Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2007, 9:13 am

Has anyone been on Dexedrine (Dextroamphetamine) either from prescription or illicitly? What effect did it have on you?

I've tried so far Concerta XL but even up to 3 (18mg) tablets a day still no great improvement.

I appreciate this is probably a long shot because I've not met anyone this type of cognitive problem yet.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

27 Aug 2007, 9:30 am

Concerta is a reuptake inhibitor of dopamine and noradrenaline.
Amphetamines have that action plus they stimulant the release
of dopamine and noradrenaline.

Some evidence suggest some people with ADD/ADHD need the release of dopamine and noradrenaline.

http://www.medscape.com/infosite/shire-adhd/article-stimulants

Quote:
"Some individuals with ADHD may have difficulties with release of the neurotransmitters, and in those cases, amphetamines would be particularly helpful. There is a gene implicated with ADHD called the SNAP gene—a protein that is key in releasing neurotransmitters. It guides the vesicle that holds the neurotransmitter to the cell wall and facilitates exocytotic release of neurotransmitters. We suspect that individuals with a fault in that gene may have a much higher likelihood of having ADHD. If you have a fault in the SNAP gene, you are going to be releasing too little neurotransmitter. If you're releasing too little neurotransmitter, blocking the uptake will not be as effective as directly releasing neurotransmitter. Perhaps in the future we will be able to do a genetic test on an individual and detect SNAP gene abnormalities to indicate if amphetamines may be more appropriate for them."

http://scienceblog.com/community/older/ ... 23611.html
(on the snap gene)

I remember one user mentioned he thought he had ADD and he illicitly tried dexedrine but did not find it helpful. He no longer posts on WP either.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2007, 10:24 am

Well I got a prescript for Dexedrine pick it up on on Tuesday..

santabarbarian
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Aug 2007, 4:12 pm

A good friend of mine had a dexy prescription while he was trying to earn his PHD, he was brilliant and had ADHD dx and AS not dx, he was over prescribed and would often give me some dexy's. It sure did change my ability to concentrate. I could study for hours straight and retain so much information. If I normally functioned that way I would be a doctor by now myself. I would never take more than 2x5mg per day, he was rx'd 5x5 per day, and you get really tired and edgy when you come off of them.
I was far more social on them, but I would talk talk talk, and who wants to hear more about an aspies fixations and intersest?

So overall good for school, brought me out of my shell. But definitely had some downsides too.
Oh yeah they really made me notice the opposite sex, I felt like a raging bull ready to run down the hill and...... well maybe you've heard that joke.

I am kinda interested in trying these again on a regular basis to see if it gives me a positive outcome. Please post back here and let us know what your results are, both good and bad.

psych
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2007, 4:37 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
I appreciate this is probably a long shot because I've not met anyone this type of cognitive problem yet.

What type of cognitive effects are you hoping to address specifically?

Ive dabbled in coke but never speed, always been a bit wary of it.

earthdweller
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Aug 2007, 4:58 pm

What a crippling and disturbing illness - this ADHD. There should be a cure for it.

These folks who have this condition - they think that they are brilliant and then they take some kind of amphetamine to cover up the lies(the lie that they are normal).

I thought that intelligence had to do with being concious of things rather than an overly active thought process and overly active creativity output.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2007, 5:06 pm

santabarbarian wrote:
A good friend of mine had a dexy prescription while he was trying to earn his PHD, he was brilliant and had ADHD dx and AS not dx, he was over prescribed and would often give me some dexy's. It sure did change my ability to concentrate. I could study for hours straight and retain so much information. If I normally functioned that way I would be a doctor by now myself. I would never take more than 2x5mg per day, he was rx'd 5x5 per day, and you get really tired and edgy when you come off of them.
I was far more social on them, but I would talk talk talk, and who wants to hear more about an aspies fixations and intersest?

So overall good for school, brought me out of my shell. But definitely had some downsides too.
Oh yeah they really made me notice the opposite sex, I felt like a raging bull ready to run down the hill and...... well maybe you've heard that joke.

I am kinda interested in trying these again on a regular basis to see if it gives me a positive outcome. Please post back here and let us know what your results are, both good and bad.

Yep but he was probably on 5x5 because 2 wouldn't have an effect on him. If you have an under-active brain it just makes you normal you don't get euphoric/social effect other people might have on that dose.

The fact that I didn't respond to Concerta, means I might not respond to this either or any other stimulants. What it does, probably due the effect of making you tired when you come off it, improve my sleep pattern. That is probably why coffee makes me drowsy. The problem with the one I’m prescribed is it not the slow release so I actually have to remember to take it every 3 hours, which isn’t going to happen. But is just a quick trial to see if it will work there is a slow release version I believe. If I don't they said they would put me on a SNRI. I can’t remember which one it was. Also I’m likely to be prescribed a drug called Aricept. Probably a long shot but has anyone been on that?

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2007, 5:08 pm

earthdweller wrote:
These folks who have this condition - they think that they are brilliant and then they take some kind of amphetamine to cover up the lies(the lie that they are normal).

Its really a matter of what level of productivity is acceptable to an
individual. Its often the difference between getting no work done and enough to pay the bills.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2007, 5:09 pm

earthdweller wrote:
What a crippling and disturbing illness - this ADHD. There should be a cure for it.

I thought that intelligence had to do with being concious of things rather than an overly active thought process and overly active creativity output.

This is the kind of ignorant s**t you learn to expect. Piss off and learn something for once, you don't know what you are talking about.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2007, 5:11 pm

It is not overly active it is actually the opposite that is a common mistake. ADHD is caused by under activity.

I realise some ADHD sufferers feel they have a choice to take meds. More power to them as far as I say.

Unfortunately have bad executive dysfunction which a grey area between ASD and ADHD on the higher end. If it were possible I'd be happy to switch places with you.

earthdweller
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Aug 2007, 6:28 pm

0_equals_true, the brain is a very complex master control organ - its your wetware microprocessor.

Using those psychoactive chemicals to control your mental agony seems to always be a mix of results if you ask me.

Its like alcohol and AS - you can get mixed reactions from it, toxicity such as hang-over depends on how much you take, and its effiency with the majority of the brains' other processing units is limited.

Other sedative agents differ very much in their selectivity and mechanisms. Some are even more likely to make one feel euphoric or hypo-manic - those without a mood-swing disorder.

So an amphetamine that affects dopamine or dopamine and noradrenaline is dealing with that aspect - the catacholamine system. But are most of the problems resolved dealing with this aspect in the brain and do the side-effects or withdrawl symptoms out-weigh the actual benefit?

So, ya, what I am saying is that the brain is a global system that relies on a great deal of other systems and receptors to help shape ones perceptions.

Personally, I look at the other angle that has to do with the brains' utilization of glucose, blood supply, and ATP utilization.

I also can relate to you if you think that life really sucks when you feel like you are lost.. because of some kind of syndrome or cognitive hinderance upon your values and desires: ones that are perhaps such as living more independantly etc..

An example is that these past few months, I sometimes felt disabled inside, probably because I became depressed and entered into a mental fog that seems to last forever. Up until this present moment, I feel stuck focusing only on my thinking - not school completion/GED or some other stuff but just my own thinking. But thats just how I function.

Last edited by earthdweller on 27 Aug 2007, 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2007, 6:33 pm

earthdweller wrote:
Personally, I look at the other angle that has to do with the brains' utilization of glucose, blood supply, and ATP utilization.

Whats your suggestions then?

earthdweller
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Aug 2007, 7:57 pm

TheMachine1, I didn't think that anyone was asking for alternatives so I was just giving my perspective.

I also had to re-word my other post with the edit button. I think that I was just kind mentioning that I like to put much more emphasis on keeping the brain physically healthy and look at things in terms how it functions best rather than those psychiatric medications because thats more like a trial and error thing. I wasn't trying to make choices for others.

This is what I like:

http://www.cbn.com/health/naturalhealth ... lness.aspx

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2007, 5:38 am

Hi earthdweller, the thing is you don't know about me you only know what is like for you. There is likely more weight behind adhd treatments than there is for depression treatments, but I wouldn’t ever deny someone the right to do that. Trust me I’m on supplements now such as Phosphotidyl Serine. I know full well that no amount of supplement is going to cure me, I’m going to need to take meds probably all my life.

The interesting thing is that you are depressed, and I've never had clinical depression only the occasional situational depression. Depression can often mimic adhd symptoms superficially. I have anxiety, emotional blunting, and bad cognitive dysfunction with almost zero working memory. Emotional blunting is part of the executive dysfunction and it why I'm finding it near on impossible to stick with being sad and 'spiral', which is something I want. Having said that it doesn't make it any less frustrating. I don't just have executive dysfunction my cognitive problems extend further than the frontal lobe. I can not visualise or see images in my head at all and I have long term memory problems.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2007, 7:27 am

earthdweller wrote:

Its about fish oil. I've been taking 6 grams daily for about 14 months. It might have limited efficacy for hyperactivity but it has far less for inattention.

0_equals_true wrote:
I have long term memory problems.

That reminds me when are you paying the $10,000 you barrowed from me so that bookie would not break your legs? :lol:

psych
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2007, 9:27 am

earthdweller wrote:

Do you think supplementation with creatine might be useful? As its supposed to have mild cognitive effects and has something to do with ATP (IIRC)