Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

petal
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Oct 2007, 1:21 am

Okay. Well i need your opinion on whether i should seek a psychologist to get a diagnosis. I am not entirely sure that i have asperger's, but it makes sense if i do.
the deiiference is that I do have friends, and am in a large group. It was extremely difficult for me on my first day of high school, as i knew absolutely no-one. the story is a bit detailed so i wont say much, but in general we all had to find a chair in the hall, and there werent many left, so i asked someone if i could sit next to them (its not as easy as it sounds). then they asked me to sit in their group after that, so i did. I changed groups later in the year because the people i was with were bitchy, slu*ty and extremely unintelligent. also someone from my class asked me to sit with them. the problem is i don't enjoy having friends. i like being alone and thinking. if i had a choice, i would choose to be alone.

also the last time i had to see a psychologist i was unusually confident. i thought they would be analyzing me just the wasy i do everyone else, so we would be on common ground. this may sound stupid but i also act differently sometimes to make people believe im something im not. sometimes i cant but this time i could. there was no social cues, no smalltalk, just questioning-- and i understand that.

also im 16 and my dad doesnt care and my mum thinks im just stuckup, rude, ignorant and obsessive. like theres nothing wrong with me. she doesnt know everything she does just makes it worse. she doesnt understand why i dont enjoy speaking with her, yet she doesn't care about the reason for that.
i fit the description in every other way

opinions would be appreciated, thanks

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

27 Oct 2007, 9:36 am

do like the swoosh. just do it

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Oct 2007, 10:57 am

In getting a diagnosis, it's important to ask yourself why. For me, it was having a name for myself and not just being the weird kid all of the time. It's important as humans for us to know where we belong and part of seeking the AS diagnosis can be because we don't seem to fit anywhere else. That's the last thing that makes sense.
I just recently got my son diagnosed and he will be 16 in January. It has made a world of difference for him. He tells me that he knew all along, but he's glad it's official.
I think there's a lot of value in knowing what causes the hiccups in our personalities. I say go for it. Make sure you find a good doctor to do it, though. You don't want to end up with the wrong diagnosis because of some quack that's never seen Asperger's. There are still doctor's out there that say it doesn't exist.
Good luck.

caramateo
Toucan
Toucan

27 Oct 2007, 11:23 am

Do it. it's better to do it early, you could regret it later in life.

pbcoll
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2007, 11:27 am

i decided not to seek a diagnosis because of discrimination in employment and insurance, in my case there is no support or anything specific to AS that i would qualify for.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2007, 11:54 am

Petal,
most pyschs are going to require input from parents about own developmental history and so on,so before deciding on whether to go to pysch or not,work on parents first.
Perhaps get a book about aspergers [the tony attwood one gets a lot of good reviews on here],leave it lying around for parents to read,and see what they think.

Goche21
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Oct 2007, 2:12 pm

If you're in good relations with people and happy, then why let it bother you? Just be happy with who you are and live life without a silly label.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2007, 2:22 pm

Go, and ignore your parents about their one-sided opinions. A diagnosis can stop the confusion.

petal
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Oct 2007, 11:39 pm

thanks everyone for your replies. i have decided to see someone, but i was just wandering how to go about it. i mean im not just going to go and blurt out "hey i'm pretty sure i have aspergers syndrome and want to see someone about it", because i can't. any ideas would help, thanks

petal
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Oct 2007, 11:50 pm

Goche21 wrote:
If you're in good relations with people and happy, then why let it bother you? Just be happy with who you are and live life without a silly label.

thats the thing, im not happy. I may sit with them, eat with them, and talk with them,, but it doesn'take me feel any more like one of them. sometimes i just cant stand being around them. everyone seems so artificial and materialistic. I cant talk about anything i am even remotely interested in, as 1, they have no idea of what im talking about, and 2, even if they did they wouldn't care. im putting the fact that i actually have friends down to pure luck.
well im not that great at explaining what i think, but i hope that made sense.

Goche21
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Oct 2007, 5:13 am

petal wrote:
Goche21 wrote:

thats the thing, im not happy. I may sit with them, eat with them, and talk with them,, but it doesn'take me feel any more like one of them. sometimes i just cant stand being around them. everyone seems so artificial and materialistic. I cant talk about anything i am even remotely interested in, as 1, they have no idea of what im talking about, and 2, even if they did they wouldn't care. im putting the fact that i actually have friends down to pure luck.
well im not that great at explaining what i think, but i hope that made sense.

Then may I ask what you want to accomplish? That's something I've never understood about people, everyone wants to know why, so instead of seaking a resolution they seek an explanation. Maybe you'll feel better around aspies, give this sight a try and make friends. Be yourself above all. Alright, so maybe people may be put off by the real you, whoever it may be, but people are happiest when they don't have to hide behind a facade of being 'normal'.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2007, 7:10 am

petal wrote:
thanks everyone for your replies. i have decided to see someone, but i was just wandering how to go about it. i mean im not just going to go and blurt out "hey i'm pretty sure i have aspergers syndrome and want to see someone about it", because i can't. any ideas would help, thanks

Just say that you are worried about they way that you act/speak/think/write whatever. Just say that you feel very different to your peers.