Page 1 of 6 [ 81 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

lonely autistic
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Apr 2016, 5:49 pm

Does anyone here feel they have a low iq? I always felt like I was, Im 35 and feel my whole life tha everything was hard for me! I never felt I was really talented at anything, I had no special gifts and had to work extra hard to do anything even the most menial tasks, I'd like to take an IQ test sometime and know for sure but do any of you feel this way and do you feel some autistic people have low IQ'S

Last edited by lonely autistic on 27 Apr 2016, 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2016, 5:53 pm

If you're 3, and writing this, you probably have a genius IQ LOL.

Some autistic people have low IQ's. I don't think you're one of them.

It seems to me that you are too down on yourself.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2016, 5:56 pm

I've been told that I'm intelligent and gifted, but even I couldn't write or use a computer at age 3. :)

muffinhead
Toucan
Toucan

27 Apr 2016, 6:06 pm

If you're 3 and you can type/write that well, then I'm pretty astonished

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2016, 6:07 pm

When I got my diagnosis part of the diagnostic testing was to determine IQ. Mine is actually right on the borderline of gifted but sometimes you would never know that when you hang out with me. I come across very not intelligent very often. I think a lot of that has to do with how I process information. I process it very differently from NT's, all Autistics do, that is part of what makes us Autistic. So sometimes because of how I might come to a conclusion about something, or how I might do something, I appear rather stupid. But in reality, my IQ is rather high.

Wreck It Ralph

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2016, 6:10 pm

lonely autistic wrote:
Does anyone here feel they have a low iq? I always felt like I was, Im 3

There's a missing digit there. 30?

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2016, 6:15 pm

Yeah, there has to be a missing digit. To come up with such an original post about the lifetime issues of a 3 year old who feels incompetent in lifetime achievements, that would be pretty genius! Quite funny actually. :D But then again, the OP is from Alabama, they do have some pretty smart overachievers there! :D

Wreck It Ralph

lonely autistic
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Apr 2016, 6:22 pm

lol i'm 35, my keyboard is messed up, thanks guys lol

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2016, 6:25 pm

Still, you probably don't have a low IQ.

I think you're just feeling down today.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2016, 6:25 pm

That makes much more sense! :D

Wreck It Ralph

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2016, 7:20 pm

I was thinking it was more like 37.635....kinda like his own stardate.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2016, 9:39 pm

Shortly after I got my Asperger's diagnosis my IQ was tested and it came out to be 129. Even so I have trouble focusing sometimes, I have trouble processing language, my short term memory sucks, I feel like it often takes more mental effort for me to do certain things then for others, and I am failing high school despite my best efforts. That kind of stuff doesn't necessarily mean that you have a low IQ, especially if you are autistic.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2016, 1:01 am

I'm challenged with my IQ in learning, low average but still average. I think being autistic impacts mine the largest.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2016, 2:46 am

All the time. Abstractness isn't my forte so I can't do abstract reasoning IQ tests that autistic people are supposedly good at. I also feel I am slow and I never went to college for a degree and my work had to be modified in high school. I was told it was part of AS to be a concrete learner and thinker and that was why my learning style is different and that AS affects me there. But after seeing how well others on the autism spectrum can do their school work and not need modifications and can go off to college and do abstract thinking, something else must be wrong with me and my mom was mistaking. I don't know how she got that information either. But then I read that slow learners are concrete and excel in concrete things but the only thing is my IQ is too high for me to be a slow learner. My last IQ score was a 99 for overall. Also I don't have any special gifts and I am not very creative. I feel so dull and useless. Plus I feel I don't know how to do a lot of things and I feel stupid when I take something seriously. I mean since ASDers are supposed to be logical, I shouldn't have been that literal. A rude woman jokes how a house my mom and I were looking at had been empty for 25 years so I asked about it and then she said "Does this home look like it's been sat empty for twenty five years?" Yeah I felt stupid for taking her comment seriously when she was probably just joking or being sarcastic. Then I make myself feel better when I think of stupid things autistic people have done, Chris Chan for example or someone writing on here about an autistic man they know will hand his whole entire paycheck to someone if they tell him a sob story. Yeah I am not that naive, my bills come first and keeping a roof over my head and I am not going to trust a bunch of internet strangers if they tell me to do stupid things. Also think of the phrase "raining cats and dogs" and autistic people taking it literal when they are supposed to be logical. There I feel better.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2016, 3:47 am

Logicality varies from person to person. I'm not strong in abstract reasoning either.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2016, 3:51 am

Lumi wrote:
Logicality varies from person to person. I'm not strong in abstract reasoning either.

So I guess not all autistic people are good in patterns and analytical thinking or even being logical despite that studies have shown that more people with ASD score higher in that area than people without it do?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.