That girl from America's next top model.

Page 11 of 41 [ 650 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 41  Next

AspieMartian
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Oct 2007, 8:09 pm

gwenevyn wrote:
ChatBrat wrote:
jread wrote:
I've been watching all season and I'm still not sure if I believe that she's an Aspie. She's definitely awkward and geeky, but she is also does a lot of NT things. I've also noticed that everytime someone leaves the show she's the first one to start crying.... she's way more emotional than the others.

I'm the opposite. I feel that it's obvious that she has AS.

Yeah, I haven't known people on the spectrum to be less emotional than people off the spectrum. They're just poorer at naming and controlling those emotions in a socially acceptable manner.

Agreed, about the emotionality stuff - I haven't seen this season of ANTM so I don't know what her deal is. But speaking for myself and for the Aspies I personally know, having AS means we experience emotions with a unique intensity andwe lack teh skills to articulate, understand and mange these emotions as effectively. I mean, how could we be less emotional than NTs, yet we're the ones having meltdowns???

I do cry, and hell I would cry if I was on that show - being stuck in a house with so many nasty, competitive girls and having people be critical of me all day long and the lack of control over my routine and environment. I'd be crying five minutes after I got there!

Wrackspurt
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2007, 10:59 pm

Heather has been doing so well in all areas of the show, getting along with the other girls, the pictures themselves, winning competitions & handles herself well in front of the judges. Who would have thought this at the beginning of the season? I thought the other girls were going to make it really hard for her, she's been giving them something to keep up with. Its funny to be proud of someone you don't even know. She has a real shot at winning this cycle.

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

27 Oct 2007, 11:44 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
beansidhe wrote:
And her competition photo was fierce. She gave 'em head-on, like they wanted.

she was confiding to one of the photographers that she was worried about not being able to give a full front pose and the photog said "then just look at the camera." I swear she went "oh!"like it was all so simple. It reminded me of ME so much.

Ha! Totally.

I'm very impressed with her. I hope she'll surface here when the show's over... though I suppose if I were her, I might not want to admit who I was, on the internet.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2007, 2:19 am

AspieMartian wrote:
I'd be crying five minutes after I got there!

This reminded me of a girl who got into a reality show years ago (like american idol+big brother) here in my country, she's friend of my family. Well, she cried the whole first show, and got out before it even finished!

ForFlorence
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Oct 2007, 3:05 pm

Has anyone else noticed that the music changes when she enters the scene?

alex
Developer
Developer

28 Oct 2007, 3:06 pm

gwenevyn wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:
beansidhe wrote:

she was confiding to one of the photographers that she was worried about not being able to give a full front pose and the photog said "then just look at the camera." I swear she went "oh!"like it was all so simple. It reminded me of ME so much.

Ha! Totally.

I'm very impressed with her. I hope she'll surface here when the show's over... though I suppose if I were her, I might not want to admit who I was, on the internet.

you wouldn't be proud of it?

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2007, 3:32 pm

Quatermass wrote:
I wonder if she actually has an account on WP anyway?

Time to find out.

Doesn't seem so, but who knows?
It would be a good thing if she would be a member here.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2007, 3:37 pm

alex wrote:
gwenevyn wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:
beansidhe wrote:

Ha! Totally.

Proud is not the issue, I would think privacy would be. Who wants to become the apologist for anyone who wanted to take a pot shot at someone 'famous' or 'espousing different values than they do' to just friendly people not meaning to bother her but simply too many contacting her for her time online.

Merle

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

28 Oct 2007, 4:14 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
alex wrote:
gwenevyn wrote:

Proud is not the issue, I would think privacy would be. Who wants to become the apologist for anyone who wanted to take a pot shot at someone 'famous' or 'espousing different values than they do' to just friendly people not meaning to bother her but simply too many contacting her for her time online.

Merle

Yes. All I meant is that if I were her, I'd be really concerned that if I revealed my identity, I'd be treated like a celebrity instead of getting to contribute in the same way that the other members can.

HannahJoyCapps
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Oct 2007, 5:05 pm

Bigger Image:

HannahJoyCapps

28 Oct 2007, 5:21 pm

CrabbyMomma
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Oct 2007, 7:35 pm

"How wonderful to point to someone to say "you know, like Heather" than "well, not exactly like Rain-Man"."

My DS is loving the fact that Heather is on that show and an Aspie for exactly the same reason. He is so sick of the geeky steriotype of Asperger's. You can be an Aspie, dress nicely, and be attractive. Yet everything you read paints such a geek boy image. Not that that's a bad thing, but that is not the definition of Aspergers. Aspies come in all shapes and sizes, just like the rest of the world. NT's seem to forget that. Heather is a great reminder. Plus the idea that she is doing something you totally would not associate with her diagnosis he thinks is great.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2007, 11:34 pm

CrabbyMomma wrote:
"How wonderful to point to someone to say "you know, like Heather" than "well, not exactly like Rain-Man"."

My DS is loving the fact that Heather is on that show and an Aspie for exactly the same reason. He is so sick of the geeky steriotype of Asperger's. You can be an Aspie, dress nicely, and be attractive. Yet everything you read paints such a geek boy image. Not that that's a bad thing, but that is not the definition of Aspergers. Aspies come in all shapes and sizes, just like the rest of the world. NT's seem to forget that. Heather is a great reminder. Plus the idea that she is doing something you totally would not associate with her diagnosis he thinks is great.

and think of how she KNOWS she is AS makes it possible for her to adjust herself to the world she finds herself in. That part is what encourages me ,a Dino Aspie, to learn. I was not a 'nerdy' Aspie either, at times I was a glam diva that rocked the house, back in the day . . guess I will have to turn that inside out again.

Merle

PheeNixy
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Oct 2007, 3:04 pm

As an Aspie model, I really look up to her. I've always wanted to go on ANTM (I just need to lose 10-15 pounds first). To see someone like me on there is really inspiring and gives me even more hope for the future.

alex
Developer
Developer

29 Oct 2007, 6:31 pm

gwenevyn wrote:
I'd be treated like a celebrity instead of getting to contribute in the same way that the other members can.

Oh I know that feeling.

By the way, Heather does know about WrongPlanet.

ChatBrat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2007, 2:57 am

Did you draw that???? That is absolutely amazing!! !

out of control, & at times
hard to handle.
But if you can't handle
me at my worst,
then you sure as hell
don't deserve me
at my best.
-Marilyn Monroe