Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2024, 11:12 am

On a scale of one through ten, (ten the highest) please rank your skills (mine in parentheses)

Driving (1)
Cooking (1)
Reading (5)
Writing (9)
Eating (5)

Communication (2)
Lifting heavy merchandise (1)
Emotional (2)
Social (1)
Fixing appliances (1)

Sleeping (3)
Math (9)

BillyTree
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 May 2024, 2:08 pm

Driving (6)
Cooking (3)
Reading (8)
Writing (9)
Eating (4)

Communication (4)
Lifting heavy merchandise (8)
Emotional (6)
Social (4)
Fixing appliances (1)

Sleeping (5)
Math (9)

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2024, 2:13 pm

Driving (9)
Cooking (3)
Reading (8)
Writing (10)
Eating (2)

Communication (2)
Lifting heavy merchandise (1) -- depends how heavy?
Emotional (3)
Social (1)
Fixing appliances (1)

Sleeping (2)
Math (8)

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2024, 2:24 pm

Driving (0)
Never tried, never taught, never tested. My household never owned a car. So no score.
I'd give myself a 6-7 if it's a two-wheeled vehicle instead; not a 8-10 because I'm reckless.

Cooking (3);
Just super simple meals. If there's a recipe, I might able to follow.

Reading (5)
I can do my best, but I'm sure it's never 100%. Especially when inattentive, even I'd miss simple meanings from simple sentences.

Writing (4)
Even less confident than reading. I may write too many things, may forget some details and realize that I hadn't written stuff down too late.
... Notice that sometimes, when I post, my posts tend to change or has few editing times.

Eating (3+1)
Not as healthy but getting there. Still with limited diet.

Communication (4+1)
Like anything to do with words and wording... My language processing sucks.

Lifting heavy merchandise (4)
Or at least better than someone my own size and age.

Emotional (4+2)
My emotional range was cut down by at least half with previous experience as a crutch; yet my emotional regulation also doubled.

Social (5+1)
Not all aspects of socialization is verbal, which is where I tend to excel. And I'm somewhat abit more communicative...

Fixing appliances (1)
Didn't end up a tinkerer. Wish I am; or maybe I might be.

Sleeping (3+2)
... From impossible n24 with pre-bedtime disruptions and hating sleep altogether, to somehow stable 6-9 hr more restful and way less to get up from sleep.

Math (4)
How I wish I'm a mathlete. Basic arithmetic is fine, maybe high school subjects and can make do with programming. But I'm not sure how well I'd fare in, say, accounting.

The pluses are just recent changes in the last 2 months... Not yet assured if these are temporary or permanent changes.

Also I hadn't able to sleep tonight. Can't think of more words. Also a major part of my automatic thought pattern changed all the sudden; I'm still adjusting.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Last edited by Edna3362 on 08 May 2024, 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2024, 2:37 pm

Can't answer meaningfully without explanatory notes about nuances, so I've added those.

Driving:
Last time I looked, I was able to successfully reverse a tractor and trailer round a corner. It's a knack. I can drive a suitable vehicle (car or small tractor) quite well in the absence of other road users, but haven't done much driving for many years, and many roads have become more congested, so I wouldn't feel very safe without a good refresher course. As my homes are surrounded by busy roads, I have to weight the social, "other road users" problem quite high, so I award myself only 4.

Cooking:
I'm sure I'd fail the Great British Bake-Off because I have little experience with conventional recipes. But I'm free to confine my cooking to my own homespun recipes, and I'd be the hands-down winner in the Great ToughDiamond Cooking Contest. So it depends on whether or not I'm in my own world or the mainstream world. As I'm nearly always in my own world, I give myself eleven out of ten.

Reading:
Depends greatly on the subject matter and other parameters. But I only read suitable material, and I'm good at that. 9 out of 10.

Writing:
Lousy handwriting unless it's block letters, and I can do those very well if I've got access to a good desk. If it's typing on a computer, I've done a lot of that, and I think my output is pretty clear, good English, good spelling without the need of a spell-checker. So 9 out of 10.

Eating:
I don't over-eat or under-eat, and my diet is probably healthier than the average American's. I'm an efficient eater who makes very little mess, largely because I only eat foods that are easy to do that with. Put me in a restaurant with a load of rice and only a pair of chopsticks, or expect me to dine with royalty, with all the expected airs and graces, and I'd be an embarrassment. But I don't see those situations as important, and I haven't recently embarrassed my friends when I've eaten with them. So 8 out of 10.

Communication:
By spoken word in a rushed, competitive environment, probably not great. By written word, good. Around 7 out of 10.

Lifting heavy merchandise:
I think beyond certain limits, it's dangerous for anybody. I'm quite good at doing it safely, bending at the knees first and all that, but as I'm wary of doing myself a mischief, I tend to avoid heavy lifting where possible. But when it's had to be done, I've achieved it without having accidents or knocking much plaster off the walls. Around 5 out of 10, but it depends on whether or not my score is adjusted for my age.

Emotional:
Not sure. I pick up on a lot of human emotions, but not so much with the ones that others disguise well. I don't look at faces much, so that's one supposed source of emotion-reading I'd probably score low on. Around 6 out of 10.

Social:
I'm fairly genial and house-trained, but can't command enough attention from most groups to make it worth my while mixing with them. Quite good at one-on-one. About 7 out of 10.

Fixing appliances:
Quite good. A lot of modern appliances are designed to be very hard to fix, and getting spare parts isn't always easy, but I suppose most people suffer from those matters as much as I do. 8 out of 10.

Sleeping:
Mostly I sleep quite well, even though I have somewhat noisy neighbours a lot of the time. I use pink noise and rain & thunder effects to drown the bastards out. Snoring, fidgety bedmate is an unsolved problem. Sometimes my brain doesn't want to sleep. 7 out of 10.

Mathematics:
Pretty good at the basics, some skill at advanced, though above a certain level I'd flounder terribly. But compared with the average person who I guess is lousy at anything beyond simple algebra, I'd say 7 out of 10.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2024, 3:28 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
On a scale of one through ten, (ten the highest) please rank your skills (mine in parentheses)

Driving (1)
Cooking (1)
Reading (5)
Writing (9)
Eating (5)

Communication (2)
Emotional (2)
Social (1)
Fixing appliances (1)

Sleeping (3)
Math (9)

Driving 10
Cooking 6
Reading 7
Writing 10
Eating 4

Communication 5
Lifting heavy merchandise 6
Emotional I can't really rate that. I don't know how to rate it
Social 4
Fixing appliances 1
Sleeping 2
Math 1

Wreck It Ralph

utterly absurd
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 May 2024, 3:33 pm

I also feel the need to add explanatory notes, but I will try to keep them concise.

Driving (6--at least I think I'm a fairly good driver. I've never been pulled over or been in an accident (although I've only had my license about a year). But if the question was being comfortable driving, that's a 2--I'm usually nervous and very careful. And driving with more than one other person in the car is a 0.)
Cooking (7.5 for simple recipes, 2 for more complicated meals. But I'm working on getting better.)
Reading (9 if it interests me. 3 if it doesn't.)
Writing (7? I'd have to ask someone else's opinion on this. I tend to think my own writing is good until I come back a year later and realize it's the most boring story in the world. I did once win a writing contest but most of what I put out is crap. I'd put it at 5 + or - 4.)
Eating (10. One of my favorite things to do.)

Communication (A very broad category. Verbal communication about professional-type things--7. Verbal conversation--8 if I know the person well, 1.5 if I don't. Written communication is easier in some ways and harder in others, but overall I'd give myself a 5.)
Lifting heavy merchandise (1. I'm like a tall thin twig--put one heavy thing on me and my spine snaps in half.)
Emotional (I'm not totally sure what you mean by this. In terms of managing my own emotions, that can range from a 1 to a 7.5 depending on my mental state and how much else I have to manage. As for reading other people's emotions, if it's someone I know I'd say 6 with a lot more false positives than false negatives; with someone I don't know it could range from 1 to 5.)
Social (One-on-one with someone I know well--8. One-on-one with someone I don't know--I often feel like I do well but the person never talks to me again, but someone else would have a more accurate answer to that. If I had to guess I'd put myself between 3 and 6. In groups of four or more, 1 unless it's my family, in which case 5.5.)
Fixing appliances (0)

Sleeping (9 during the day, 3 at night. Exactly the opposite of how it needs to be.)
Math (10, although the classes keep getting harder. It may not be long before I reconsider this.)

Conciseness (-100. This is so much longer than I intended.)

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2024, 4:58 pm

utterly absurd wrote:
Conciseness (-100. This is so much longer than I intended.)

Better verbose than misleadingly simplistic, IMO. Good to see I'm not alone.

Conciseness:
Depends how much time I have. I was quite pleased with the conciseness of my post, given the huge range of matters the questions were looking into and the short time it took me to explain myself. I think I struck a good balance. Only 5 out of 10 though, because if it had been unrehearsed spoken word I'd still be woffling on now.

Harmonie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 May 2024, 5:42 pm

Driving (1)
Can't currently drive but am trying to get up the courage to learn after I learned that I'm not physically limited from doing so.

Cooking (1)
Um... so, very embarrassing, but yeah... That's about accurate. :oops: I guess it should be no surprise to anyone that someone with major sensory issues regarding food, that I really don't know how to cook, because there's so little I can eat to begin with, so I just prefer simpler things.

Reading (7)
My reading skills are fine, I think. However, I have a lot of trouble seeing the quality of a story or the development of characters within. So while I can read at a great level, story comprehension is poor.

Writing (9)
Academic writing I excel at. It's perhaps the one skill I can say I really have and I have no problem writing a quality paper as long as I have a good subject for me to work with. Creative writing? Oh, no! Don't ask me to do that. My answer in the last question should probably tell you why. I don't know how to write a good story because I don't even know how to tell what a good story is.

Eating (3)
I'm so bad. As I mentioned above, I have major sensory issues that prevent me from eating much of any food. My diet is extremely limited, inconsistent and poor for my health.

Communication (IDK)
I have no idea. Reading others I'm pretty bad at. However, I don't know how well I communicate myself. I know I'm longwinded and thus that can probably make me hard to understand, IDK.

My arms will snap. Don't ask me to do that. xD

Emotional (Depends)
As in emotional control? Not too great. Maybe a 3 or 4? Reading others emotions? Worse than that. Like maybe a 2.

Social (3)
I'm poor at socializing. I talk about myself too much and I can't read other people. I am either too clingy (and get called annoying :cry: ), or too distant to keep friends. I try to strike a balance, but it's too darn hard for me when I can't read people very well and spend so much time questioning if my amount of interaction is appropriate or not. The only reason I gave a 3 instead of lower is because I think I have, over a very long period of time, learned to read a little. I'm still very bad at it, though.

Fixing appliances (1)
I have no skill in this whatsoever.

Sleeping (4)
I typically get decent sleep of 7 or so hours. What makes this lower for me is the length of time it can take me to fall asleep tends to be long, some nights I lose a lot of sleep, and my body tends to wake up at a certain time that I can't control, preventing me from sleeping in when I went to bed too late.

Math (4)
Don't ask me to do math. I never did good at any math I ever took. I tried, thought I understood things, but there was always something I did wrong. Only giving myself a 4 as opposed to later because I did make it through College Algebra and didn't have to take any remedial courses before that.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2024, 12:09 am

Driving - 3: I have a driver's license but never drive
Cooking - 8: Ya I love my food
Reading - 5 for fiction and 9 for non-fiction
Writing - 9
Eating - 9: I suppose this correspond to pickiness? I would eat anything (except junk food, I guess I should take a point off.) :D

Communication - 10: I'm extroverted and love talking to people.
Lifting heavy merchandise - 1: shouldn't due to broken back
Emotional - 8: Very stable except around periods
Social - 5 or 6: I can do well but it's exhausting
Fixing appliances - 9: I'm good at fixing most things

Sleeping - 5
Math - 8: I never liked it but I'm pretty good at it.

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2024, 12:53 am

Driving 4
I can do it, but I don't enjoy it. I'm glad I now live in a city where it's not necessary.
Cooking 7
Better than most, when I have the energy.
Reading 10
I'm completely literate and enjoy it.
Writing 9
It's one of my jobs. But there's always room for improvement.
Eating 6
I eat reasonably healthy food, but not always.

Communication 8
Communicate very clearly, but others don't always listen or read with understanding.
Lifting heavy merchandise 6
Better than most, I think.
Emotional 4
I'm told I'm either "too sensitive" or "robotic."
Social 2
l don't have enough energy for most people.
Fixing appliances 2
I got frustrated and impatient.
Sleeping 4
I have trouble keeping to a regular sleep schedule.
Math 6
I have skill, but little inclination or patience.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2024, 12:56 am

Oh, emotional control? About 9 out of 10. I hardly ever jump about in joy, burst into tears in sorrow or frustration, freeze in terror, or whatever. I feel those things strongly enough but it's hard to tell from the outside. Not surprising. I'm British.