Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

MomofTom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2007, 2:30 pm

I received notice that I'm in the jury pool for September and October. Considering my former career as a paralegal, I don't know if that will negatively sway the attorneys during voir dire. Sure, it's a hassle with juggling the kids' daycare and school, but I've always wanted to round out my legal experience with being in the courtroom.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2007, 3:11 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
Aspie1 wrote:
I got summoned for jury duty a few years ago. I didn't get selected, so it was a very boring experience. I sat in a big waiting room all day, where I read the books I brought with me, ate non-stop from the vending machines, and made a little bit of small talk (yes, you read that correctly) with the people sitting near me. In the end, they gave me a check, which reimbursed the food and transportation that day, and let me go.

WHOA, they paid you THAT much!?!?!?

In california, I think the pay is $5/day. $5 a ******DAY*******!

Yeah that's what I thought too! I got $3 for my 3 hrs going through jury selection. A friend got paid $6 for a full day. I heard grand jury will pay $12 a day. Yeah quite an insult isn't it! It costs more to eat out than they pay you back. And they were even going to make some people drive 2 hours from the reservation each day when I was called up. I felt so sorry for those people paying so much in gas and wear and tear on car and they only give 30 cents per mile if you live over 50 miles away.

Last edited by Ticker on 25 Aug 2007, 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

25 Aug 2007, 3:22 pm

ive never been summond to jury duty, i think if your not a registerd voter they dont know who you are, so no summoning will happen

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2007, 3:31 pm

richardbenson wrote:
ive never been summond to jury duty, i think if your not a registerd voter they dont know who you are, so no summoning will happen

I was summoned in another state and I had never registered to vote. Just don't register in AZ because you get pushed to the front of the line. I got summoned 2 months after I registered! Then they summoned me like 3-4 times in that one year.

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2007, 4:00 pm

Since registering to vote in 2001, I've been summoned three times. The first time I was pregnant and had a condition called Hyperemesis, so they let me out of it. The second time I was pregnant again. and said I didn't care to risk my unborn baby's life driving on the highway in the winter all the way to our "local" courthouse. They let me out of it again. Then once again I got a notice this year, and I'm just like leave me the f*** alone already! I wrote that I don't believe in our justice system and thus I don't feel I could ever possibly be an appropriate candidate for jury duty. Out again.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2007, 4:41 pm

I was thinking having Aspergers may not be a good enough excuse to get dismissed from jury duty. One of my old neighbors told me she tried to use ADHD as an excuse when she lived in Calif and was called for one of the OJ Simpson trials. They wouldn't let her off for that. She ended up sequestered for several months.

Course I don't know about the rest of you, but when I get bored or nervous I will rock back and forth or shake my leg so that would probably make the other jurors nervous and they would kick me off.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

25 Aug 2007, 8:14 pm

Ticker wrote:
richardbenson wrote:

I was summoned in another state and I had never registered to vote. Just don't register in AZ because you get pushed to the front of the line. I got summoned 2 months after I registered! Then they summoned me like 3-4 times in that one year.
dude do they pay you for that? how can they just expect you to drop everything and be juge and jurry? seems pretty messed up to me

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2007, 10:41 pm

richardbenson wrote:
dude do they pay you for that? how can they just expect you to drop everything and be juge and jurry? seems pretty messed up to me

Well the system really is messed up. I got paid $3 for 3 hours of being questioned for the jury. If you stay the whole day you get paid $6 for the whole day if it's city court. They don't give a sh*t if you have a job or college classes you need to be at. Most large businesses will pay you your regular day's pay for each day you are on the jury as long as your bring in your court parking pass to prove you were there and you endorse your $6 check from the court over to your employer. BUT my employer will only pay you for court for up to 10 days and after that you must use your vacation time!! !! !

If you ever get summoned and have a legitimate excuse up front...like severe physical illness, college classes, a vacation you have already bought airline tickets for or children at home you must care for it is suggested you write a short note to the judge ASAP and send by registered letter and see if he will dismiss you even before the jury questioning date takes place. That's how I got out when I live in another state. I wrote the judge it was only me and one other person working at the store. I got a letter back in less than a week saying I was excused.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

25 Aug 2007, 10:50 pm

wtf? $6 dollars to stay the whole day? well i know i'd be doing my best job in the jury getting payed that handome reward :wink:

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2007, 11:05 pm

Oh yeah the whole things a bunch of BS. They tell you is one's moral, civic duty to serve on the jury. Then they pay you for a WHOLE day less than what the average worker makes in one hour.

Richard, a lady I know that lives in Flag got called to serve on the Grand Jury, which is held in Prescott. You're going to love this. They paid her $12 a day which supposedly would cover all her costs. She was stuck on that jury for 3 months which is a lot of wear and tear on a car to drive that far each day.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2007, 11:11 pm

Yeah, it is crazy. There are double standards ALL OVER the place.

Take the idea of waiter/waitress. TIPS are supposed to be SPECIAL payment paid according to the CUSTOMERS will for GOOD SERVICE as a REWARD! Yet some idiot felt that was unfair, so they lowered the wages BELOW minimum wage. When they found that customers didn't go for it, they basically decided to STEAL the "tip" from the customer by charging it as a tax. In my book, that is:

1. false advertising.
2. price fixing.
3. etc...

I like it better as it was. The OWNER took the risk for THEIR choice, and the good servers got paid more. THAT is as it should be. It was that way for HUNDREDS of years!

Do you guys know what the OFFICIAL US price for gold is? As I recall, it is still $35/ounce!! !! !! YEP, you read right! About 1/19th the exchange price. If the US confiscates gold, as they did once before, THAT is the amount you will likely get.

I don't even want to tell you about the place where I am working now. The US government DEMANDS they give service to illegal indigents and even LEGAL citizens aren't covered. That means OTHERS have to pay a lot more.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2007, 11:32 pm

Oh don't get me started on TIPS. I often will order take out or just go to fast food such as Wendy's to get a baked potato instead of having to give an addit' $2-3 for tips in a sit-down restuarant. BTW- for those that hate tipping IHOP, Chili's and Applebee's now have carry out menus so you can avoid tips and eat your meal at home in peace.

What I really loathe is this new trend in some restaurants where they automatically figure out a 20% tip and put it on the bill requiring you to pay it. Oh and that tax the freakin tip! Brandi's does that here in town. I might tip 20% if the service is good, but last time I went there the service was so bad I was thirsty the whole time because she wouldn't come around to refill the drinks. And I was forced to pay 20% tip for lousy service.

The restaurants pay waitresses $2.50 a hour and expect customers to foot the rest of their wages. I say pay them a fare wage. A person should have to pay extra to get waited on because that's what a waitress is suppose to do anyway. Otherwise just make all restaurants caferteria style where you are dispensed food from the counter and you take your glass up to the fountain yourself and refill it. I'd much rather have that anyway and do away with having to come up with small talk chit chat conversation to pacify the waitress.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

25 Aug 2007, 11:38 pm

Ticker wrote:
Richard, a lady I know that lives in Flag got called to serve on the Grand Jury, which is held in Prescott. You're going to love this. They paid her $12 a day which supposedly would cover all her costs. She was stuck on that jury for 3 months which is a lot of wear and tear on a car to drive that far each day.
that is terrible. i hope i never get into a situation like that, totally shocking i would have went crazy and probably killed the judge and then they would be picking my jury. Lol :)

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

25 Aug 2007, 11:42 pm

Ticker wrote:
Oh don't get me started on TIPS. I often will order take out or just go to fast food such as Wendy's to get a baked potato instead of having to give an addit' $2-3 for tips in a sit-down restuarant. BTW- for those that hate tipping IHOP, Chili's and Applebee's now have carry out menus so you can avoid tips and eat your meal at home in peace.
yeah the mountainaire taverns cheeseburgers are $7.50 and it doesnt even include a drink. the drink is a $1.23 or something, can you believe that? what a ripoff thats good to know about those other resturants though. chillies rules

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2007, 12:04 am

I didn't know about the Tavern. Better be darn good burgers for that price!

IHOP just started the carry out menu. I wonder if they give you a container of syrup or how they do that if you order pancakes to go? I hate the way everyone stares at you in IHOP and in winter its so cold because they don't have insulation on the outside wall and you freeze your butt off sitting in the booths. So carry out is the way to go now!

I wish we had Steak-Out here! They had that when I lived in Knoxville. They sell a salad, steak, baked potato, roll and drink for like $8.95 delivered right to your door! Not that was nice!!

SusyQ
Raven
Raven

26 Aug 2007, 1:09 pm

Oh, I'd love to get called for jury duty! I always thought it would be so neat to see firsthand a trial from beginning to end. If it was a high profile trial, it would be even better.
I don't see what the fuss is about serving on a jury. It's our civic duty, and fair trials are what make this country what it is. I know the judicial system has flaws, but it's much better than many places, such as China.