Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Nov 2023, 12:11 pm

or is it a stereotype

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2023, 12:14 pm

It is not a stereotype. It is a common symptom of autistic spectrum disorder.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2023, 12:28 pm

I'm not picky, I'm a discerning connoisseur surrounded by human dustbins. Just kidding of course, though there may be a grain of truth in it.

Sillylilgoober
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Nov 2023, 12:56 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:

oooooooh

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2023, 1:23 pm

Sillylilgoober wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:

oooooooh

"Eating problems are common in autistic people.

Issues such as only eating very few foods, not being able to eat at school, going long periods of time without eating and pica (eating non-foods) can feel difficult to understand and manage. "

https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/topics/behaviour/eating

https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/topics/behaviour/eating/all-audiences

Patrick22348
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Nov 2023, 1:30 pm

Of all the foods I've eaten, Chinese/Shanghai and Singaporean/Malaysian food were the only ones that I felt was garbage.

Patrick22348
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Nov 2023, 1:31 pm

Patrick22348 wrote:
Of all the foods I've eaten, Chinese/Shanghai and Singaporean/Malaysian food were the only ones that I felt was garbage.

And I can't stand seeing people eating it as if it is good, it makes me want to smack them in the face.

Suicidal_Vampire
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Nov 2023, 1:36 pm

Does separating food count as picky? I happen to be a "picky" eater, but I wondered if this in particular counts, since people always consider this a strange food habit and can even be bothered by it.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2023, 1:51 pm

I'm not really that picky. Although I' have never developed a fondness for mashed potatoes, turnips, or anything fish or fish-related.

And as a kid I mad my mom and brother would growl at me whenever we ate chicken because I'd only eat the skin and some of the meat. I was really turned off by the bones and gristle and stuff. But I eat all the meat off the bones now.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2023, 1:58 pm

Patrick22348 wrote:
Patrick22348 wrote:

And I can't stand seeing people eating it as if it is good, it makes me want to smack them in the face.

I can relate to that. :twisted:

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2023, 1:59 pm

If you've met one Autistic then you've met one Autistic.

So it probably varies.

Personally, I'm not too adventurous on food. If I've found something I like then I'll probably stick to it. My order at familiar restaurants is rather predictable...I was amused when I went into one counter-service establishment and the cashier had rung up my order before I got to the counter! (And she got it right!)

I agree that I'm not too crazy with different types of food on the plate getting too familiar with each other. I like them separate. And I tend to be methodical when eating...first choice is to eat the different things on the plate one after another...though if that is not practical then methodical working from one side of it to the other.

DirkGently69
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2023, 2:01 pm

Suicidal_Vampire wrote:
Does separating food count as picky? I happen to be a "picky" eater, but I wondered if this in particular counts, since people always consider this a strange food habit and can even be bothered by it.

That definitely counts. Separating your food is a common autistic trait. I myself a have more of a sensory issue with food. It’s generally not the taste, but the texture of food that restricts my diet somewhat.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2023, 2:46 pm

Double Retired wrote:
If you've met one Autistic then you've met one Autistic.

So it probably varies.

Personally, I'm not too adventurous on food. If I've found something I like then I'll probably stick to it. My order at familiar restaurants is rather predictable...I was amused when I went into one counter-service establishment and the cashier had rung up my order before I got to the counter! (And she got it right!)

I agree that I'm not too crazy with different types of food on the plate getting too familiar with each other. I like them separate. And I tend to be methodical when eating...first choice is to eat the different things on the plate one after another...though if that is not practical then methodical working from one side of it to the other.

I do a similar thing.

I separate food on the plate then eat each food according to its type, one after the another.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2023, 2:51 pm

It's a stereotype that's based in reality. Many autistic people are picky eaters.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2023, 3:01 pm

I can't speak for others but I consider my eating habits to be a good thing.

"If I've found something I like then I'll probably stick to it."
Why wouldn't I choose something I know I like? I'm not looking for a good adventure, I'm looking for a good meal.

"I agree that I'm not too crazy with different types of food on the plate getting too familiar with each other. I like them separate."
I'm not a cook. If some cook said they were different things then I'll trust the professional.

"And I tend to be methodical when eating...first choice is to eat the different things on the plate one after another...though if that is not practical then methodical working from one side of it to the other."
I think this is more efficient. I can hold the same utensil with the same grip and use the same motion until I've completed that item, then move onto the next item. I want to eat the food, not play with the utensils.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2023, 3:05 pm

Patrick22348 wrote:

Uncle Roger does not approve.