Interests you can't share with other people

Page 3 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2023, 6:36 pm

Fairfield wrote:
DirkGently69 wrote:
Are there websites for the body farms they have in the U.S?

I don't really know. I haven't looked at that type of stuff much in the past year, and I mostly kept it to a couple subreddits that are somehow still up. I've seen some pictures and videos from body farms from those subreddits, but I don't know if they really publicly publish their findings that often if that's what you're curious about.

I'm kind of interested in this. It's not that I like the gore factor, and it's not that I want anyone to be hurt like that, but my microanalysing brain which can't picture things ever, tries to imagine. I wanted to know what a body looked like from drowning because I couldn't picture it and I had no idea. Then, I immediately wanted to forget. It's more like information-seeking for me than sensory or gore seeking.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2023, 6:41 pm

In Uni I had a friend who was in the Physiotherapy program and she got to work on cadavers. One day she took me to the cadaver room where they had a few full bodies donated to science, but also pickled body parts in formaldehyde. I remember seeing the bottom of an adult man's foot floating in a jar. The specimen was preserved so they could learn about all the rings in the skin, and the fat pads on feet.

I thought it was really cool and wasn't remotely upset by any of it. Maybe it's my alexithymia or maybe I'm just super-analytical. I want to know how things work, and that includes human bodies. It all seemed kind of fake anyway, because we get desensitised to see that type of stuff as special effects in movies or art.

DirkGently69
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2023, 6:54 pm

I think I’m the same. It’s all about information seeking. When I did my nursing degree I did several pracs in cosmetic and surgical theatre. Watching people have boob jobs, skin blemishes, nose jobs etc was interesting, but watching people get hip and knee replacements, complex breaks repaired was great. The surgeons were so much rougher than you would imagine when articulating the old, then new joints. The drills and saws and hammers they use are pretty cool as well.

Fairfield
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2023, 7:34 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Fairfield wrote:
DirkGently69 wrote:
Are there websites for the body farms they have in the U.S?

I don't really know. I haven't looked at that type of stuff much in the past year, and I mostly kept it to a couple subreddits that are somehow still up. I've seen some pictures and videos from body farms from those subreddits, but I don't know if they really publicly publish their findings that often if that's what you're curious about.

I'm kind of interested in this. It's not that I like the gore factor, and it's not that I want anyone to be hurt like that, but my microanalysing brain which can't picture things ever, tries to imagine. I wanted to know what a body looked like from drowning because I couldn't picture it and I had no idea. Then, I immediately wanted to forget. It's more like information-seeking for me than sensory or gore seeking.

For me it's like half information-seeking, and half just a sick fascination that I've always had. lolol

That possum from last year kind of reignited my interest in this stuff, I purposely hadn't thought about or looked into stuff about this for awhile until that whole situation happened. Like, instead of throwing it in the trash like my aunt made me, I honestly lowkey wanted to just chuck it over the fence so I could come back to it and watch it decompose more, because I've always wanted to be able to watch an animal decompose over time and take notes about it. I also wanted to keep the possum skeleton we found because it was an intact, clean specimen, but I knew my aunt would freak if I tried. And even though it was really f****d up situation, I was lowkey kind of fascinated and excited the whole time I was trying to find the possum and get it out from the crawlspace, because I had never actually been into contact with a dead and decomposed animal before. I started sometimes looking at stuff like this again after all of that. It's kind of weird, and only my online friend knew about it until now because everyone else I know would 100% think I'm a budding serial killer if I told them just how fascinated I am by this type of stuff, even though I never have and never would hurt an animal or person. lmao

Campingbare
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Nov 2023, 7:44 pm

MagicMeerkat wrote:
I freely shared my special interests as a child but got in trouble for it. So now as an adult, I don't like to talk about my special interests unless it's with another person who also has that same topic as a special interests.

Same with me. I found that no one wanted to listen to me going on about my special interest, so like @MagicMeerkat, I learned to keep mum unless someone opened the door by showing their own interest in the subject.

So basically, I can't share ANY of my special interests with other people in general

Meyer-Briggs: INTP Comorbidities: Narcolepsy, NPD, Alexithemia, Dyspraxia, Prosopagnosia, Anomia, IBS
........................If God meant for us to go around naked, we'd have been born that way........................

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2023, 8:12 pm

i share my PG-rated special interests with the ambient air itself, and if anybody overhears, i hope they get some entertainment out of it.

Weight Of Memory
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Nov 2023, 7:29 am

GreenVelvetWorm wrote:
Weight Of Memory wrote:
MagicMeerkat wrote:
She's never expressed any intrest anyway but if she did I probably wouldn't let her becuase she'd correct me about any grammar or spelling mistake instead of the story itself. This isn't a school assignment. If people bully me for my poor grammar or not making a paragraph "correctly", I think that says more about them than it does me. I'm writing this story for fun, not for someone with a fetish for perfect grammar.

Criticizing someone's poor spelling and grammar is bullying? Strange take for someone with autism, a condition that frequently results in attention to detail to the point of being pedantic and nitpicky.

This sounds like a criticism but I don't understand the point you're trying to make. Are you saying they're bad at being autistic because they don't want someone to focus on their grammar and spelling instead of their story? (sorry if I'm misunderstanding)

Autistics usually have high attention to details. Autistics are often criticized for being negative, nitpicking, pedantic, perfectionist, judgmental, etc because they notice little errors.

So for an autistic to complain someone would engage in that behavior towards them - especially about something as straightforward as correct spelling and grammar - is an incongruity bordering on hypocrisy.

Weight Of Memory
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Nov 2023, 7:35 am

BillyTree wrote:
Since my early teens I have been fascinated by reading about and wanting to learn more about extreme political movements on the far right, crazy sects, networks of conspiracy theorists and other groups with extreme world views. I have read a lot of books and watched documentaries on these subjects. It's the "craziness" of their ideas, the paranoid borderline pathological world view of these groups, that fascinate me. I have no reason to hide this from other people but they find it hard to share my interest in learning more about a "bunch of lunatics".

I've read a couple books in recent years about conspiracy theories trying to understand things like Q.

I quickly lost interest in the subject. Basically, every conspiracy theory is the same. The specifics often change but the core reasons for the conspiracy and why people are attracted to it are all the same. Then, now, always.

Readydaer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2023, 7:54 am

the common person does not know what Touhou Project is and doesn't really care to. If I want to talk about it I really only have the World Wide Web to talk to other people about it.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2023, 6:55 pm

GreenVelvetWorm wrote:
TikvaBall wrote:
I think the one I live in fear of people finding out about is a message board I go on. I love going on message boards about my special interests because I want to talk about them, but most people in my life couldn't give two flips. Years ago I was looking for forums about plushies because that's my main special interest, and I found a really awesome forum where I learned a lot about plushies. The thing that was awkward for anybody else to see was that it's a fetish site. They probably wonder what I'm doing there because I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who would go there regularly who didn't have the fetish. Sadly the forum is barely active anymore, but I used to live in dread that someone would see the laptop.

I sometimes avoid telling people I'm a furry for similar reasons. Personally I'm not interested in it for sexual reasons, but a lot of people think that's what the entire fandom is about. I don't have anything against that part of the fandom, I just wish people didn't jump to the conclusion that all of it is automatically sexual when it's not.

As a side note, I think I've encountered that forum before when I was looking for plushie communities outside of reddit (they aren't my special interest but I love plushies). Maybe I should have stuck around, it sounds like it had some good general plushie info

I'm a furry too. But not for the sexual side to it. I just want to be an animal. Always wanted to make my own plushies. Of species most people don't know exist such as fossas, saiga antelope, Saola, palm civets. Once upon a time no one seemed to know what meerkats were either. But now, since they are my main special interests my IRL nickname is Meerkat Queen. My fursona originally was a meerkat but now it's an alien species I made up that's kind of like a cross between meerkats and fossas.

IDK if I've ever had any taboo special interests like serial killers or poop but they way I was treated as a child for ANY special interests made be feel like I might as well be. My BIGGEST special interests were meerkats, Lion King, and veterinary medicine. Now they're meerkats, veterinary medicine and Rocket Raccoon.

BugsBunnyFan
Raven
Raven

14 Nov 2023, 2:45 am

BillyTree wrote:
Since my early teens I have been fascinated by reading about and wanting to learn more about extreme political movements on the far right, crazy sects, networks of conspiracy theorists and other groups with extreme world views. I have read a lot of books and watched documentaries on these subjects. It's the "craziness" of their ideas, the paranoid borderline pathological world view of these groups, that fascinate me. I have no reason to hide this from other people but they find it hard to share my interest in learning more about a "bunch of lunatics".

Same with me. That got me into studying Hebrew. A few days before the war, I decided to take a break from Hebrew. Now I’m studying a less controversial language.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2023, 2:29 pm

GreenVelvetWorm wrote:
I've never had an eating disorder, and I don't know anyone with one in real life (as far as I know). The only person I've told about this is my partner, because I occasionally infodump to him about different EDs and common misconceptions surrounding them. At first he was slightly concerned, but he's realized that it's just another random interest of mine.

I say, roll with it. :D Keep diving in and learning new things about EDs until the next special interest grabs your attention. That’s kind of how it works for me.

And just in passing [with under-trying, which often works the best] , you might be able to help some other people. For example, maybe with a link you think is better than average, or what in your judgement is the top 3 features, etc. [I really think we human beings often have this weird quirk in which we get an overview of something by a set of three main facts or three big categories]

Here’s something which interests me about eating disorders—

With anorexia, I read that some recent thinking is that it’s not 100% psychological. But it might also be the fact that the body’s “thermostat” for appetite has gotten re-set.

GreenVelvetWorm
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Nov 2023, 9:01 pm

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
GreenVelvetWorm wrote:
I've never had an eating disorder, and I don't know anyone with one in real life (as far as I know). The only person I've told about this is my partner, because I occasionally infodump to him about different EDs and common misconceptions surrounding them. At first he was slightly concerned, but he's realized that it's just another random interest of mine.

I say, roll with it. :D Keep diving in and learning new things about EDs until the next special interest grabs your attention. That’s kind of how it works for me.

And just in passing [with under-trying, which often works the best] , you might be able to help some other people. For example, maybe with a link you think is better than average, or what in your judgement is the top 3 features, etc. [I really think we human beings often have this weird quirk in which we get an overview of something by a set of three main facts or three big categories]

Here’s something which interests me about eating disorders—

With anorexia, I read that some recent thinking is that it’s not 100% psychological. But it might also be the fact that the body’s “thermostat” for appetite has gotten re-set.

Thanks for the excuse to share some info, I do think it's useful for people to know about

Anorexia has the highest death rate of any mental illness.

People often assume that restrictive eating disorders are just a response to societal beauty standards that over-emphasise thinness, but based on first-person accounts of people's goals and motivations for their restrictive EDs, that seems to be just one factor. Amoung goals, I've seen:
looking more feminine / looking more masculine / looking genderless, looking powerful and in control so people will respect me, looking weak and fragile so people will be kind to me, looking more attractive so I can find a partner, looking frightening so no one will ever touch me again, looking as sick on the outside as I feel on the inside so that I'll be "worthy" of treatment, achieving a number on the scale that I consider a "perfect" number (without caring how it affects my appearance).

What is more consistent is the presence of other overlapping mental health problems, such as ptsd, ocd, depression and anxiety. When trying to help a loved one with an eating disorder, it's best to focus on supporting their mental health, and avoid talking specifically about their body and their eating habits if you aren't their doctor. Commenting on how thin they look can just reinforce the behaviours, and pushing them to eat more without addressing the underlying problems can result in distrust and rebounds.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2023, 9:28 pm

I love to watch nail fungus videos, especially podiatrist videos.

swrider
Raven
Raven

20 Nov 2023, 11:32 pm

I have shared with a few people but I have a couple special interests in adult topics that I mostly keep to myself.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2023, 12:04 am

moi aussi.