Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2007, 1:17 pm

Last night (Wednesday night) I went to a discussion group which is part of the church I go to and the person who was leading the discussion had to leave early because he was working nights this week. He left halfway through the discussion or sermon and someone had to finish it for him out of everyone he and everyone in the discussion picked me to finish the sermon he gave me his notes and I sat there for what was about 2 minutes reading the notes awkardly sitting queitly thinking 'What am I suppose to do' well I manage to carry on the discussion for another 30 minutes so that was good.

Has anyone been in a situation where they have been dropped in it.

jnet
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Sep 2007, 2:09 pm

I politely decline when that happens to me.

Flismflop
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2007, 2:30 pm

If they privately asked me to take over, I would decline by saying "I have trouble speaking publicly". If they publicly asked me to take over, I would say "I can't because I too have to leave early" and then privately revert to the first response.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2007, 7:06 pm

Why is it so often people look to us to do these sorts of things... like we're almost asked to be leaders despite being constantly teased for being weirdoes!

markaudette
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2007, 10:04 pm

There is no way in hell they could have got me to continue with the discussion. I would have turned red as a beet and would have sunk down in my seat because of the embarrassment. I may have even left the room entirely if they pressed the issue.

void
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Sep 2007, 10:21 pm

I think you did very well.

I have had it happen and it causes an immediate panic attack. Usually when I go die in the hall, people either understand or laugh, either way I get out of it.

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2007, 2:36 am

Also in three weeks time I have to lead the whole discussion.

Aurum
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Sep 2007, 11:27 pm

I think this is a tendency people have to try to draw others out of their shell so to speak. They may see it as something wrong and hope that if they try to draw you out it'll benefit you.

I'm not speaking on how right or wrong this is, but I think that's what it comes down to. They are, in theory, in their own mind, trying to help.