Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

aimeeandbeatles
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Aug 2007, 3:31 pm

Sometimes

1. My arms and legs start 'spasming'...cramping up and flying in weird direction. Also, at computer desks, I bang my arm on the desk. People hear it on the microphone and ask me what I'm doing.
2. Whenever I lose my balance (a lot!), I look like I'm dancing. :?
3. Sometimes when I'm speaking, I stop speaking intelligably and start making weird screechy noises. Also, people hear this on the mic too.
4. Sometimes, I lose control of all my muscles and just...fall. On the floor. I got in trouble at school for this. They thought I was acting up.

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

01 Aug 2007, 3:35 pm

ya i get alot of muclse spasms myself, probably normal... My balance, well.... i ride a bike but would never skateboard.

MrSinister
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2007, 5:26 pm

I get those too, although thankfully not to a really severe degree. I haven't caused myself serious injury yet, so that's a plus, I guess...

Cervantes
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Aug 2007, 5:56 pm

I get them too, though not to that degree. But my arm will jerk up or I'll kick out or something unintentional. And I have pretty bad balance too, though I always put that down to ankle injury.

Does anyone know, is this something AS related, or is it just coincidental?

-
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Aug 2007, 8:49 pm

The fourth symptom sounds almost like a seizure. You may want to get that checked out.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2007, 9:56 pm

It isn't AS related. The fact that autistics tend to have smaller and more densly packed neurons COULD conceivably cause problems like cross talk, and that could explain the skewed senses, etc... That could ALSO make seizures more likely. I have had some similar things, but FAR more subtle, etc... The ones I have are so subtle that I wonder if maybe everyone doesn't periodically get them. BTW mine might happen for .75seconds every 3 years or so, and be hardly visible to anyone looking at me at the time. It USED to be more like minutes every year, but they still only lasted seconds each time. Still, they are there.

Steve

bizmack
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Aug 2007, 10:15 pm

I have these weird jecking motions in my stomach that cause my upper toreso to shoot back and forth at random times...my arm also twitches 3-4 times a week periodically......

hmmm dense neurons you say may cause this in autistics, sounds interesting enough for me to do further research...

Desolation_boi
Raven
Raven

01 Aug 2007, 11:26 pm

I dunno about the spasms but the 4th thing sounds like cataplexy. Not particularly life threatening.

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2007, 11:36 pm

pretty sure it is just coincidental. I don't really have muscle spasms, but I get twitches every great once in a while, and I have RLS.

I'm my own guinea pig.

Kelsi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Aug 2007, 7:13 am

Try taking magnesium and vitamin B6 every day for a few weeks and see if you notice any difference.

aimeeandbeatles
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Aug 2007, 7:59 am

Yeah. Sometimes I fall out of my chair but thats mainly because the wheel is broken and keeps falling off.

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2007, 9:18 am

I have muscle spasms not too infrequently, including eye twitching. Note: I don't have an AS diagnosis.

Woman
Raven
Raven

03 Aug 2007, 9:05 am

MrSinister wrote:
I get those too, although thankfully not to a really severe degree. I haven't caused myself serious injury yet, so that's a plus, I guess...

Same here - in my hands, legs, neck

yasuko_latexcat
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Aug 2007, 6:07 pm

I usualy, from time to time, have spams in my neck region which twiches my head to the side.

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2007, 7:00 pm

My entire body jerks at times and it is really annoying. I used to have seizures and that was bad. They were not real seizures but pseudo seizures instead caused by trauma. But I still have the body jerks. I also stare into space for no reason at all.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2007, 8:45 pm

If you're having muscle spasms you need more magnesium.