Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2007, 6:19 pm

Do you tend to imitate some of the mannerisms of fictional characters when interacting with others? For example, I often mimic the body language of Phoenix Wright characters, such as holding my hand over my mouth when shocked, like Ema does, or rubbing my temples with my index fingers when I'm trying to think, like Ini does.

What about you?

Anie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Aug 2007, 8:28 pm

I used to channel some of my own 'fictional' characters, though I don't like to think of them as fictional. :P

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2007, 8:46 pm

I do this all the time. It's mainly little things no one really seems to notice, although they do pick up on them too after a short while. Some are more obvious (like Stephanie Tanner's "How rude!") and some are just very, very subtle. I will use them if the situation calls for those moments, which is actually pretty often. :wink:

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2007, 9:42 pm

Definitely! Though sometimes the quote or monologue can be from outside pop culture, so "common man" doesn't know what I'm talking about - then just look at me like I'm a weirdo.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2007, 9:48 pm

Anie wrote:
I used to channel some of my own 'fictional' characters, though I don't like to think of them as fictional. :P

Y'know, I don't really like to think of fictional characters as fictional either... Instead of saying they 'don't exist' I like to think of them as existing in our minds and hearts.

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2007, 10:22 pm

I used to imitate Hermione Granger when interacting with some people and feeling really stressed out or know-it-allish, or diplomatic and nice and tactful.

I also used to imitate Rom Weasley when I felt embarrassed and stupid and immature.

I used to imitate Ginny Weasley when I was feeling passionate about something having to do with someone I care about.

I used to imitate Luna Lovegood when I felt eccentric and wanted to annoy people with it.

I used to imitate Neville Longbottom when I felt stupid but it was totally innocent and accidrntal and because of social anxiety.

I used to imitate Sirius Black when defending my disaster-happiness and trying to convince people that it was an okay, if not noble, trait to have.

I used to imitate Albus Dumbledore when I felt noble and wise and at peace with myself!

SoccerFreak
Toucan
Toucan

30 Aug 2007, 10:37 pm

people say I used to talk like invader zim.

and my HFA and aspie friends like to play a game where we quote and imitate people or characters from movies, tv shows, or video games. It's alot of fun.

samtoo
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2007, 12:29 am

I think I'm Scorpion. XD

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2007, 1:25 am

I use to do when I was younger I remember when I was 7 years old I went to a church nativity I was going to be in it but I dropped out. I remember talking to people I also remember I tried to be like The Doctor from Doctor Who. I was in the church I think I might of said something on the lines of there are daleks here or something like that.

Last edited by MrMacPhisto on 31 Aug 2007, 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Le_Samourai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Aug 2007, 1:31 am

samtoo wrote:
I think I'm Scorpion. XD

You mean you can rip the skin off your face and breathe fire? Awesome!! ;p

Getting back on the subject, after watching Bedazzled, I sometimes rub the back of my neck. And thanks to Army of Darkness, I refer to shotguns as "boomsticks". And to be funny, I sometimes talk like Nicolas Cage did in Vampire's Kiss.

Arbie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2007, 3:22 am

When I watch allot of the Sopranos I start to pick up a bit of a jersey accent and some of Tony Sopranos mannerisms.

When I was a teenager I used to watch allot of Beavis and Butthead and I would pick up their mannerisms as well which incidentally, and amusingly annoyed the heck out of my parents.

shopaholic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2007, 5:07 am

Yes, I definitely do this. Not sure if people notice or not.

Also, I know this sounds weird, but I often talk to myself "in my head" (or occasionally whispering if I am on my own) & when I do this I call myself by the name of a fictional character. This name will change periodically. Right now it is "Kanna" after a manga character.

Don't know why I do this - maybe I am trying to give myself some of the qualities of the character?

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2007, 9:45 am

shopaholic wrote:
Yes, I definitely do this. Not sure if people notice or not.

Also, I know this sounds weird, but I often talk to myself "in my head" (or occasionally whispering if I am on my own) & when I do this I call myself by the name of a fictional character. This name will change periodically. Right now it is "Kanna" after a manga character.

Don't know why I do this - maybe I am trying to give myself some of the qualities of the character?

That's very interesting.

Litguy
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2007, 10:35 am

Ana54 wrote:
I used to imitate Hermione Granger when interacting with some people and feeling really stressed out or know-it-allish, or diplomatic and nice and tactful.

I also used to imitate Rom Weasley when I felt embarrassed and stupid and immature.

I used to imitate Ginny Weasley when I was feeling passionate about something having to do with someone I care about.

I used to imitate Luna Lovegood when I felt eccentric and wanted to annoy people with it.

I used to imitate Neville Longbottom when I felt stupid but it was totally innocent and accidrntal and because of social anxiety.

I used to imitate Sirius Black when defending my disaster-happiness and trying to convince people that it was an okay, if not noble, trait to have.

I used to imitate Albus Dumbledore when I felt noble and wise and at peace with myself!
Yeah, but have you ever read any Harry Potter? :lol:

ping-machine
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2007, 4:50 am

Yeah. I imitate fictional characters too -- they're as prominent a part of my landscape as real people are, and I do have a natural, unintentional tendency to mimic.

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2007, 4:59 am

A-A-Am I-I-I really required to answer this question, insect?

~ SHODAN, the AI goddess gone mad