Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Vastarien
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Aug 2007, 9:08 pm

Oh, yes, oh yes! I used to get them all the time at work, sometimes as many as three or four in a single eight-hour shift!
It really does feel like you are going to die in five seconds, while everything around you gets the volume turned up to eleven, in full spazzma-color! I especially had fun when it started coming on, I could just feel that wave of almost-nausea creeping in, and then the gradual chest pressure, as if my lungs only went down half-way. Try doing this in a small call-center. :cry: Yeah, I don't go there anymore. I loved it, the people were awesome and very understanding, I just couldn't take it anymore. My attacks have sharply dropped off since I stopped working, but sometimes I still get one. I handle them better than my mom handles hers, I'm drug free entirely. She can't get through her day without Ativan or Xanax. I just don't like to see her drugging to get through them, but if it works for her, great! I just try to tell myself that I'm really ok, I'm safe, and it's just a physical reaction that has nothing to do with anything I did. It helps, but the attacks still suck. :lol: Good luck with yours!

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2007, 2:12 am

Sometimes I'll wake up suddenly before my alarm goes off in the morning and I'll have this intense feeling of sadness and doom. My mind will automatically go into all these negative obsessive thoughts. I get a STRONG sinking feeling in my chest and feel out of breath as if I'm drowning. It feels almost like someone just told me that I have some horrible incurable disease or that everyone I know is now dead. It's odd because it only happens in the morning and improves fairly quickly as soon as I'm able to get out of bed. Sometimes the feeling comes back during the day, but not nearly as intense.

I don't know if this is a panic attack or just some weird symptom of my overall anxiety and depression. Does anyone else get this?

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2007, 2:25 am

Not so much now. The last time was last year when my neighbour turned up and started to smash my flat up and the police had to take him to hospital. He had a breakdown and needed to be sectioned.

jijin
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Aug 2007, 4:21 am

I get like I need to move around, like strong enough to seriously think about quitting my job bad at times.

I can almost snap and hurt people if I'm touched when I don't want to be.

Cause we don?t clean up our own s**t
And when refused we throw a fit
As we scream ?I don-wanna-hear-it?

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2007, 5:28 am

I had my first panic attack when I was 6 years old. I suddenly started shaking, worrying hugely and I felt dizzy, nauseous and confused. I had them on and off for the next several years although they seem to have stopped now. I tend to get just the sensory overloads these days.

Kittygirl

01 Sep 2007, 3:14 pm

I have panic attacks sometimes. One time I had a panic attack in school and I started rocking back and forth in my wheelchair and hyperventilating. I needed to breathe into a paper bag. The people around me thought I was going to have a psychotic breakdown and I had to be restrained. That only made me panic more.

Tempy
Toucan
Toucan

01 Sep 2007, 6:31 pm

I have at least 2 a day.

OMGpenguin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Sep 2007, 8:15 pm

SapphoWoman wrote:
Instead of a "panic" attack, I get overwhelmed/overloaded, and sort of shut down. I am quiet and move slowly and it looks like I went suddenly numb. If I need to move out of a situation, I will, but it is not in a panicky way (although inside, I am technically panicking, but it comes out as slow...)

I have these more often, usually when I'm doing a lot of things at once, or have been working on something complicated for a while. It's comparable to my ears ringing, altough there is no actual ringing, just a disruption in how I can think. Puts me in a dazed sort of state, but it lasts 15 minutes - two hours.

Panic attacks? Once a year or so.

samtoo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2007, 3:19 pm

This is such a bizarre thing... it knocks me waaaaaaay back temporarily from my massive continuing progress.

Panic attacks... nasty little blighters. I'm calm the vast majority of times and then an uncommon panic attack will hit me and alter the course of direction.
This is most bizarre because the vast majority of times I'm really calm.

samtoo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2007, 4:43 pm

I think I've just had one... or am having one... they are very discomforting. :(

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2007, 1:35 am

I get them every few months it seems. Used to get them daily about a year ago because I had a supervisor that was out to get me. She left the company though.

I was dx with PTSD from the getting struck twice by lightning and having a near drowning. When it thunders or lightnings I get panicy sometimes and pace like one of those hyper little dogs. Sometimes I shake. Other times it doesn't bother me.

ping-machine
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2007, 3:16 am

Woman wrote:
I used to get them so badly that I wound up hyperventilating. That was in my adolescent years. I'm 29 now, still with anxiety, but do not have panic attacks anymore.

Me too (and I'm also 29) But I do worry sometimes that I might start again. My last full meltdown was almost four years ago. I wish there was something to be done!!

ping-machine
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2007, 12:40 am

Make that four days ago. BUGGER!

FleaCircus
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Sep 2007, 1:51 am

I remember having one just before leaving to go to camp.
It was like almost 5:00 am, and I was just so excited I couldn't wait.
I was scared of missing the trip, and it lead me to drinking 2 energy drinks so I wouldn't fall asleep.
I panicked in front of my class, which was so embarrassing.

since that day, I will never touch another energy drink again.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

08 Sep 2007, 11:03 am

ive had some real nasty ones, one required hospitalization and a days supply of valuims. hopefully that one will never happen again, i used to think anxiety was the worst mental problem until i was depressed then i'd think depression was worse than anxiety. but when i was having a severe panic attack i said to myself "is there anything worse than this?" yeah i can never decide :lol:

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2007, 3:52 pm

I had some and I even know I'll most likely get them, whenever certain topics come up. I didn't know these weird attacks were panic attacks until I remembered there was such a thing. I haven't been to a psychologist because of it, but panic attacks really frighten me and I hate to have them.