Have you ever been discriminated against due to AS?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2007, 12:43 am

I mean, definitely due to AS, as in, someone actually said it was the AS that was the problem.

My mother accused two of my teachers (my guidance counselor and social studies teacher in grade 11 and my biology teacher in grade 12) of giving me lower marks because of my AS (but then she changed her mind and said the bio teacher gave me the low mark because I was from Quebec, and that maybe I deserved the not-perfect-but-still-very-good mark from the SS teacher.)

Once my mother said to me out of the blue that I couldn't always follow rules; I had to be flexible. We weren't even talking about rules or inflexibility of any kind from anyone! We weren't talking about anything having to do with any mental disorder either, or of anyone being inflexible, or of anyone at all. I'm just like, "Where did that come from?"

I think there were other moments too... once my mother was talking about getting me a watch and said that she would prefer it if I didn't have a digital watch because she read some stupid thing in a stupid book about how traditional clocks were better for people with AS. :?

My mother also once said that she was unsure if going to a concert with my cousin would really have a pro-social benefit on me. She's like, "I mean, Kate... loud noises..." I have never in my life complained about loud noises (except my mother's abrasiveness... I didn't know how to describe it so I said loudness). She'd been reading a LOT of generalizing, brainwashing books lately. :roll:

There were others as well but I can't remember right now.

steve30
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Sep 2007, 2:49 am

I know what you mean. I find I get treated slightly different to how I used to be, which could be the results of those books which give a generalisation.

girl7000
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2007, 5:58 am

I'm sorry to hear that you are having these problems - it sounds like it must be pretty frustrating!

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2007, 11:46 am

Anyone with a disability or what the general public percieves to be a disability has to deal with discrimination by the society at large to some extent, rather those doing it will admit to it or not. It's been that way for a long time, public perception of disability is more or less that we're a sub-human species who are to be pitied and who are supposed to abide by their stupid little pecking order.

samtoo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2007, 11:48 am

There are some downright b******* in this world. But the bullies in this world usually end up having s*** lives.
Some don't... some rise really high and it sucks. But don't let them get through to you. Much easier said than done but such people who bully us are jerks and will have no respect from decent people.