Do you have a good command of language?

Page 1 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2007, 10:44 am

I love precision and always do my best to express what I have to say excellently, expressing my thoughts as they really are, not more and not less. I like grammatical, properly constructed sentences very much. I have rich vocabulary and very good command of language. I grieve at the fact that so many people's language is not used precisely enough by them to deliver a clear message. Vocabulary normally used by me (especially when I am writing something) tend to be complicated and sophisticated, I like also archaic expressions which are already out of use for many years. I get really angry when I can't find really precise verbal counterpart of my thought. And you? :P

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2007, 10:51 am

Irulan wrote:
I love precision and always do my best to express what I have to say excellently, expressing my thoughts as they really are, not more and not less. I like grammatical, properly constructed sentences very much. I have rich vocabulary and very good command of language. I grieve at the fact that so many people's language is not used precisely enough by them to deliver a clear message. Vocabulary normally used by me (especially when I am writing something) tend to be complicated and sophisticated, I like also archaic expressions which are already out of use for many years. I get really angry when I can't find really precise verbal counterpart of my thought. And you? :P

SAME HERE! I just wish I still had the ability I used to. You know.... I once studied a LITTLE polish. That WAS like 20 years ago though, and I never went back. I wish I could speak it HALF as well as you speak English!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2007, 10:52 am

I have a very good command of language.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Jainaday
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2007, 10:59 am

Yeah. . . I'd like to think I'm articulate with words.

However, I find that

a) smaller chunks of ideas tend to be much easier for my ADD brain to process. . .

and

b) though I'm also fond of archaic expressions that I feel are more clear less formal language- even if it is apparently more vague- is often more articulate, because it more clearly conveys non-verbal details that add nuance to communication.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2007, 11:15 am

2ukenkerl wrote:
SAME HERE! I just wish I still had the ability I used to. You know.... I once studied a LITTLE polish. That WAS like 20 years ago though, and I never went back. I wish I could speak it HALF as well as you speak English!

You've already mentioned somewhere that you had been learning Polish, I remember :) Can you say something in this language yet? :) And it's our favourite tongue twister - http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=CG0vT0s8930 :D Have you tried to repeat the sentence about the beetle in the cane in Szczebrzeszyn town? :twisted:

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Sep 2007, 11:51 am

I am also that way. I regret the casual way that we all speak in America, when there are richer and more eloquent ways of expressing oneself. I love reading Victorian novels where this is demonstrated, even more do I love hearing it.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2007, 12:07 pm

Irulan wrote:
2ukenkerl wrote:

You've already mentioned somewhere that you had been learning Polish, I remember :) Can you say something in this language yet? :) And it's our favourite tongue twister - http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=CG0vT0s8930 :D Have you tried to repeat the sentence about the beetle in the cane in Szczebrzeszyn town? :twisted:

At the time, I certainly could. I don't dare anymore. I mentioned it only because you are polish. Right now, I am just studying French, English, Spanish, German, Hindi. Later I may include Danish into the mix again. I DO have a real nice course on Polish though. 8-) I don't recall the title at the moment though, and the book is at home about 700 miles away. 8-(

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2007, 12:33 pm

hartzofspace wrote:
I am also that way. I regret the casual way that we all speak in America, when there are richer and more eloquent ways of expressing oneself. I love reading Victorian novels where this is demonstrated, even more do I love hearing it.

It's a pity that if somebody tries to be eloquent, he exposes himself to other people's suprise. I don't like colloquial expressions, like those which we can find in the lyrics of hip hop songs :?

Last edited by Irulan on 23 Sep 2007, 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2007, 1:04 pm

I tend to stand out for using proper language instead of monosyllabic grunting used by even the generation before me. :? ...and they look at me like I'm a weirdo. :roll:

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2007, 1:18 pm

I've listed one of my interests as Etymology (the study of words) so I like to
think I have a good command of language.Of course,knowing about individual
words is a step below putting a sequence of words together ! I think in the English-speaking countries we underestimate the ability of non-native speakers.It's only when we're exposed to languages like Russian,with it's Cyrillic alphabet, or Polish that we realise how much of an achievement it is to be fluent in a different language ftom your own.
Here in the UK there are so many dialects and local slang words that
people become complacent and remiss when they have to communicate
further afield.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2007, 1:37 pm

Yes, I love words. I have loved words since I was a child and used to spend time with the dictionary, writing out the ones I found most impressive. I also used to love spelling and that has always come very naturally to me.
Numbers, however, are another matter.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Sep 2007, 1:39 pm

Irulan wrote:
hartzofspace wrote:

It's a pity that if somebody tries to be eloquent, he exposes himself to other people's suprise. I don't like colloquial expressions, like those which we can find in the lyrics of hip hop songs:?

In school, I was accused of showing off, or using "big words." I questioned the dubious pleasure of showing off, and explained that the words being used weren't big to me.

ev8
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Sep 2007, 1:43 pm

Yeah, I hate when I say something moderately intelligent and get the "... big words dude" response. Especially when I said something like "deception" or "ridicule." Whenever vocabulary was being taught throughout my entire school career I have been in my element. I also LOVE wordplay and changing the meaning of something to something ridiculous.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Sep 2007, 1:45 pm

ev8 wrote:
Yeah, I hate when I say something moderately intelligent and get the "... big words dude" response. Especially when I said something like "deception" or "ridicule." Whenever vocabulary was being taught throughout my entire school career I have been in my element. I also LOVE wordplay and changing the meaning of something to something ridiculous.

You mean like, "And now, ladies and gentlemen, Mrs. Playbody will Pea on the Piano, instead of, "Mrs. Peabody will play on the piano?" :lol:

Griff
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2007, 1:56 pm

Incredibly so. When I get on a roll, though, I find myself babbling at such a tremendous speed that people have trouble keeping up with what I'm saying. I do tend to use complete sentences more often when I'm speaking in this way, though. I have a very rich vocabulary, and I am highly skilled at using it to create imagery.

ev8
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Sep 2007, 1:57 pm

hartzofspace wrote:
ev8 wrote:

You mean like, "And now, ladies and gentlemen, Mrs. Playbody will Pea on the Piano, instead of, "Mrs. Peabody will play on the piano?" :lol:

Peecisely.