Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2007, 12:44 pm

I read some comments about speaking/thinking of ones self in 3rd person on another thread. I didn't want to hijack the other thread, so I thought I'd start a new one. How many of you think or speak of yourself in 3rd person ie; using your name to refer to yourself instead of I? I don't think that I've ever done this, but my son does. He also has a very hard time with personal pronouns. He's always mixing up he with she ect. This is supposed to be one of those tell-tale signs of ASD. I've never heard anyone referring to it on this board before today, so now I'm curious as to whether or not people with AS do this often, or if it's mostly just those with classic autism that do it.

CentralFLM
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Sep 2007, 12:52 pm

I don't do that, but I almost feel like I am two people (the conscious person and subconscious I am always trying to talk to or convince myself of something). I literally talk to myself out loud, but usually not. I am always trying to convice myself to do a certain thing or be a certain way.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2007, 12:52 pm

I once knew a very lonely man who referred to himself as "we".

ev8
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Sep 2007, 12:57 pm

CentralFLM wrote:
I don't do that, but I almost feel like I am two people (the conscious person and subconscious I am always trying to talk to or convince myself of something). I literally talk to myself out loud, but usually not. I am always trying to convice myself to do a certain thing or be a certain way.

Nail on the head.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2007, 1:07 pm

I never do this. Sometimes I'll think about myself from another person's perspective, but that's as far as I'll go.

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2007, 1:12 pm

I never do this either...except sort of I have this habit of saying this one thing to myself that's sort of referring to myself in the third person I guess. But basically I never do this, and never had any issues with pronouns.

Cooper
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Sep 2007, 1:13 pm

I confuse pronouns when I'm feeling really flustered. I don't confuse I/you, though, I just mess up he/she/they. I don't refer to myself in the third person.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2007, 1:24 pm

I dont confuse pronouns most of the time... the only thing I do consistently get confused is the er/ess suffix to certain occupations. Because of this, anything with the female -ess suffix (waitress, hostess, stewardess, etc.) I will use the male name (waiter, host) as a non-gender specific name... it pisses off my aunt to no end because she's an overt feminist and doesn't realize that my usage is non-specific, but instead thinks I'm using the male gender...

M_LibertyGirl
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Sep 2007, 2:02 pm

I do refer to myself in third person. Quite often actually.But I don't do it because I confuse the pronouns.

"The thought manifests as the word. The word manifests as the deed. The deed develops into habit. And the habit hardens into character. So watch the thought and its ways with care. And let it spring from love, born out of concern for all beings."

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2007, 2:12 pm

I'm like lightning88 in this case. I may see myself in an objective way, may even view myself in a dream, or memory/my imagination, as seperate. I may even say we/our, etc... instead of I/mine, when talking about abilities or accomplishments, to appear less arrogant, but that is as far as it goes.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2007, 2:14 pm

am kanners aut/not aspergan and do this,am use own name sometimes,but mostly [am] instead,it makes more sense and feels more comfortable.

Noa
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Sep 2007, 3:09 pm

I find that I self-narrate occasionally. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with a perceptual or language glitch, because I have never felt any urge to speak of myself in the third person. I believe it's just an occasional playful twist to my constant rumination and poor self-esteem. Like KingdomofRats says, perhaps it just feels a little more comfortable at times. Don't know why.

rathermousie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Sep 2007, 9:32 pm

I don't remember how it started but I spoke in the 3rd person for most of middle school. I am pretty sure it started as a joke and I got a reaction I liked. It became a habit that took me quite a while to stop once I got tired of it and realized it was having the opposite social reactions from those I was seeking. Also, I don't know how it works when other people think, especially NTs, but it is like my thoughts are spoken in my head by my internal voice. This can make it very difficult to fall asleep when my mind races and I try to stop thinking. The result is that I think about the fact that I am not thinking, realize that, ponder that and continue to hurt my head with thoughts about my thoughts about my thoughts about this endless cycle that I can't stop. (Sorry, I really am working on not rambling.)

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2007, 9:36 pm

rathermousie wrote:
Also, I don't know how it works when other people think, especially NTs, but it is like my thoughts are spoken in my head by my internal voice.

I think that's how most people think. Less typical is when someone thinks entirely in pictures, and that is often associated with autism.

rathermousie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Sep 2007, 10:07 pm

LostInSpace wrote:
rathermousie wrote:
Also, I don't know how it works when other people think, especially NTs, but it is like my thoughts are spoken in my head by my internal voice.

I think that's how most people think. Less typical is when someone thinks entirely in pictures, and that is often associated with autism.

Hmm, I have a visual memory but my main thoughts are more like a constant stream. The stream includes bits where I have to try and scold myself into an action such as getting ready for work instead of spacing out in contemplation for 10-15 minutes at a time. (sometimes it works and sometimes I will promptly space out again)

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2007, 11:09 pm

rathermousie wrote:
LostInSpace wrote:
rathermousie wrote:

Hmm, I have a visual memory but my main thoughts are more like a constant stream. The stream includes bits where I have to try and scold myself into an action such as getting ready for work instead of spacing out in contemplation for 10-15 minutes at a time. (sometimes it works and sometimes I will promptly space out again)

I'm glad to hear this, as it is closer to the way I think. I kind of feel left out hearing that so many think of so many things in pictures. Although there is lots of evidence that I can think visually, it isn't like I am seeing it, but thinking in an audio fashion IS very close to actually hearing it. MAN, when I think about how I thought when I was a little kid, compared to now. I have to wonder WHY things ever changed.

When I was less than 10, my mind was like a busy street. It was like I almost liked hearing and seeing things, because my thoughts were just so busy otherwise. When I read, I just KNEW it. There was no internal voice that made it almost like it was audio. These days, it is almost like I have to sing or something to stop the self talk and, ironically, the reading speed just skyrockets.