Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Summers_Over
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 May 2024, 9:28 pm

What would you say is your most specific or niche interest? Something that may seem odd to other people?

Also, does anyone feel embarrassed to share them with people you know irl? I've always struggled with sharing some of my interests with people irl because I'm afraid they will judge me and think I am really weird for them.

Harmonie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 May 2024, 9:38 pm

Early music (like medieval music, Renaissance music and even some earlier) and also historical/ancient woodwind instruments are both pretty niche. Even among classical music communities that's pretty niche. So niche that there's practically no pre-Classical (18th century) music scene in my current area. (That's changing when I move! :cheers: )

I could go off on these subjects for quite some time, especially the history of woodwind instruments! Alas... Pretty niche subject that not even many classical musicians care to hear about. lol

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2024, 9:50 pm

Most of my interests are more general: classical music - all time periods, art history, French and Spanish, and literature. I go through spurts where I’m obsessed with a Zelda game, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, or WrongPlanet.

I don’t talk about my interests with people offline that often on account of being very shy. I tended to talk more about them when I was younger. Now I prefer keeping things to myself.

Summers_Over
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 May 2024, 9:55 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
Most of my interests are more general: classical music - all time periods, art history, French and Spanish, and literature. I go through spurts where I’m obsessed with a Zelda game, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, or WrongPlanet.

I don’t talk about my interests with people offline that often on account of being very shy. I tended to talk more about them when I was younger. Now I prefer keeping things to myself.

Same. I'd rather not deal with the judgement from other people these days haha.

The Legend of Zelda series is my favorite video game series of all time. I know a lot about the lore and even used to do a podcast about it once for a Zelda forum. I also love Lord of the Rings, but this has been a newer interest that I haven't explored as much as I'd like to.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2024, 10:24 pm

Boxes. :lol:

I never had to think about what everyone else think when I have zero intentions of sharing my interests... Nor actually care if I say it out loud.

But then, I don't have the same urge to verbally infodump about my interests.
My special interests just doesn't come out in a form of hoarding wall of texts of info and data of a particular topic.

I don't express my special interests by talking about it at all. I just never talk about it.
So far, my special interests only manifests as an activity or practice that I can choose when or when not to do in public.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Elgee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 May 2024, 9:02 pm

Interesting thread. One of my niche interests is spellings of female first names.

Clarice, Clarise, Claryse, Clarrice, Clarriece, Clareece, Clairise, Clearese, Clearreece, Klaryce, Klarryce, Klairese, Klairrese, Klairrece, Klearise, Klerise, Klerrise, Klereese, Klearryce

And then big fat ponytails. This is a hybrid special interest and stim: I call it a Spim.

LittleBeach
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 May 2024, 11:16 am

I like looking at bits of rubbish at the side of the road/footpath (crisp packets and drink cans etc). I look but don’t touch and I don’t tell anyone I find this interesting!

Elgee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 May 2024, 11:55 am

LittleBeach wrote:
I like looking at bits of rubbish at the side of the road/footpath (crisp packets and drink cans etc). I look but don’t touch and I don’t tell anyone I find this interesting!

This sounds similar to when I was in grade school (I don't know how long this lasted), but I had somewhat of an intrigue with shoe heels if they were worn down. I'd always check out someone's shoes (men, women, kids, whatever, as ALL non-sneaker shoes have some degree of heel that's worn down unless the shoe is brand new). I got a kick how worn down heels looked, especially if they were really worn down. Weird, I know.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2024, 12:01 pm

I am a confirmed and self confessed geek. I have a huge interest in the geology of the area where I live and collect rocks and fossils, study rock formations and spend a lot of time learning about the ones I find in this area. I am particularly interested in skeletal sponge forms from the Devonian age, stromatoporoids. ( when I am not studying about autism and learning as much as I can about that!) I can't possibly "pass" as "normal" (whatever that is)
;) no shame!! !

Do what you love and don't apologize! <3

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

ElmersTrueLove
Toucan
Toucan

06 May 2024, 11:24 am

Looney Tunes because it's immature

Elmer's wife since 2022

.。*゚+.*.。 ゚+..。*゚+

Suicidal_Vampire
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 May 2024, 12:30 pm

Lamps.

Elgee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 May 2024, 2:15 pm

ElmersTrueLove wrote:
Looney Tunes because it's immature

I've now seen several posts like this in different threads, with the self-consciousness that enjoying Looney Tunes is childish or kids' stuff.

However, one or two times at my large college dormitory, during dinnertime in the cafeteria, the management set up a huge movie screen on an end wall and showed Looney Tunes. This had MANY of the students (whose age range was 17 to 22 for the most part) in stitches during their meal, some continuing to watch after they were done eating.

What many may not realize is that Looney Tunes, though primarily directed towards children, periodically insert jokes or scenes that only an adult would get. For example, the one I remember is a scene suggesting Quasimodo, from the classic novel "The Hunchback of Notre Dame." No young kid would have caught this. I've caught others but don't recall at this moment.

Go watch your Looney Tunes. It beats by far today's junk like "Sister Wives."

angelsonthemoon
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 May 2024, 2:56 pm

It's difficult for me to speak in person so I mostly stick to things the other person knows about. That way they can do most of the talking. So in that regard, I seem atypical for an autistic person, as I don't really info dump. Not in real life anyways.

It also limits my interests in many ways. I like to learn about other cultures. If I could talk effortlessly, I'd like to go to mosques, Hindu temples, etc. Since talking is difficult for me, I don't, because they'd be asking, "What made you want to check this out? Are you a convert? Did you meet someone of the religion?" Etc. I avoid basically as many RL social situations as possible.

Tim the Enchanter
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 May 2024, 4:19 pm

My interests HAVE gotten me in trouble
I like mud, I love the way it feels. I was swimming in the river, and I found a saturated clay deposit. Guess what the dermatologist ordered. The red necks caught me having a mud bath and they heckled me. They said N(word) in the water, there were dozens of them on the shore. I went under, cleaned myself,.waited half an hour, and walked back to my car. I lost my phone to the water, but I escaped the mob. Anyway, people don't accept people who do strange things.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2024, 8:05 pm

Arts & crafts and pea-like characters such as Om Nom.