:
http://uk.php.net/gd

There is no need to give credit. It is fairly easy library to use. My example might not be applicable to what you want to do. I use a gif image to form the plot background, then I use the imagepolygon to draw the plot using trig to create the vetors. You will need to tweak the angles because there is usually a graphical error for raster images.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2007, 11:50 am

This is the example I use

Code:
<?
# Load plot template gif

$im = @imagecreatefromgif ("asc_wp3.gif");

# Allocate the line colours

$blue = imagecolorallocate($im, 0, 100, 255);
$white = imagecolorallocate($im, 255, 255, 0);

# Set line style

$style = array($blue, $blue, $blue, $blue, $blue, $blue, $blue, $blue, $blue, $white, $white, $white, $white);
imagesetstyle($im, $style);

# 8 ASC component vectors, angle adjusted to take into account shift error

$rbi=167- ($_GET[rbi]*13.5);
$ir=167 + ($_GET[ir]*13.5);
$m_x = (empty($_GET[m])) ? 150 : 150 - ($_GET[m]*13.5)*cos(44.77);
$m_y  = (empty($_GET[m])) ? 167 : 167 - ($_GET[m]*13.5)*sin(44.77);
$si_x = (empty($_GET[si])) ? 150 : 150 + ($_GET[si]*13.5)*cos(44.77);
$si_y  = (empty($_GET[si])) ? 167 : 167 - ($_GET[si]*13.5)*sin(44.77);
$l = (empty($_GET[lg])) ? 150 : 150 + ($_GET[lg]*13.5);
$s= (empty($_GET[s])) ? 150 : 150 - ($_GET[s]*13.5);
$rp_x = (empty($_GET[rp])) ? 150 : 150 - ($_GET[rp]*13.5)*cos(44.77);
$rp_y  = (empty($_GET[rp])) ? 167 : 167 + ($_GET[rp]*13.5)*sin(44.77);
$p_x = (empty($_GET[poc])) ? 150 : 150 + ($_GET[poc]*13.5)*cos(44.77);
$p_y  = (empty($_GET[poc])) ? 167 : 167 + ($_GET[poc]*13.5)*sin(44.77);

# Draw polygon

imagepolygon($im, array (
        150,   $rbi,
        $si_x,$si_y,
        $l, 167,
        $p_x, $p_y,
        150, $ir,
        $rp_x, $rp_y,       
        $s, 167,
        $m_x,$m_y
    ),
    IMG_COLOR_STYLED);

# Palletise image

imagetruecolortopalette($im,0,32);

# Output to gif image

header("Content-Type: image/gif");
imagegif($im);
?>

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2007, 12:51 pm

OK, thanks. I already were on the track with GD. I thought you created the background with PHP as well which I'll probably do.

BTW, I haven't said anything about what you should do with ASC, or how you should set it up, I just offered you access to raw-data so you could improve the ASC. I thought your concept with the plots were nice, so I will implement this in the next stable version of Aspie-quiz as I've outlined above.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2007, 1:05 pm

rdos wrote:
OK, thanks. I already were on the track with GD. I thought you created the background with PHP as well which I'll probably do.

BTW, I haven't said anything about what you should do with ASC, or how you should set it up, I just offered you access to raw-data so you could improve the ASC. I thought your concept with the plots were nice, so I will implement this in the next stable version of Aspie-quiz as I've outlined above.

Yes I could do that but for the purposes of this version I just knocked a quick one up. You can use gradient and image fills.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2007, 2:31 pm

the geometric term would be 'polygon,' or, more accurately, 'octagon' (the sides and angles do not have to be equal for the term to apply).

The 'hours per day mute' question meant, I presume, waking hours?
Literal thinking, lack of facial expression, and monotone voice weren't mentioned.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2007, 2:48 pm

LKL wrote:

the geometric term would be 'polygon,' or, more accurately, 'octagon' (the sides and angles do not have to be equal for the term to apply).

Who said they did?

LKL wrote:
The 'hours per day mute' question meant, I presume, waking hours?
Literal thinking, lack of facial expression, and monotone voice weren't mentioned.

Fair comment. I'm working on a more in depth test.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 11:52 pm

I thought this was an interesting test so I decided to bump this old thread.

# Repetitive or restricted Behaviours and Interests (RBI) - Stereotyped, repetitive behaviours and interests
# Social Impairment (SI) - Social understanding
# Language problems (L) - Speech, words and sentences
# Planning, Organization and Concentration problems (POC) - Cognitive skills related to being able to plan, organise and stay focused
# Imaging and Recall problems (IR) - Visualisation, imagination and remembering past events
# Reasoning and Problem solving problems (RP) - Cognitive skills related to rational deduction and working things out
# Sensory problems (S) - Impact of senses
# Motor problems (M) - Control of own movement

RBI =8
SI=8.75
L=4.5
POC=3.25
IR=2.75
RP=4
S=4.75
M=3.75

BainAduial
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Jan 2008, 12:25 am

# Repetitive or restricted Behaviours and Interests (RBI) - Stereotyped, repetitive behaviours and interests
# Planning, Organization and Concentration problems (POC) - Cognitive skills related to being able to plan, organise and stay focused
# Imaging and Recall problems (IR) - Visualisation, imagination and remembering past events
# Reasoning and Problem solving problems (RP) - Cognitive skills related to rational deduction and working things out

RBI =7.75
SI=6.75
L=3.25
POC=7.5
IR=5
RP=6.25
S=3.75
M=3.5

Interesting. Is it bad that I keep getting distracted looking at people's graphs and enjoying the shapes they make? So far I've got a variety of hats, some interesting pac-man characters, a few aliens...

ManErg
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2008, 3:00 am

RBI =6.25
SI=8.75
L=2.75
POC=5.25
IR=4.25
RP=4.75
S=5.5
M=3.5