Page 4 of 6 [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

jimmyjazzuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jul 2023, 6:11 pm

Thanks for the other posts I literally can't read at the minute too over stimulated but will have a look soon

jimmyjazzuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jul 2023, 6:12 pm

Lecia_Wynter wrote:
jimmyjazzuk wrote:
what do you do to avoid over stimulation from light bulbs late at night? they stress me out and cause insomnia

i put a blanket or pillow over my eyes

I do that too! Or sit in dark room. Or put a sleep mask on.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2023, 6:17 pm

jimmyjazzuk wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
jimmyjazzuk wrote:
oh thats a good idea!

How are things going now, jimmy?

I sticky taped paper over the lamp shades to add extra shade. Parents think it's a fire risk but the bulbs aren't hot so I think it's fine. It's just a temporary measure. I have one new light stacked on books. I have three standing lights ordered from Amazon still in boxes lol

:heart: Glad to hear it. It sounds very nice!

jimmyjazzuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jul 2023, 6:20 pm

It's going to be great when I get over the executive dysfunction!

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2023, 6:21 pm

jimmyjazzuk wrote:
It's going to be great when I get over the executive dysfunction!

Do you mean, if ... ? :lol: I'm speaking for myself. If I had something to assemble in a box it would likely sit there for weeks if not months, even though I don't mind putting things together.

jimmyjazzuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jul 2023, 6:43 pm

I like to think positive lol I think it's been a month already so I better like them because they might be out of warranty 8O

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2023, 7:34 pm

WELL NOT FUN.. went out to do alittle yard maintenence, and guess i moved out to a large area of a flower bed..
of sorts looks very good without vine overgrowth , flowers blooming or not . So after doing some vine overgrowth work on a taller ladder ..around a tree. Went out into the Sun .And did a lot of ground pulling of vines .And out in the Sun for about a hour , Started to get physically weak and kinda brain foggyish. And eventually started panting .. then back into the shade to sit and managed another. 1/2 hour of work in the shade .But after a fashion , and trying to get more work as in putting tools away.Then got very sick and being inside with air condition did not help , and much water, Down rest of the day and evening barely being able to move. After about 3 hours could get up. Very still body .And much more water and light nut snack . Faded back to being alittle normal . Added pain killers and can move about with only sinus congestion. :roll: ..Heard some people are allergic to Sun....But how can you live without light ..
Already has isdues with small print and extra light to read .. :nerdy:

where ever you go ,there you are

jimmyjazzuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Jul 2023, 9:45 pm

nomoore wrote:
For me, bright light from a single source stresses me out. LED and fluorescent lights stress me out. Glare (like off a shiny car) kills me. Bright headlights at night kill me.

I live with others who like a lot of light so my first line of defense is my FL-41 tinted glasses and my hat. FL-41 is a tint that has been found to help people who have light sensitivity. I had to search for an eyeglass vendor who could tint my prescription glasses with it though. And the one I found had to call their lab to see if it could be done. You can get clip on FL-41 shades to use if you wear prescription glasses and you can get FL-41 tinted (non-prescription) "migraine" glasses on Amazon and some other vendors if you want to try it out. I've heard some autistic people prefer other colors so YMMV.

As for lighting itself, here's some things that help me. Keep in mind some of these things are to reduce blue light, which I and many others are sensitive to.
--Use lower wattage bulbs distributed throughout the room instead of one or two fixtures full of 60 watt equivalent bulbs--
--Use "warm" 3000k yellow bulbs in every light fixture
--Use indirect lighting where the only thing that "sees" the bulb or diffuser is the wall or some other object. Light bounced off a -wall is so much easier to look at because the light is spread out a bit over the surface of the wall and dimmed in comparison to looking at the bulb or a thin diffuser. As has been said previously, moving the light source away from the wall increases this effect, though the farther from the wall the harder it is to hide the light source.
--Use incandescent bulbs whenever possible (salt lamps are great! Lava lamps are fun). CF (or any fluorescent) flickers. LED often flickers, especially when used with a dimmer. CF and LED also put off a lot of blue light which many people are sensitive to, including me.
--Install light switches with dimmers (if you must use with LED or CF make sure the lights are compatible with dimmers)
-- Your TV/phone/tablet/computer screen is a light source. Limit exposure if possible. When you can't limit, use night mode (turns the screen brown/amber) as much as possible, even during the day. Adjust your TV color settings to "Warm".

Thanks for the tips. Interesting about the tinted glasses. Whats a diffuser by the way?

nomoore
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Aug 2023, 9:18 am

When referring to lighting, a diffuser is the "frosted" plastic or glass cover that hides the bulb from view. It's not a diffuser if it's totally clear.

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2023, 4:27 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I don't use lightbulbs.

My house is candle lit, or else I have little dim nightlights in the hallway sockets.

Sometimes I use a little string of fairy lights.

If I'm reading a book, I'll just put the fairy lights on my lap.

That's pretty clever. Although, I would be paranoid about candles. It's the fire thing. Candles can be relaxing.

IsabellaLinton mentioned nightlights. That was my initial thought. Also, maybe lights with a low lumen value?
Would dimmer switches help?
I do not have light sensitivity issues, so I don't know where the threshold of discomfort starts.

jimmyjazzuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Aug 2023, 5:49 pm

I used to have light dimmers in my room at parents house it was heavenly didn't realise how good I had it!

jimmyjazzuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Aug 2023, 5:52 pm

Didn't even think about lumens usually look at watts!

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2023, 5:54 pm

I have dimmer switches in every room of the house but I still don't use them because they're connected to overhead lights, which I don't like. Also we can only get LED bulbs here now and they don't dim to zero or even close to zero. The range is barely perceptible in some rooms, although it's not bad in my kitchen or bedroom. I like the dimmers with coloured bulbs but my kids say it bugs them if and when they do need to turn a light on for something, so I had to keep regular bulbs installed.

Candles - Most of them are tea candles or else hurricane lamps with the glass. I only use them when I'm in that room, and don't leave them going all over the house.

jimmyjazzuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Aug 2023, 6:04 pm

Did you say earlier which fairy lights you recommend?

jimmyjazzuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Aug 2023, 6:18 pm

Ok need dimmer switch and gauze

jimmyjazzuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Aug 2023, 6:19 pm

I'm guessing they're all LED