Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Lateralus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Oct 2007, 7:31 am

I forgot i emailed them just to see what they would tell me about going to the doctor about depression and anxiety. I got a reply and a doc attached which i had forgot about and already been to since and got help and meds with no mention of AS.

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN

We have prepared the following guidance for health professionals who may encounter patients with autism and Asperger Syndrome who may be admitted for investigation or treatment.

People with an autistic spectrum disorder (ASD) have impaired social interaction and communication, and may not able to express their needs and feelings clearly. Questions need to be phrased simply, using direct, concrete language. If the individual is non verbal, or uses an alternative communication system, someone who can communicate effectively with the patient will be needed to explain and interpret for both sides. Some parents find that presenting information in a visual way is preferable to verbally delivered material. As the child will resist the unpredictable (e.g. a light shined in their eyes), informing the patient clearly of each forthcoming stage may help prevent distress. If certain procedures are seen as essential, inform the carers as soon as possible. That way the carers can start introducing the idea of going for an x-ray etc., in advance, so once again the shock is minimised. It should be recognised that the individual may have difficulty in grasping the point of instructions as they may be unable to anticipate or understand events or sensations of which they have had no actual experience.

People with ASD may have an unusual response to pain, it is not uncommon for serious conditions to go unnoticed as the person with autism has given no indication of being in pain. Some individuals on the spectrum may have unusually high pain thresholds, but then conversely, they may be extra sensitive to certain sensations (e.g. finding certain fabrics unbearable next to the skin, or particular noise frequencies uncomfortable).

People with ASD have difficulty with abstract concepts, they may not for instance, be able to weigh the long term benefits of treatment up against the short-term disincentives of pain or discomfort. As the individual with ASD has little or no interest in or understanding of feelings of other people, it is quite inappropriate to think in terms of reward or punishment motivating their actions. This could mean that conventional reasoning and apparently logical arguments as presented by a doctor, may have little or no effect on the ASD patient. This matter is further complicated by obsessive and ritualistic behaviours. The ASD patient may have a series of routines and rituals that are deeply entrenched in their everyday life, and a disruption of these stereotyped patterns (such as a stay in hospital, or a change in lifestyle) can lead to high levels of distress. This all pervasive aspect of ASD should always be considered when change - however minor- is being suggested. It would be helpful for the staff involved to be aware of the patient’s obsessions and routines, so there is as little interference as possible.

People with ASD lack a sense of danger so that in strange surroundings they are particularly vulnerable and constant supervision and vigilance is required. With this in mind, it may be particularly helpful if arrangements can be made for the principal carer to remain with the patient, especially at the beginning of the stay. This will help to help settle and reassure the patient, as well as providing them with an 'interpreter' where necessary.

Waiting times in busy hospital corridors will increase the stress levels, of an already anxious child or adult. Where ever possible, arrangements should be made previously to avoid this situation. This may involve the patient being slotted into the first or last appointment of the day, to decrease the likelihood of having to wait around. Providing the family with a small side room would be appreciated. If this provision is not available, the parents or carers accompanying the patient, may wish to wait outside in the car, or keep the child calm and settled by walking around quieter corridors, gardens or even the car park. Therefore, a request may be made for a member of staff to fetch the patient and carers, when the health professional is ready to see them. Likewise, if the professional is running late, the party may wish to leave the building completely, and return at a later agreed time. It is in everyone’s best interests to keep the patient as calm as possible, so the consultation, and any treatment needed, can be given as quickly and effectively as possible.

For more routine health visits – to the opticians, dentist, GP surgery, time spent in an informal trip before actual treatment is necessary, will be a good investment. If the child can enjoy a positive visit to a health professional initially, when there is real cause for the child to attend, things should run more smoothly. If the professional involved agrees, the patient could have an opportunity to see the room, sit in the chair, have a look at the different instruments etc. If brothers and sisters need treatment, they could be used as role models, their sibling could watch proceedings, and so subsequent appointments will not be such a shock. Parents may wish to build in positive consequences following an appointment, so the child will learn that afterwards they will do something they enjoy and can look forward to. Different children will need different incentives. Some parents find that taking comforting toys or other belongings along can be an importance source of reassurance. Perhaps a teddy or doll could also have a quick eye check, temperature taken etc., to encourage the child to follow suit.

Due to the rigid nature of ASD, a flexible and sympathetic approach is essential.

The carer of the patient may wish to speak to staff members before the actual visit. They will then have the chance to pass on specific information relating to that individuals needs and requirements. With this greater understanding from staff, the actual visit should be less of a hit-and-miss affair. Parents and prinicpal carers are usually adept judges of the needs and reactions of their children, and their knowledge should be used whenever relevant. I am enclosing some information about autism and Asperger Syndrome. Do please contact the NAS, if there is anything we can add that would be of help.

Yours sincerely

Autism Helpline

In other words a load of rubbish i have nothing mentioned in that and the text in bold i had a chuckle at :roll:

Last edited by Lateralus on 11 Oct 2007, 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Khalaris
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Oct 2007, 7:35 am

Doen't really seem to fit AS, does it? :roll: ;)

LadyMacbeth
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the girls toilets at Hogwarts, washing the blood off my hands.

11 Oct 2007, 7:42 am

No, but it fits an ASD. (Autistic Spectrum Disorder)

Biiiig spectrum out there.

Khalaris
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Oct 2007, 7:48 am

Yeah, this happens when people try to generalize. Some things fit, some sound strange and some are just plain wrong.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2007, 8:05 am

LadyMacbeth wrote:
No, but it fits an ASD. (Autistic Spectrum Disorder)

Biiiig spectrum out there.

seconded.

Lateralus,
am have seen some NAS' information leaflets [the paper ones] and they all say they will only refer to ASDs unless they have sections for specifics with each type.
what they have said there,does fit AS as well-but it is not going to suit every aspie because not all are at the same level, they are purposely trying to advise for the most affecting problems including in AS,and suit the whole spectrum at the same time.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2007, 8:23 am

It's describing me; I've got autistic disorder though (rather than AS). I'm around the middle of the spectrum my psychiatrist told me.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 Oct 2007, 10:39 am

Fits me too, in most respects. Weird to have "me" described like that.
The bit about long term benefits weighing little or less than is "rational" against short term discomfort is so acccurate ; in how it has impacted my ability to hold down employment, stick to a course, stick to anything ( except motherhood , where I've only stayed because I was too scared of the taboos around it to run away as I wanted to, and my actually quite clear headed request to have "it" adopted a few days after birth was countermanded by the father, he simply didn't take me seriously. To him such a demand was just me exaggerating . Whereas I knew as soon as "it" was born, even tho I still knew nothing about ASD , that it would be a terrible thing for me , and not great for baby!).
But yes, this is huge handicap to me. Have they def established a link betwen this and ASD ? Is it really a frequent and measurable part of the ASDs? Or are they just throwing all "dysfunctional" unexplained "anti-social" behaviours into the ASD bucket?

krex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2007, 12:23 pm

The majority of it did fit me and I thought it was very helpful,would even consider copy of it for my GP.I actually dont appriciate your assumption that it is laughable,as I dont consider myself as laughable.Perhaps we are on different places in the spectrum but I think your assumptions...it doesnt describe me therefor it is false about people with AS,is pretty nieve and uninformed.Perhaps you should educate yourself a bit more about other peoples experience of AS?

I do agree that the comments should be stated as ....Some or many people with AS,(based on current research)and not stated as a declaritive of all people with AS.Would that make you feel better?

From your own experience....do you think they left anything out that would better describe your own needs in medical appointments?

I personally would like the to mention that I find any contact with "strangers" as stressful and would like to have longer appoinments because feeling rushed,makes me more forgetful(do to stress).I think a longer,more comprehensive appointment would be better then a bunch of small ones.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

DeniseLosar
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Oct 2007, 12:49 pm

Nice to know that it provided some amusement.
Ive been told i have AS and am on the mild end of the spectrum with other underlying 'disorders'.
Whatevar that means :?