Using Disability as an Excuse to Bully

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2007, 8:46 am

I've seen this happen in real life. People with disabilities - physical and other - will use their disability as a weapon, flinging the chip on their shoulder like a tactile missile in the direction of anyone who they sense is a threat to shaking up their comfort level because moving beyond is so understandably terrifying for them.

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2007, 9:19 am

Are you talking about abuses under the Americans with Disabilities Act?

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

07 Nov 2007, 10:37 am

how exactly would someone use thier disability as a weapon again? i hope your not one of those work snobs that work yourself into the grave and gets upset if everyone doesnt work as hard as you

wheres ticker? wheres that girl at? probably has a job in the afterlife. taking peoples numbers to help them get a job

oh puhlease

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2007, 10:56 am

Silver_Meteor wrote:
Are you talking about abuses under the Americans with Disabilities Act?

Something like *Get out of my way, can't you see I'm a cripple??? Are you blind or something? Get out of the way!* *OK, I see you're really stupid and slow, because otherwise you'd be out of the way already!*

That kind of abusive.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2007, 11:17 am

richardbenson wrote:
how exactly would someone use thier disability as a weapon again? i hope your not one of those work snobs that work yourself into the grave and gets upset if everyone doesnt work as hard as you

wheres ticker? wheres that girl at? probably has a job in the afterlife. taking peoples numbers to help them get a job

oh puhlease

No, laziness and slothfulness aren't weapons, and were never claimed to be. Some disabled people, including some that really aren't very disabled at all, act like they should be given great tolerance, and nobody else can understand their problems. It gets to be SO bad that they will scream at you asking for you to do something even while you are in the middle of doing it. Some of them will also attack and act like it is ok because they are disabled.

It is ironic that you use the word snob in that way. Your calling others a snob in that fashion is like a lazy black that tries to do nothing to be a part of the general culture, or be intelligent in any way, has the ACLU fight to get him a job with high pay and no work, and then yells racism if anyone else dared to breath a word. You seem to take an awful lot of pride in having others work so that you can get baseball cards and ice cream.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

07 Nov 2007, 11:21 am

well since im not on welfare steve i dont know why you would be so upset. ssdi isnt a handout i paid into it remember? oh but i didnt pay enough. its never enough is it steve? not for a snob like you. you have to work 5 full years to even qualify for disability, but that doesnt matter because its not enough. it never is, not when your dealing with a work snob that is

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2007, 11:24 am

:roll:

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

07 Nov 2007, 11:26 am

this is where i get to call you a doofus again :P

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2007, 11:34 am

:lol: :roll:

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

07 Nov 2007, 11:35 am

yah know, im shure your a really good guy. just a grouchy old snob :P

KaliMa
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2007, 12:38 pm

Jistar-

Once some years back I was on a train, and a conductor came aboard with a blind man and asked if anyone was getting out at my stop. I said I was and he asked me to help the blind man up to the street.

The man was nasty as hell. He was offended when I told him his dog was beautiful, he was miffed that I didn't know how many steps the staircase had (I had just planned to say when he got to the next-to-last step that the next step was the street, which worked out fine), and he was disgusted that I didn't know where the building he wanted was. As I looked for someone to ask, he yelled out that he needed someone to help him. I regretted telling the conductor I was getting out at Kenmore station!

This is just having a chip on his shoulder, not really bullying but more like being hateful to me because I made myself available.

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2007, 1:22 pm

KaliMa wrote:
Jistar-

Once some years back I was on a train, and a conductor came aboard with a blind man and asked if anyone was getting out at my stop. I said I was and he asked me to help the blind man up to the street.

The man was nasty as hell. He was offended when I told him his dog was beautiful, he was miffed that I didn't know how many steps the staircase had (I had just planned to say when he got to the next-to-last step that the next step was the street, which worked out fine), and he was disgusted that I didn't know where the building he wanted was. As I looked for someone to ask, he yelled out that he needed someone to help him. I regretted telling the conductor I was getting out at Kenmore station!

This is just having a chip on his shoulder, not really bullying but more like being hateful to me because I made myself available.

Exactly. The analogy of using the chip on their shoulder as a tactile weapon fit well. Honestly, sometimes I am baffled - don't know how to react in these instances. I'd like to show more empathy but also have to watch out for my own boundaries and how many risks in getting hit do I want? Honestly zero. So I guess self-protection/desensitizing is the way to go in dealing with these encounters.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2007, 1:53 pm

Sometimes the person is actually hiding their anxiety and embarrassment at not being able to do certain things by being nasty though. They're taking the offensive so the person doesn't feel sorry for them, or to mask how they actually feel about needing someone else's help.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2007, 2:48 pm

WTF is the OP talking about?! Why are there so many nonsensical threads like this on WP?

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

07 Nov 2007, 2:50 pm

steve what is your favorite blackmetal act?

BazzaMcKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2007, 9:46 pm

LostInSpace wrote:
Sometimes the person is actually hiding their anxiety and embarrassment at not being able to do certain things by being nasty though. They're taking the offensive so the person doesn't feel sorry for them, or to mask how they actually feel about needing someone else's help.

and sometimes a***holes have disabilities too.