Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Zarathustra
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2007, 5:33 pm

AutismPRIDE day UK 2008, June 18... Any UK WP people want to start arranging something? I was thinking about something a bit more ambitious than sitting in a park in the rain...

Last edited by Zarathustra on 23 Oct 2007, 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Basshead
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2007, 5:50 pm

What's your idea?

Adrie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Oct 2007, 6:05 pm

Too bad I won't be in the UK during the summer...But I'd love to do something. What have you done in the past?

Is there Autism Awareness Day in the US? (Not to distract from the point of this thread :? ) :)

Zarathustra
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2007, 6:29 pm

Getting some famous aspies to give talks, performances. Get some academics to give lectures. Get tv, radio & newspapers down. Have a big party...There is a AP day in the US. Haven't done anything for AP day before...

Basshead
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2007, 6:31 pm

I've got an idea.
Aspies show off their aspie abilities as much as possible on AAD

Zarathustra
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2007, 6:34 pm

YEP! Musicians, Artists, Gotta have a mad scientist too -

crackedpleasures
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2007, 6:56 pm

The event is worldwide so you don't need to be in the UK to be involved. I plan to parade and be involved in some way depending on the activities organised in the country I'll be then. Hard to say now because by then I will probably have moved again once or twice...

(excerpt from The Book of the Law - Aleister Crowley)

"Od lo avda tikvateinu" (excerpt from the Israeli hymn)

Zarathustra
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2007, 7:02 pm

Wish I could say I dont know what country I'll be in...

crackedpleasures
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2007, 7:06 pm

The last 3,5 years I have lived in 4 different countries and next week I move again... Probably again before next summer. That's travelling for you: you don't know where you'll be in a year time, sometimes not even in a month's time. But I don't complain, I do it by choice. I'd hate a permanent home really, life in one same place seems to pointless to me.

(excerpt from The Book of the Law - Aleister Crowley)

"Od lo avda tikvateinu" (excerpt from the Israeli hymn)

AC
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Oct 2007, 8:24 pm

The idea of an autism pride day is charming, but I don't see it as a parade. The moment we gather in a group & start marching we'd be doing something very not us.

Every event I've ever attended with a lot of people has left me with a kind of human exposure hangover the next day. I don't do that anymore.

Maybe we should all plan to sit alone on a park bench at the same moment (some would be in the rain, some not) and meditate about it. How about that?

I don't deny though that something needs to be done to draw the media's attention to the fact that there are a whole lot of autistic people who are very functional in their own way - get them away from this obsession with autism as a disease, the 'war on autism', etc. Show them it's something to be proud of.

AC

Zarathustra
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2007, 7:16 am

You make some good points. I suppose there needs to be a wide range of options for people to get involved in whatever way they feel comfortable. Will be talking to a couple of UK AS organizations later today. Will post update this evening.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2007, 7:46 am

There's no pride in my autistic stride. It doesn't make me special, unique and intelligible, the words I learnt in speech therapy made the pride of this hide. I've got no abilities that are special other than knowing it took me two years to spell "park" 'cause I lack that verbal spark. I sit 'round and flap my hand but it doesn't get me up there in the air, it only draws a stare. Ha, a big party sounds fine, I hope you got plenty of wine, it'll make a good fire as I burn the building down as you all dine (the meltdown did it).

Adrie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Oct 2007, 9:15 am

AC wrote:
Maybe we should all plan to sit alone on a park bench at the same moment (some would be in the rain, some not) and meditate about it. How about that?

Are you serious? I think that would be a nice idea, not necessarily for Autism Awareness Day (it would only raise our awareness, lol) but just for fun, to feel connected...

Anyway, yeah, I really want to get involved somehow this year. Is there any kind of publication we could put out? Nothing major, but just a paper we could put up on any community bulletin boards, online, even in mailboxes? Something standard that we put out before the Day, so people know it's coming up and understand what autism is a little better? I have no idea if that would be feasible or worthwhile or not...

Zarathustra
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2007, 12:49 pm

Yes, it worthwhile! Think we got to get "Danielsmyname" to do some performance poetry/fireraising. Haven't heard back from other orgs yet. Will post soon as...

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Oct 2007, 2:29 pm

Danielismyname wrote:
There's no pride in my autistic stride. It doesn't make me special, unique and intelligible, the words I learnt in speech therapy made the pride of this hide. I've got no abilities that are special other than knowing it took me two years to spell "park" 'cause I lack that verbal spark. I sit 'round and flap my hand but it doesn't get me up there in the air, it only draws a stare. Ha, a big party sounds fine, I hope you got plenty of wine, it'll make a good fire as I burn the building down as you all dine (the meltdown did it).

Where did you get that ? That is so good ! Wow. Me too I wanted to say what's to be proud of except getting by , but that is great!!

Zarathustra
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2007, 2:43 pm

Was pretty cool wasn't it...