Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

FrostBender
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 May 2024, 3:31 pm

Does anyone else obsess over money? I do. Because I feel like having more money makes me happy and distracts me from my occasional self-loathing towards my autism.

I’m trying to find a higher-paying job. But it’s hard because autists aren’t wanted by almost all employers. I don’t care if the job is physically demanding. I’d rather break my body and retire with tons of money.

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2024, 3:56 pm

Why don't you try applying for a job and not telling them you are autistic?

mgurak
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 May 2024, 5:11 pm

I agree. Unless your autism somehow hinders you from doing the job, it's none of their business. The last year I worked I knew I had bipolar disorder. It didn't stop me from being able to do the job I wanted so I didn't announce it. Since I was capable of doing the job, if they had fired me simply because I'm bipolar they would have had a lawsuit on their hands. Don't give potential employers a reason to put you in the "nope" pile.

Just curious: what is it about having money that makes you happy? Is it the knowledge that you can provide for yourself in the future? Being able to say you have X amount of money?

FrostBender
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 May 2024, 5:23 pm

mgurak wrote:
Just curious: what is it about having money that makes you happy? Is it the knowledge that you can provide for yourself in the future? Being able to say you have X amount of money?

It makes me feel normal.

Even if I don’t tell the employer about autism, they’ll still find out. My form of autism is not a gift. I cannot easily get a job in the sciences or tech fields because I don’t have enough intelligence for those jobs. I also don’t have the NT ability to socialize my way into a job.

My only hope is to apply for the hot and smelly jobs that no one wants and then move up in the future.

FrostBender
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 May 2024, 5:26 pm

This also is why I wish I could be NT. They don’t struggle to get jobs

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2024, 5:44 pm

No I don't obsess over money. I never was particularly ambitious about getting more than I did get. There was always enough to pay the bills and have a bit over for a few treats, and any attempt to get more would have involved an awful lot of bother and might well have failed.

I guess I can see the attraction of being loaded though. Imagine being able to buy your way out of any situation that was causing you trouble. Release the hounds, Smithers. Still, it would be hard to know who were your true friends and who were toadies.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2024, 7:33 pm

I don't obsess about money.

That's the last thing I'd ever do due to my upbringing and how all the worries, let alone obsession around money affects relationships.

Depends where you came from and your lifestyle.

Did you came from an economy where one can just get away with earning part time and still livable where getting your own car and house at 18 is the norm?
Or did you came from where having two full time professional workers in a single household, on double income, yet is still in poverty despite no dependents and living on bare minimum?

Do you have a lifestyle that's thrift with occasional self indulgence or something like careless and hedonistic show off because peer pressure?

Do you have certain necessities that are practically non-negotiable?
Related to maintenances in health like medication or having to be at a particular areas, diet restrictions, or even, say, having dependents?

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.