Tell tales of when people insulted your intelligence!

Page 1 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2007, 9:35 pm

Once, almost 4 years after I was diagnosed, and with her never shutting up about my AS, my mother told me that my AS was due to my brain being wired differently. No s**t! Then she said that she was telling me this so that I'd understand. Maybe she thought I'd been tuning her out all those years. I hope she thought that. :D

Another time my mother told me, not once, but two or three times, to make sure I was listening, after we left an Army surplus store, that that stuff in it was from the army. :?

And she said both these things in this authoritarian tone, as though she always knew but wanted me to know... which is why I'm pretty sure she thought I was WOEFULLY ignorant!

username88
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2007, 10:25 pm

:o I feel happy for you.

Le_Samourai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Aug 2007, 10:40 pm

I used to work in a TV station, and during the news I misheard the director and turned left instead of right what I should've done. So after break, I was told that I had to do camera drills. Ok, I have no problem with that, but almost all of my coworkers were out there with me to explain to me that "When you pan the camera left, you turn the camera" and " When your told to truck the camera left, you move the whole camera left.", and thus wasting about 5 minutes telling me these things because they felt that since I misheard the director, that meant to them that I'm not able to tell my right from my left. :roll:

Needless to say, I'm happy that I don't work there anymore.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

28 Aug 2007, 10:50 pm

liked calico is insulting my intellegiance because i said her pp was fake. you win some and you lose some i guess, :o

i'd get you dressed in the morning :P

psych
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2007, 11:55 pm

I dont know where to start, suffice to say it IS difficult being right all the time!

(well, most of the time...)

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2007, 11:58 pm

I've been asked if I was 'simple'. :oops:

I responded by saying that genius is simple, it's stupidity that's complicated. Still it was pretty galling. One of the many negative statements that made sense when I finally got dx'ed. Do THEY ever say anything positive?

dongiovanni
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Aug 2007, 12:02 am

A vocal performance major tried to subject me to lessons for his vocal pedagogy class. He was exceeding arrogant and insulted me completely. When I stopped taking from him, he wrote on his form that I had "ego" issues because I didn't want to accept lessons from a person who (a) insulted me and (b) taught me things that were blatantly wrong.

*sigh* and I thought I would be understood at a music conservatory.

SoccerFreak
Toucan
Toucan

29 Aug 2007, 12:11 am

my intelligents is insulted on a daily basis!! ! I get hints from everybody that im "stupid" or "ret*d".

Im not allowed to drive myself to soccer practice because the road has a bridge and a turn *GASP* (i know SOO challanging).

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2007, 3:59 am

Ana54 wrote:
Another time my mother told me, not once, but two or three times, to make sure I was listening, after we left an Army surplus store, that that stuff in it was from the army. :?

Recently my mother and I were in a bus in that part of our town I visit very rarely and when we were close to a cementary, she told me in an authoritative voice: "This is a cementary", as if I was a little child or a foreigner who didn't have that very word in her vocabulary 8O

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2007, 5:33 am

Postperson wrote:
I've been asked if I was 'simple'. :oops:

I responded by saying that genius is simple, it's stupidity that's complicated. Still it was pretty galling. One of the many negative statements that made sense when I finally got dx'ed. Do THEY ever say anything positive?

NICE RETORT!

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2007, 5:36 am

dongiovanni wrote:
A vocal performance major tried to subject me to lessons for his vocal pedagogy class. He was exceeding arrogant and insulted me completely. When I stopped taking from him, he wrote on his form that I had "ego" issues because I didn't want to accept lessons from a person who (a) insulted me and (b) taught me things that were blatantly wrong.

*sigh* and I thought I would be understood at a music conservatory.

Gee, he ADMITTED he was "blatantly wrong"? We should seem arrogant at every such point, and insults from such things should be appreciated!

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2007, 5:43 am

I'm below or above getting insulted by others (below and above equates to your perspective).

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2007, 5:54 am

It just goes to show how mistaken some can be! Most of the people that insulted me weren't even that smart. I guess I should take solace in the fact that most I talked down to deserved it. Frankly, I don't even talk down to anyone in a real insulting manner unless they insulted me or are ABSURDLY stupid.

Soccer Freak,

WHY did they doubt you could drive a car? Hey, my mother called an insurance company, and they LAUGHED at the prospect that her teenage son would be driving a corvette! They didn't just insult ME, but even my SEX! Insurance companies have this idea that all males are RECKLESS! My mother has ALWAYS been worse and far more reckless than I am. She has TOTALLED over 4 cars now! At least one before she was my current age. The worst accident I had, that I was responsible for, was a bumper denter. The worst accident I ever had was when a guy ripped the bumper off my stationary car.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2007, 10:45 am

Postperson wrote:
"genius is simple, it's stupidity that's complicated"

I LOVE IT! :D

edal
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2007, 11:29 am

My boss once called me a moron but when questioned further he didn't know what one was. FYI a moron is someone with an IQ below 70.

Ed Almos
IQ 139

atty61
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Sep 2007, 12:42 am

Once, before starting a new school, my mother tried to show me how to tie my tie. She demonstrated on a polystyrene wig block and then I had to try and tie the tie around my own neck. I know if she'd asked me to tie it onto the wig block I would have got it right first time, but because I was putting it on myself I got confused. She went absolutely berserk, screaming and jumping up and down, smashing the wig block into tiny pieces and stomping it into the ground while hurling abuse at me. The only printable word in her tirade was "stupid", yet is was probably the most hurtful.