How often do you think of your "autism"?

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

How often do you think of your "autism"?
Poll ended at 16 Sep 2007, 12:39 am
when dont i? 35%  35%  [ 11 ]
a few times a day when something awkward happens 42%  42%  [ 13 ]
a few times a week 10%  10%  [ 3 ]
hardly ever, in fact im just checking some pms here 13%  13%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 31

dime_jaguar
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Sep 2007, 12:39 am

I havent been on this site in a while and i think it has to do with the fact that i dont think of my self as "autistic" anymore, just a cool guy with some quirks. I went through this phase where i kind of hit a wall and tried to explain why i do things a certain way, but for about 4-5 months now, i hardly try to say to myself, "well, its because im hfa/as" to explain my choices. Its more of, "well this particular situation happened this way and there was nothing else i could of done to make it better", and having that mind set to where i couldnt of done anything else, and the learned experiences because of it far outweigh the fact that something didnt go as i would of preferred. These past few months for me have been great, although its been alot tougher on myself, its also so much more rewarding. I guess what im wondering is, how often do you think of yourself as autistic, and how do you feel about yourself because of it. Im me, the fact that i might be a little bit "aspie" is no longer in my daily thoughts, and i feel much more human and independent because of it.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Sep 2007, 2:40 am

I'm still discovering that I'm aspie and searching a new way of life, so it takes up a lot of my time. But it's worth it.

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2007, 2:57 am

I wouldn't think about it if I wasn't on here... I jsut came here to meet friends who would understand my social anxiety because they're anxious around people themselves, and besides that there is less of a chance people will pick on me because they've been picked on themselves and know better... and I also wanted people to understand my awful depression and there are some very depressed people here. :)

different
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Sep 2007, 3:18 am

At this point I think about it all the time. Like you said, I think it is a phase you have to go through when you get diagnosed. I guess things will just be back to "normal" in a couple of months or so.. After all I am the same person as I were before I got diagnosed, so I have lived with my Asperger all of my life already...

QL
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Sep 2007, 3:37 am

I guess "When I Don't" would be a the most appropriate choice for me. It's not like it's eating away at my soul 24/7 but it crosses my mind almost always.

13 Sep 2007, 3:38 am

I think about it everyday rather I am borderline AS or PDD-NOS. I have lot of things to say to my shrink about all my traits I have and my past. I wrote it all down.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2007, 5:09 am

I do fink about it a few tyms in a week about my AS but i look it as a postive n not as a negative as im able 2 do tings dat mainstream ppl can't do such as memorising train timetables, road maps n able 2 compete wid mainstream ppl in cricket n tennis however i always get in 2 a routine n if ppl break dem i get really pissed off.

Tempy
Toucan
Toucan

13 Sep 2007, 6:23 am

"a few times a day when something awkward happens" scept akward things happen to me all the time.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2007, 8:58 am

Whenever I do something stupid or absentminded.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2007, 9:55 am

I come on here, but I don't think about it all the time. Autism helps me to understand what I love to research and that is the human mind. I now know that I am autistic and I am often remembered by things that my brain works differently and that all my experiences have been different from what. I'm proud of the way I am and autism is just a part of it for me. So, it's like autism is just like body parts or my hobbies to me; it doesn't have a special relevance but I'm very fine with the idea.

But seeing autism as in the disorder autism that I have, I try to get away from everything related to this like therapy and confrontations and trouble because of autistic behaviour as much as possible. I dislike that a lot, it makes me question myself as someone who is strange or even ill and this idea just doesn't sit right with me.

Bart21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2007, 10:01 am

I rarely think about it.
1-2 times a week i think on average.
When you think about it too much you start feeling like a victim.
I know my brain works a bit differently, but i try to fit in.

Talking about it is also something i don't do.
People wil change theyr view on you when you do.
This way generally assures people wil judge me for who i am.
Not as someone with a disease or a handicap.
generally this works alot better for me.

This makes me happier, and my life more normal.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2007, 10:04 am

When I was younger I thought I'd naturally grow out of my quirks just like one grows out of wearing a diaper or playing with dolls. Now when I have found about AS I realized that conviction wasn't necesserily true. I think about the reason of my wierdness, I'd say, almost all the time - even if I don't ponder it consciously, that thought is lurking somewhere there, in the darkest nooks of my mind. And I'm glad I'm myself. Maybe I'd like to change some things if I had such a possibility but generally I'd never want to change a very essence of my self. Never. I like observing people, for example in a bus, and I wonder then what they'd say if I told them I've AS :twisted:

dime_jaguar
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Sep 2007, 11:59 am

Bart21 wrote:
I rarely think about it.
1-2 times a week i think on average.
When you think about it too much you start feeling like a victim.
I know my brain works a bit differently, but i try to fit in.

Talking about it is also something i don't do.
People wil change theyr view on you when you do.
This way generally assures people wil judge me for who i am.
Not as someone with a disease or a handicap.
generally this works alot better for me.

This makes me happier, and my life more normal.

I agree, people dont want to here that your helpless against interacting socially if one some occasions you do it fine, lets say your comfortable, or with some family members. People are smart(alot of them not very cultured though), they try to understand when something doesnt click, its the curiosity in all people, so if you just are genuine in your ways people will hold their judgment because alot of the times they want your approval as well.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

13 Sep 2007, 12:15 pm

Bart21 wrote:
I rarely think about it.

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Sep 2007, 2:17 pm

I never used to think about it, then 1 day I found this place, back during the late winter, and now its on my mind more,. I could have went years during high school beleive I grew outa what my father called 'juvinal autism' but I always stuck out like a sour thumb, 1 day I decided to actually find out what HFA was (i never knew, just that I had it when I was younger) and learned alot, then I found this place. I dont think that being here caused me to think about it, but I do think that when I thought about it I found this place and now continue to think about it as I go on day to day, kinda a way to understand better why I do/act the way I do.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2007, 5:24 pm

There is no category for "only when dealing with language".

I don't think of myself split up into autistic parts and non-autistic parts and all that, I just do things and live my life.

But when I have to talk to people about various things, then autism becomes a relevant category.