Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

huntedman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Aug 2010, 2:49 pm

I just had to brag to some people that I thought might understand, I did something yesterday that I have never been successful at before.

I touched someone to try and comfort them.

It may not sound like much, but I have only ever done this a couple of times and this is the only one that I would rank as remotely successful. Touch is a really hard concept, not wanting to be consoled myself its hard to imagine how, when and why other people need this.

Not being able to do this for a close friend when she was crying, was something I have always regretted and I want to think that if I was in that situation again maybe I could do better.

So I wanted to ask if anyone had a small victory that they wanted to brag about. Anything from being outside for longer than you normally could, having a successful conversation with someone, successful eye contact, getting through a job interview.

I think the forum needs more discussion of things that have actually worked out. AS will never get better, but I have to believe that with work my situation will.

Assembly
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Aug 2010, 3:04 pm

Quote:
I touched someone to try and comfort them.

Sheldon Coopers "there.. there" comes to mind:P Congratulations though, I don't think I've ever done that to someone (atleast not without it being awkaward).

Well, I'm proud of myself for moving out and becoming independent - not a small thing, but yet a victory. Also I talked on the phone for 40 minutes yesterday (new record!) and I felt like we connected (pun intended) and had a meaningfull conversation.

jagatai
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 3:40 pm

Congratulations on being able to console a person. I've never been good at that.

Last week I attended a seminar for work and while I didn't deal well with the crowds of people, I ended up running into two former clients who both seemed glad to see me. One happened to sit down next to me and, recognizing me, we talked about each of our future plans. The other, I saw from a distance and I specifically went over to say hello. Usually I would have kept quiet and hoped to be noticed. We talked for a bit and exchanged contact information.

And last night I went to visit some friends who had planned to play various word games as the evening's entertainment. Not something I get a big kick out of, but I went anyway. I enjoyed their company and no one was injured in the process.

huntedman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Aug 2010, 4:04 pm

Assembly wrote:
Sheldon Coopers "there.. there" comes to mind

LOL :lol:, that's not that far off, but when the goal is better than nothing, you would be surprised what works.

Congratulations on moving out! Definitely a major victory.

Assembly
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Aug 2010, 4:26 pm

Thx :) We really need more threads like this on this forum, though I feel the need to went my frustration sometimes, it's great to focus on the positive aspects of life and accomplishments - even small ones. I would consider consoling someone a great accomplishment (armstrong analogy anyone?), it's certainly something I would be proud of myself regardless of the outcome.

Blasty
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 7:58 pm

My recent, small personal victories have consisted of outdoing people's expectations of me at work (a contract PCB assembler). Little things like keeping up with someone else who nobody has ever kept up with before, completing two orders in a day instead of one, etc.

These things have, however, secured me a few weeks more than I was expecting to get this summer.

No big Asperger's related things lately, other than managing to keep sane from day to day. :D

Last edited by Blasty on 08 Aug 2010, 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 11:23 pm

This should be a sticky.

Anyway, mine is leaving the house to go to classes even if I still won´t go alone or say a word to anyone.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 12:30 am

My record for type tutor has bumped 3wpm up to 62wpm! Whoo, I know how to live.

turkey87953
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Aug 2010, 1:30 am

I spoke more then 4 words face to face. quite a big victory for me. although it may seem small and pathetic to other people

Blasty
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 1:32 am

^ Any successful step outside your comfortable box is a victory. :D

pandorazmtbox
Toucan
Toucan

08 Aug 2010, 1:51 am

Congrats!

This thread is a great idea.

Let's see, I can tolerate crowds by wearing earplugs. Oh, and I went to a party at a bar in Hollywood alone. Didn't talk to anyone, but I went and stayed the whole two hours of my parking time.

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 7:04 am

I'm learning PHP and it's really easy. When I took programming in college, it seemed elusive at the time but now it's all really clear. Weird. :)

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 10:40 pm

Lets see, my drill sargeants helped me walk straighter and with less bounce. After that people stopped laughing at the way I walk. :D I developed a little more self confidence. I still stagger but not as bad as I did when I was a kid.

The year 2000-2009 was the first time a made myself an important part of a job saving the machine shop tons of money and the other employees time that they were able to maintain their machines or get set up for the next job a day or two quicker. For once in my life I felt like an important part of a team. :D

I can finally admit there is something wrong with me without being embarressed. :D