Is a formal diagnosis bad for health insurance, jobs, etc.?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2007, 12:40 pm

Does anyone know if there are downsides to a formal diagnosis in the United States? like related to getting health insurance, or jobs, or whatever else?

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2007, 1:26 pm

I don't know for sure, but when I was being evaluating, the clinic sent off a thing to the insurance company asking for funds to do a differential diagnosis of NLD vs. AS. My parents were upset when they heard this, because they didn't want the insurance company people to think I might have AS. They are both psychologists, so I don't know if they would know more about this in particular, but I know that it bothered them, although they weren't able to give me any concrete reasons why.

mmaestro
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2007, 1:56 pm

I've heard that insurance often won't cover treatment for Autism Spectrum Disorders, including AS, but of course that varies by policy. I'd check over the paperwork you've got from your insurance company, and give them a call (or better, have someone else ask if you're concerned about their reaction - careful, though, it's possible that lack of disclosure could affect your coverage, also).

Music of the Moment: Radiohead - In Rainbows

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2007, 2:08 pm

I think insurance only covers low spectrum autistic treatment and not Aspergers. I've got my insurance to cover my consultations that lead to diagnosis, but that's because I saw a neurologist and not a psych. I wouldn't let insurance know AS status and especially not your car insurance co if you have a good driving record. Don't announce it at work - EVER. And my personal opinion is also not to let Medic Alert know because if autistism is on the list of medical conditions they might deprive a person from being allowed to make their own medical decisions.

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2007, 2:24 pm

I was diagnosed through a "private" consultation with a university pyschologist. Now they have to have a paper with my name on it saying I gave permission to be seen there, but thats it when it comes to identifying who i am through paperwork

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2007, 2:30 pm

I probably didn't explain this very well. I'm assuming my insurance won't cover anything related to AS-I pretty much assume it won't cover much of anything. But I'm worried that even getting a diagnosis could hurt my ability to get/keep insurance in the future, or be discriminated against in other ways (like for jobs or whatever).

It would be nice if insurance would cover testing...

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2007, 2:33 pm

Ticker wrote:
I think insurance only covers low spectrum autistic treatment and not Aspergers. I've got my insurance to cover my consultations that lead to diagnosis, but that's because I saw a neurologist and not a psych. I wouldn't let insurance know AS status and especially not your car insurance co if you have a good driving record. Don't announce it at work - EVER. And my personal opinion is also not to let Medic Alert know because if autistism is on the list of medical conditions they might deprive a person from being allowed to make their own medical decisions.

What might happen if I talked about it at work? I was actually wanting to be able to do that with my boss if I got an official diagnosis. I hoped it might explain some stuff better :?

mmaestro wrote:
I've heard that insurance often won't cover treatment for Autism Spectrum Disorders, including AS, but of course that varies by policy. I'd check over the paperwork you've got from your insurance company, and give them a call (or better, have someone else ask if you're concerned about their reaction - careful, though, it's possible that lack of disclosure could affect your coverage, also).

What do you mean by lack of disclosure? Like if I knew I had AS for sure, but didn't tell them, and they somehow found out?

CentralFLM
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Sep 2007, 3:09 pm

I'm mixed on this. I see the issue with the insurance companies, but how about the upside. What if we get ourselves in sticky situations or break the law as a result of our Apergers? If we are already diagnosed it would be a justified excuse for a lot of behavior. Also, it is not really recognized as a disability yet, but in the future as it does become more recognized there might be an opportunity to draw social security or disability. To be frank, I am concerned for my well being in the future.

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2007, 3:12 pm

CentralFLM wrote:
I'm mixed on this. I see the issue with the insurance companies, but how about the upside. What if we get ourselves in sticky situations or break the law as a result of our Apergers? If we are already diagnosed it would be a justified excuse for a lot of behavior. Also, it is not really recognized as a disability yet, but in the future as it does become more recognized there might be an opportunity to draw social security or disability. To be frank, I am concerned for my well being in the future.

Yeah, me too. Part of why I want to know is just for myself, but I also HOPE there's help available out there.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

06 Sep 2007, 4:28 pm

medicare is sending me some disenrollment forms, i never used it to recive treatment so i dont know, but when i was on my states health insurance i could get treatment for it. as far as jobs are concerned i was also enrolled in vocational rehabilitation for almost a year that i didnt have to pay for. my guess is if your really need the help do that one, and see if you like it. naturally being the autistic f-up that i am, it didnt work but whatever :D