Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Michel Ardan
Butterfly
Butterfly

Yesterday, 3:30 pm

I’m currently reading Unmasked Autism by Dr Devon Price. In chapter 4, it is written:

Dr Devon Price wrote:
The longer [Neurotypicals] are in the presence of a sound, smell, texture, or visual cue, the more their brain learns to ignore it, and allow it to fade into the background. […] The exact opposite is true for Autistic people: the longer we are around a stimulus, the more it bothers us.

Is this true for all sensory input? I am able to ignore smell over time but not sounds. For example, I have family living by large shallow ponds that smell rotten egg but I stop smelling it very rapidly, no more than a few hours after arriving in the smelly zone. On the other hand, I’m always heard the water running in the pipes of the heating system of my apartment building after 7 years in it (it’s quieter than normal voices in the flat, but way louder than it should be), and drilling sounds in the walls never get better as the day passes. I also struggle with itchy clothes, even when I’ve been wearing them for a long time (way more than during one day, like 3 year-old shirts).

utterly absurd
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

Yesterday, 4:53 pm

I'm the same way. Some stimuli are easy to ignore, others are impossible.

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 5:20 pm

It's a mix of true and not-necessarily-true.

Generally speaking, human beings can and do adapt to their surroundings to a remarkable degree, and can learn to tune-out many thing. A simple example is the tip of your own nose. Humans are generally capable of seeing their own nose on their own face - but most people hardly notice, cos they're so used to it, they tune it out.

There is a limit to this ability, and it varies with the individual. Sensory input can take many forms that prohibit or inhibit the ability to tune it out. Some autistics are hypersensitive, which likely would make it more difficult to tune out a given stimulus. Some are hyposensitive, which may make them tune-out even more than they mean to. Some are both, and are all over the place as to what they're oversensitive to, and what they're under-sensitive to.

Hypersensitivity can make tuning things out more difficult, but it doesn't make it impossible. One major factor is the mindset of the individual. If they always tell themselves that bright light is literal torture, and persist in behaving like it is, then they will simply "get used" to the idea of seeing bright light as torture. OTOH, if they approach it from the perspective of "bright light is uncomfortable, duh, so I'm not even gonna think about it, and just carry on as best I can", they're in a better position to "tune it out", cos they're not psyching themselves up about how awful it is.

This process also requires consistent exposure, in order to get used to the stimulus or stimuli - a tendency towards avoidance of discomfort rather than tolerance of discomfort can hinder or prevent the process.

I personally am atypically sensitive in all of my senses, with a few random hyposensitivities - I've learned how to tune them out to a fairly effective degree, so while I don't enjoy them, they don't typically overload me, either. I've also learned to be more aware of things I tended to be unaware of.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 9:35 pm

In my case, it's mix and match relative to my current state.

Turns out; the most consistent thing for me was the inability to ignore internal sensations; this includes emotions, feelings, thoughts and ideas -- not easy to let go or ignore. I've been fighting it for most of my life.

The closest breaks I got from my interoception was overwhelming myself with workouts.
Or finding ways to even my hormones. Or overcoming certain loops and ending them.

Anything else just has less filter.
Intensity and tolerance can vary for me related to my reproductive cycle's hormones.

And the only way I can ignore countless input is through intense focus. But that requires me to pass through a particular thresholds.

Otherwise; my senses doesn't change much in filtering and subjective intensities that I experience.
I can only adapt by increasing my threshold and tolerance.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.