Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

loske
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Oct 2007, 7:53 pm

I've always had trouble relating to my body, mostly feeling like I only have a head. For as long as I can remember when I feel anything in my body- nausea, pain, full from eating, puffed out, etc- I feel overwhelmed and go straight into meltdown. Does anyone else feel like this?

martin_nyc
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Oct 2007, 8:01 pm

I'm guessing it's less of a "head vs. body" then "mental vs. physical." It sounds like your meltdowns are caused by some sort of sensory issues regarding your nervous system, sort of an internal version of what I experience when a motorcycle drives by with loud pipes. I don't see much difference between this and people that are hypersensitive to touch...it's the same nerves doing the work. I'd see an MD if this is a consistent thing, it sounds to me like you might need something to take the edge off. /m

philski
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Oct 2007, 8:34 pm

As a teenager I had a real hard time connecting to my body. I would look in the mirror and see a stranger looking back. It was a stranger I usually felt disgusted with given my 'sticking out like a sore thumb' in the social arena along with the undiagnosed Aspie and ADD symptoms running rampant.

To make a better connection I got into jogging as a teenager. The endorphines helped me feel better and the use of my body in physical movement helped with the body/mind connection. I remember a few times early in my running carreer (still running in my late 40's) I was running down the street thinking and feeling like I was a monkey. It's funny now but at the time quite frightening.

Not sure what a melt down is for you. For me, I was in a constant state of anxiety, fear, and confusion with intermittant moments of deep depression. That state was the norm for me. Melt down was probably my suicide attempt at 21 when I just gave up. Regardless of what your 'melt down' is, know that there are others to support you with a certain measure of compassion and understanding.

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

10 Oct 2007, 8:54 pm

loske wrote:
I've always had trouble relating to my body, mostly feeling like I only have a head. For as long as I can remember when I feel anything in my body- nausea, pain, full from eating, puffed out, etc- I feel overwhelmed and go straight into meltdown. Does anyone else feel like this?

Whenever I experience any uncomfortable bodily symptom, like those you describe above, I tend to obsess over the discomfort which then escalates it into something worse, or the possibility of some life threatening condition which then often leads to anxiety and panic (meltdown?) and depression. In the panic state, I feel that I might need emergency medical treatment and this creates a lot of havoc in my personal life and with family members. I have no advice, I just live with it and try to control my mind.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 Oct 2007, 4:04 am

I think i get that. To the point that often I just wish I could carry on not eating in a day because I feel so much clearer and calmer.
I have discovered that I have a serious intolerance to gluten( in wheat, rye,oats )which makes the ASD worse. Noises and illogicalities freak me out more , and black and white thinking running riot!!, but I don't think it is all of it. About the sensory overload idea; that sounds possible. I wonder whether it might be connected to way too fast and early weaning in infancy?!? Being spoon fed heaps of stuff that don't want , don't have time to get used to etc.
As baby must be overwhelming the first experiences of solid food. Totally diff to liquids.
And it could be like a sensory overload. Could set ip up for life ?
Either way ,I get those wreck moments if eat too much or even a little sometimes. Like invaded, or out of control/taken over, and spaced out rather, or under attack or suddenly massively angry and tearful just after eating. It depends on the context. But it's totally horrible. I manage to avoid them mostly by excluding wheat , or at least being prepared for it. Eating "carefully"! !! !

fresco
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2007, 6:17 am

I know exactly what you mean I have a constant internal microscope monitoring my bodily feelings! Its just really irritating and causes anxiety.

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2007, 8:09 am

loske wrote:

Yeah.

One thing that helps without fail is nature because it resets the body and mind connection. It grounds you. Trees, smelling a flower, looking at the sun set, rise, climbing a mountain - petting an animal - are all soothing to the system like nothing else.

loske

12 Oct 2007, 7:40 am

I agree so strongly with the nature thing. I was really sick for a few months and my mind was completely shattered constantly- the only thing that could calm me down at all was lying in the sun and looking at grass or leaves.