Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Reed
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 May 2024, 2:39 am

A doctor prescribed/directed me to frequent the YouTube channel Charisma On Command.

I believe he did so because he thought I might benefit from the information presented therein.

Frankly, though, I’m not getting anything out of it. It seems like it should be helping me with social skills but I find the videos to be focused on presenting “hacks” and “tricks” as if they are rooted in deceiving others.

…and I don’t want to be guilty of tricking/deceiving others -ever.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with something you were prescribed/directed to yet it was actually not helpful?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2024, 3:30 am

Never let a YouTube video do your thinking for you.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2024, 4:18 am

I think the perception of deceit or trickery happens when you have to actively learn social skills.

You're not learning anything different from a person who picked up the skills naturally from watching others and trial and error and never even noticed they were learning anything.

You're learning the same thing, just differently.

Youtube is a perfectly good learning resource, you just have to be selective, much as you would be about choosing a book to learn from.

Personally I've been advised to do Cognitive Behavioural Therapy several times by mental health doctors. It's never worked for me because when I need help with my mental health, I'm not in a space where I'm going to engage with it. Its like telling someone who is starving to go out and chase down a deer. I don't have the energy because I haven't eaten anything for a week.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2024, 5:01 am

Fnord wrote:

Utube is just a platform- the folks who use it come in all quality levels. So its like saying "never never let a library book do your thinking for you."

The doc is suggesting he watch something on it. Not to let it "do his thinking for him".

Last edited by Cornflake on 09 May 2024, 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.: Removed some personal attacks

JamesW
Raven
Raven

09 May 2024, 5:42 am

One of the first videos Charisma On Command offers me is called 'STOP LOOKING AWKWARD.'

The channel is not appropriate for me as an autistic person.

There is a God.

__Elijahahahaho
Raven
Raven

09 May 2024, 5:56 am

Most of these guys are hacks, selling the idea that you need to "appeal to everyone"
to "get a lot of chicks".

This is a terrible life philosophy and a terrible attitude for an autistic, due to the highly monotropic (one topic)
way we think. We should only learn to manage for those around us, not catering to everyone.
He might have a few decent tricks to be aware of - I think the reframing video was useful for me,
I used it to get a security guard to stop bothering me in the library.

Remember that people are exceptionally diverse, even NTs stuff up, and many NTs actually appreciate the way we are because they learn to see through BS tricks like those of these asshats, if you "learn" these social skills you will be different, and less likeable because you will come across as a poorly practiced pick-up artist, instead of an authentic, different person.

You just need to learn to filter for toxic attitudes well and find a small group that accept you and are kind, for whom you need to do
the least amount of masking possible, then use them for what advice you need in your local social environment.
Persistence helps. After a certain point people just accept you.
Google the "wizard of new zealand". This guy was a total nutter and yet he was eventually
appointed by the government as an official wizard and defended (but also attacked) by the local population.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2024, 6:22 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Utube is just a platform- the folks who use it come in all quality levels. So its like saying "never never let a library book do your thinking for you."

The doc is suggesting he watch something on it. Not to let it "do his thinking for him".
Mine is a warning to not fall into what I call "YouTube Psychosis" (not an official term).  This occurs when a person becomes obsessed with certain YouTube channels, topics, or personalities, and comes to believe every claim made on that channel, on that topic, or by that personality.

In other words, they stop thinking for themselves and start letting YouTube do their thinking for them.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.