Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2007, 7:29 pm

I like to clean, I feel much better in a clean house and a made bed with clean laundry and everything but I just can't be able to bring myself to clean unless the mood really strikes me or it gets so bad I'm tripping over everything and I get frustrated enough that I just have to clean.

I think it might be that I'm just lazy. I'd rather just sit there and watch TV and I'll say to myself, I'll do it at this time when nothing's on but I'll ultimately find something on and before I know it, it's too late and I can't do anything besides go to bed.

If you know of any tips on how to be a better cleaner - I'm not looking for tips on how to clean but how to get started.

SleepyDragon
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2007, 8:06 pm

Misery Loves Company: I once had a neighbour who hated to clean, and the only way she could do anything at her house was if she had someone (i.e. me) sitting there talking to her with a cup of coffee in hand. Which was fine for her, but I'd feel so guilty about not getting my own chores done that I had to stop.

Substances: Caffeine is my choice. I've also heard cannabis given favourable mention, but I don't use it, so can't comment.

Inspirational Music: Preferably loud, and Latin-inflected.

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2007, 8:10 pm

I hate cleaning so when I need to do it, I listen to a book on tape or CD. I make a rule that the only time I can listen to the story is if I'm cleaning. If the story is really good, I get a lot of cleaning done!

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2007, 9:15 pm

For cleaning, I compartmentalize everything. I say to myself that if I finish doing the dishes, then I can watch a favorite tv show. If I completely clean the kitchen, then I can do a different favorite activity. It's the only way I can get through my day and still accomplish something.

Kris

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2007, 9:21 pm

The combination of coffee and fast music works well for me. I like to dedicate a whole day to cleaning because once I start, I realize there's a lot that needs to be done and that makes it hard to stop.

CrushedPentagon
Raven
Raven

07 Nov 2007, 9:39 pm

If you like cleaning, and you enjoy having things clean, but you just can't seem to get started, you sound a lot like me. Pick a chore, set a timer for 10 minutes, and work on that chore for 10 minutes. After that, either do something fun for 10 minutes, or pick another chore to do for 10 minutes. Alternate between different things for as long as you can stand it.

Ten minutes is short enough that I can stand to do something I don't really want to do. Either I'll get into it once I start, and continue past the 10 minutes, or at least I get something done and it's better than nothing.

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2007, 10:14 pm

I've read a lot of stuff that I do when I do clean like playing my media player playlist.

I should try that 10 minute thing. See if it works for me.

Keep up the awesome suggestions!

zghost
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2007, 11:44 pm

Pick a cleaning day. Then every week, you have to clean on that day.
That's the only way I can get it done.
I vacuum, sweep the floors, and clean off the kitchen counter. That's all I have to do. Everytning else is optional, and I get to it if I feel like it or randomly. Sometimes when I really don't feel like cleaning, I put it off until late and end up vacuuming at 1 a.m. or something, but I get it done.

My tip is don't try to detail out the entire house "hired maid style". It makes the job too big and you'll never start. If there's just a little that you have to do, it's not so bad. If you feel like cleaning more, keep going.

(For those of you wondering, yes I do clean my bathrooms, when necessary.)