Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2007, 11:29 am

TheMachine1 wrote:
earthdweller wrote:

Its about fish oil. I've been taking 6 grams daily for about 14 months. It might have limited efficacy for hyperactivity but it has far less for inattention.

0_equals_true wrote:
I have long term memory problems.

That reminds me when are you paying the $10,000 you barrowed from me so that bookie would not break your legs? :lol:

bah I lied about the bookie sorry. You had 'Mug' written all over you ;) What can I say? :D

earthdweller
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Aug 2007, 4:12 pm

psych wrote:
earthdweller wrote:
Personally, I look at the other angle that has to do with the brains' utilization of glucose, blood supply, and ATP utilization.

Do you think supplementation with creatine might be useful? As its supposed to have mild cognitive effects and has something to do with ATP (IIRC)

I try to look at disease models when I try to speculate on the effectiveness of some supplements.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creatine = below in this link, it tells how creatine could possibly benefit some people with some nervous system disorders.

http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec06/ch076/ch076e.html = effects of old age on the brain etc.

I do know that the brain, among other cells in the body, makes use of many different substances that support its metabolism and its energy demands.

http://www.boston.com/yourlife/health/d ... lood_flow/

Here is another thing that I want to comment on what I wrote earlier in the other post: I also want to add that its not the extra oxygenation that I would be in favor of if increased blood flow to the brain will result in that. But the blood is stable when this increased blood flow occurs and so I may be exxagerating on what may happen and may just happen mildly - but still exxagerating.

The blood vessals in the brain dialate or constrict based on the ratio of carbon dioxide to oxygeon that is in the blood system. But I learned that this has to do with the patterns irregular in breathing such as hyperventalization.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citric_acid_cycle = this explains the chemical conversion process that cells use to utilize cellular forms of energy and use them for ATP.

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2011, 11:09 am

Tried Ritalin, Dexedrine, and Adderall for ADHD but found that the old medicine, coffee - caffeine compounds, for me, worked better (not a cure) for ADHD.

KBerg
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Mar 2011, 11:34 am

nm.

Last edited by KBerg on 20 Mar 2011, 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

starlightdreams7
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Mar 2011, 1:10 pm

I've been taking dextrostat or recently, a combo of Dexedrine and dextrostat since I was about 11 or so, and its the only thing that doesn't give me horrible side effects. I'm one of THOSE...who are exquisitely sensitive to medications....I have frothed at the mouth and lost motor control when doctors got the urge to recklessly experiment with a average dose of some new, "no one has side effects meds". The only problem i have is slightly heightened blood pressure and I metabolize medications far too fast, thus the combination of long and short-acting forms within the day. But no, dextrostat is awesome and generic, since the patents are expired, which is probably why it is rarely prescribed vs. Adderall, which might mean you'll have to locate which pharmacies stock it routinely, I had to search around thus when I moved to college. Hope that helps!

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2011, 3:01 pm

I've been on all adhd drugs....

Adderall gives you more of a push because of the increased effect on noripinephrine

Dexedrine gives you less drive but more euphoria/mega focus/calmness

Methylphenidate is garbage IMO....and is more of a side effect then a cure. (Not to say that any of these are cures....substitutes maybe?)

A new thing more recently is for people to take a blood thinner....dont know much about the effectiveness of that.

Dexedrine specifically...you will not get withdrawal after not having it like you would Adderall because it does not have that drive factor that leaves you needing it when you dont have it. However dexedrine can still lead to a lot of sleepless nights on any dosage, but so can concerta which is what you are on- not sure how your sleep schedule is. You may get a heaviness in your chest that just kind of sits there, but isn't really doing any real damage supposedly. This can be very annoying in my opinion, and excercise can help lessen this effect. You will want to avoid foods with citrus in them as they will block the absorption of dextroamphetamine just as it would block adderall abosorption. Also, calcium should be avoided because it will make more absorb faster making it last shorter and causing a more up and down feeling.

With that all said I found dexedrine to be helpful and I got very good grades as I would be able to finally get my homework done with out a whole lot of issue. It can be a double edged sword, you could start focusing on cleaning, a project you are working on, studying something way out there, what ever it is you decide to sit down and do you will focus on it very well however it will not decide for you what to work or focus on. You could even focus on watching cartoons and remember every character/word said during the show. (I have had this happen......><)

My dosage is 3-5 10mg Spansules once a day.
My dosage for adderall was 30mg a day.

I have trouble taking it everyday because at this dosage I am often left sleepless and then the following day I am disoriented from lack of sleep and dont want to take it again. Lower dosages are inneffective for me so though I would like to take less, less is not effective.

I am not currently on this medication and have not been on it for 6 months.

Tambourine-Man
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2011, 9:45 am

Dexedrine is a godsend. I thought Adderall was wonderful, but I recently switched to Dexedrine IR (40mg throughout the day) and it takes the cake!

Burnbridge
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2011, 10:53 am

Dexies are nice, but very hard to find. Dextroamphetamine compounds are two of the four used in Adderall, though, which is much more common.

I've personally found them to not have any "speed" effects, just make me calm and incredibly clear thinking for about 10-12 hours. Other people I know get massive euphoria and hair-standing-on-end. Personally, I have not found any significant differences between amphetamines of various chemical structure: dexies, benies, meth (incl Ritalin), coke ... just slight variations in the "flavor" and severity of side effects. Dexies are the cleanest, IMO.

I've been thinking about getting an AS dx just to get Dexies or Adderal for driving. I get narcoleptic in cars, but once drove 10 hours easily on Adderal.

I think the especial nice thing about amphetamines is that you don't take them 24/7. Or shouldn't, even if you are prescribed that way. Very habit forming. They are debilitating after a coule years of constant use. But if it's just for road trips, infrequent big projects, of a weekly drive into town, they are pretty useful little buggers.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2011, 5:42 pm

I was given dexedrine when I was three years old and I still remember the nightmares and hallucinations it gave me. That was the first clue that I was on the autism spectrum and not ADHD.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

09 Oct 2011, 8:27 pm

Yeah, methylphenidate products like Concerta don't help me much. But it seems like you're only taking 36mg total. The max is 72mg daily.

Dappadee
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Oct 2011, 11:23 pm

I've been on dex for a few years now (dx ADHD and ASD). Dex works wonders for me; I tried a few others like methylphenidate, but the effects were fleeting and gave me migraines. I have no troubles on dex and it approved my sleep as well.