Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 10:18 pm

Do you think it's possible for someone to deliberately stage a meltdown to avoid being accountable for one's behavior, manipulate others; or use a meltdown as a means of self-defense to "freak someone out" if that person thinks someone is endangering them physically? Yes I'm sure this subject will hit a raw nerve with some of the posters here; But I wonder how many NTs have thought this way.

GypsysOdyssey
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Oct 2007, 10:22 pm

Alot of NTs don't understand just what a meltdown is and tend to view it as a "temper tantrum" no matter how old you are or how much stress/pressure you were under. This caused alot of problems for me at school, even to the point of the teachers telling my parents I was a brat and didn't want to behave.

I don't think I could fake a meltdown if I tried. It's not just a "tantrum", it's also a feeling inside of me that is so frightening and distressing that I wouldn't want to experince it ever again if I could help it!

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 10:23 pm

All people are capable of staging meltdowns and tantrums, "sick headaches", fevers, vomitting, all sorts of maladies.

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 10:28 pm

Usually they are all crocodile tears when they are staged

Last edited by paulsinnerchild on 10 Oct 2007, 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 10:29 pm

I've done 'staged meltdowns' before. But in the end, they end up turning into real meltdowns that I have absolutely no control over like I previously had.

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 10:52 pm

GypsysOdyssey wrote:
Alot of NTs don't understand just what a meltdown is and tend to view it as a "temper tantrum" no matter how old you are or how much stress/pressure you were under. This caused alot of problems for me at school, even to the point of the teachers telling my parents I was a brat and didn't want to behave.

I don't think I could fake a meltdown if I tried. It's not just a "tantrum", it's also a feeling inside of me that is so frightening and distressing that I wouldn't want to experince it ever again if I could help it!

So a meltdown from your experience would be like a severe bout of anxiety?

Spaceplayer
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Oct 2007, 10:52 pm

Consider the case of Carl Jung:
"Carl was a lonely child whose life was filled with fear and anxiety stemming from his family problems and from the fact that his fellow students would have nothing to do with him. To avoid school, Jung began to have fainting spells, ostensibly the result of a serious fall; he passed out each time he was returned to school. When he overheard his father speculating on the future of a boy unable to earn his own living, the shock immediately ended the "spells," and he suddenly became a superior student. "That was when I learned what a neurosis is."

i_Am_andaJoy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 Oct 2007, 4:00 am

Silver_Meteor wrote:
Do you think it's possible for someone to deliberately stage a meltdown to avoid being accountable for one's behavior, manipulate others; or use a meltdown as a means of self-defense to "freak someone out" if that person thinks someone is endangering them physically? Yes I'm sure this subject will hit a raw nerve with some of the posters here; But I wonder how many NTs have thought this way.

hmmm. well, i consider a meltdown to be pretty undesireable, so i do not see the point in trying... but yes, i could FORCE a meltdown if i chose to, just by dropping my mental guards and letting the force of reality come crashing in... but, meltdowns happen often enough when i am happy and trying to avoid them, so i don't really think i need to encourage them along! :)

ok.... EDIT! i want to recant... i have thought about it more and i changed my mind. NO, i don't think i can.

Last edited by i_Am_andaJoy on 11 Oct 2007, 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2007, 4:57 am

I cannot do such for my personality has inhibitions and blocks to prevent me from doing things; I go "catatonic", fight and/or flight depending on the situation that caused it.

I suppose I could throw myself into a situation that'd cause one, but that's silly (I still do it however in the name of "therapy", which doesn't seem to help at all, but whatever).

shopaholic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2007, 5:05 am

No; it is something that just "takes me over"; but once I am actually in one, I can sometimes manipulate it enough to turn rage into tears so as to get them to feel more sorry for me.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2007, 6:27 am

Silver_Meteor wrote:

it is not a meltdown if it was deliberate and controlled,that would be a tantrum.
tantrums [not exclusive to children] are controlled and usually used to manipulate something.

meltdown is a word that is used far too much,as many people even use it for what is actually regular human traits and behaviors.
it is a complete loss of control,it is an inner agony that is exploding out,it is also fuelled by adrenaline.