Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

duncansbass
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Location: Flatting thirds, fifths, and sevenths for over 20 years

07 Dec 2007, 2:24 am

I feel a little stupid posting this, because this was covered nearly to a 'T' in a post by JasonWilkes
re legitimate diagnosis, but here goes.
I just got my officially unofficial diagnosis, as the doctor told me I fit the "Asperger's" profile, but don't want therapy, and refuse medications, so no official diagnosis would be forthcoming.

I mentioned that there was impairment. As 2ukenkerl mentioned he had done on that thread, I have organized my life around my impairment(s). I was asked if I wanted to pursue any therapy, and I had already decided that undoing my organization would be too upsetting, so refused.

So where does this leave me? I have an answer that makes my life in retrospect make some sense, and now my ex will listen and get my son tested. As for me, I will keep being like I am. I am learning a lot from this site and from all of you out there, and it helps me greatly.

Thank you all very much.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2007, 6:55 am

I used to think that the psychiatrist determined impairment on some standard. Maybe the determine it based on your own comfort. The lack of your official diagnosis would then make sense. They don't feel you're impairment is clinically significant because you aren't seeking actual help!

The ironic thing, that makes it a catch22, is that help is not sought because we are so certain none will be ever found.

SleepyDragon
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2007, 7:17 am

"Officially unofficial." :)

The important thing, I guess, is that knowing you fit the profile will assist you in fine-tuning those adjustments and coping strategies. Strategies which you, to your credit, have come up with yourself.

Good for you, and best of luck with your son.

duncansbass
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Dec 2007, 9:56 am

SleepyDragon wrote:
"Officially unofficial." :)

The important thing, I guess, is that knowing you fit the profile will assist you in fine-tuning those adjustments and coping strategies. Strategies which you, to your credit, have come up with yourself.

Good for you, and best of luck with your son.

Thank you very much. That means a lot to me.

duncansbass
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Dec 2007, 9:57 am

2ukenkerl wrote:
I used to think that the psychiatrist determined impairment on some standard. Maybe the determine it based on your own comfort. The lack of your official diagnosis would then make sense. They don't feel you're impairment is clinically significant because you aren't seeking actual help!

The ironic thing, that makes it a catch22, is that help is not sought because we are so certain none will be ever found.

I agree. You can teach me to parrot certain behaviors, but never to actually feel what it behind them.

Grimfaire
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Dec 2007, 12:14 pm

Completely off-topic.... but I love your icon... it gave me a good chuckle.

Thank you. :)

duncansbass
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Dec 2007, 12:35 pm

Grimfaire wrote:
Completely off-topic.... but I love your icon... it gave me a good chuckle.

Thank you. :)

:lol:
Thank you, grimfaire

giaam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Dec 2007, 4:18 pm

The fact that you know you fit the criteria can itself be a relief, you know why you are the way you are; you dont necessarily need therapy or medical interventions, but you still have the condition, it does not make your diagnosis any less valid :D