Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Blue
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Oct 2007, 4:51 pm

Hi there
Please can someone help me?
My son has always disliked clothing, but because he is under stress at the moment it is the worst it has ever been.
The main problem is socks, he can't stand them. It can take up to 30 minutes just to find a pair that feels comfortable.
If he doesn't wear socks then his shoes hurt him.
You can imagine how difficult it is in the mornings getting him ready for school.
It's also difficult for my son because he becomes so frustrated that he screams and hits himself.
Has anyone else ever had this problem? did anyone overcome it.
I'd be grateful for any advice!
x

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2007, 5:01 pm

I used to have problems like that, but I overcame them.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

different
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Oct 2007, 5:02 pm

I recognise this problem and I still have it even though I am 30 years old. Some materials are very uncomfortable and I only have a couple of socks that I can stand to wear for more than 3 hours. Usually I take off my socks as soon as I come home. Worst of all is turtle necks, they make me feel like I am choking.. I have a couple of turtle necks because they are warmer when I go out trail riding in winter storms but I have been pulled the collars so much that they just hang.. I cannot stand if a scarf is lying against my neck either..

/Anna

krex
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2007, 5:07 pm

I have more texture issues with my hands then feet but you can try what I do.I file off any rough bits and then use lotion to cut down on the feeling.It's not an idea solution because I dont really like the feeling of "sticky" either but it is the lesser of evils.I'm sorry he is going through this,as his other stressers lessen,the sensory issues will get a bit better.I assume he is wearing cotton and not synthetics?I also really like those "fuzzy socks" but that might overload some people.

On another note,I am 43 and there was no awareness of hypersensitivity,so my parents assumed I was making things up.It is great that you realize that your son is actually feeling,what he says he is feeling.There are several books out now about sensitivities,have you checked out any suggestions there?Some of the issues I did "grow out of"...but I still feel like screaming when I touch synthetic fabrics(actually,I wear gloves for this at work).

I wish you both luck.Try a pedicure file on feet if he can stand it and then use lotion.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

Blue
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Oct 2007, 5:07 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
I used to have problems like that, but I overcame them.

Tim

Did you do something to overcome them, or did it just go away?

I've tried rewarding him when he has had to wear clothing that he finds uncomfortable, but it doesn't seem to work.
He says that the clothes physically hurt him.

Blue
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Oct 2007, 5:17 pm

Krex-That's a great idea about the books on sensitivities, I never thought about that! I will have a look on Amazon.

He loves his feet massaged with cream, so I'll try and do it before the socks go on!

Thanks for the suggestions!

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2007, 6:38 pm

Blue wrote:
Krex-That's a great idea about the books on sensitivities, I never thought about that! I will have a look on Amazon.

He loves his feet massaged with cream, so I'll try and do it before the socks go on!

Thanks for the suggestions!

WOW, you bring back memories! YEAH, I HATE socks. One thing I like better is TUBE SOCKS!

Have you had your son try THEM? They give a bit more space, and are more flexible.

makelifehappen
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2007, 6:52 pm

I too have this issue. It is such a strange thing for me, as I never even associated these sensitivities with anything. I used to refer to it as a bizarre claustrophobia of the feet type feeling. I clearly remember times when I have jumped out of bed to cut the bottoms of my pants off in order to find comfort when going to sleep at night.

I have always refused socks and when I absolutely had to, it took alot of mental prep. to do so. The first thing I do when I walk in the door is off with the shoes, socks, etc.

I also get this feeling when my feet are covered with blankets, etc. It seriously gives me a very anxious, suffocation-like feeling when my feet are covered.

It is very insane.

I clearly remember times when I would purposely test myself to see how much I could handle. I tried to play mind games with myself and attempt to avoid thoughts of how it felt etc.

These days I am a little better, but at times this still creeps up and I am nearly 30.

My 9 year old also struggles with a million sensory issues, but we haven't very much experience with any therapy for these issues. Perhaps you would benefit from reading The Out of Sync Child & The out of Sync Child has Fun.

Finally, best wishes. It is not easy, I know.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2007, 6:56 pm

Have you tried socks made of different materials? Especially soft materials? This has always made a big difference for me. I used to have a lot of sensitivities, but that was back when it was not widely understood, so I was accused to complaining or acting "spoiled" or "trying to get attention". It's good that you can see that this is a real problem. A lot of my sensitivities simply went away as I got older, but I still have a few. They haven't been an issue for me since I've learned how to avoid the things I'm negatively sensitive to.

CeriseLy
Toucan
Toucan

03 Oct 2007, 7:35 pm

Is it the seam on the toes that is driving him crazy? It drives me mad if the socks aren't aligned properly. I am completely incapacitated.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2007, 8:42 pm

Even as an Aspie adult, I much, MUCH prefer loose-fitting super-soft socks (as well as anything, really!)

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

03 Oct 2007, 8:54 pm

I have to wear really thin ankle socks. Thick socks, or the type that go up your leg are very irritating and I never wear them.
I don't have any suggestions that have not been mentioned here already, but I hope atleast one of them helps your son.

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2007, 9:05 pm

This site sells seamless socks http://www.storesonline.com/site/547049/page/118294?gclid=CPvOtJmT9I4CFQzCYgodnyIcEQ Do you think that would help?

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2007, 12:36 am

I won't wear socks at all still, and I'm 27. I even wear sandals without socks in the winter time.

I'm my own guinea pig.

Joybob
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Oct 2007, 12:41 am

Buy him some Crocs, end of story.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2007, 12:56 am

I also cannot STAND any clothing like wool that's too scratchy on the skin. I will still wear a t-shirt underneath a sweater that's anything less than "nice and soft". When I was in the military cadets I would wear cotton socks underneath the uniform's wool socks.

I learned to alllllmost appreciate wool socks after a camping trip where non-stop rain soaked my feet and cotton socks. Someone had wool socks to spare, so I put on the wool socks, then plastic bags to keep my feet dry against the wet boots.... the relief was so intense after the misery of wet feet! I remember that feeling anytime I put on wool socks and that lessens the scratchiness of them. :)