Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2007, 3:14 am

I was put on this stuff a little over a week ago, and I realized I'm having increased sensory reactions. For instance, I'm practically half deaf, and normally sounds still bother me a lot. But since I was put on this, I can hear the cars down the street (10-12 houses away) starting up, very faintly, but I can hear them at night when the neighborhood calms down and it's driving me nuts! I've also practically become an insomniac within the week as well...

Has anybody else been on this stuff, and if so, have you had similar reactions? Will it go away, or is it something I should be talking to the doc about ASAP?

I'm my own guinea pig.

criss
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2007, 3:43 am

The worst should be over for you now, In the 1st week it is very common for these things to happen, it is good to talk about this and I am sure that you will receive much support and connection with others from this threat.

When I started on my ssri I experienced profound depersonalization and suisidal thoughts, it did pass, and the 1st week is the hardest.

Keep using this site to share your feelings as going on & off meds we need support.

"We are here on earth for a little space to learn to bear the beams of love." (William Blake)

Thank God for science, but feed me poetry please, as I am one that desires the meal & not the menu. (My own)

girl7000
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2007, 5:57 am

I take prozac. I also have sensory issues- I always have - and I personally haven't found that prozac makes them either better or worse.

I did have some side effects, like upset stomach and drowsiness, but these wore off after a few weeks, as is commonly the case with side effects of SSRIs.

I have extremely sensitive hearing anyway, and I use soft foam earplugs, and I also have a pair of industrial ear defenders for emergencies!

On the positive side, it helps with my music and gives me immense enjoyment from music.

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2007, 6:08 am

Yes, I have noticed it's not all bad. Insomnia sucks, but I wasn't sleeping a ton to begin with.

I've had an insane amount of energy, though. I tried taking sleeping meds tonight, just to wind down... and here I am, 5 a.m. our time-no effect from them at all.

I hope the hearing stuff does tone down a bit, but I suppose maybe it isn't necessarily so much heightened, but moreso that I'm not so tense anymore, that I'm noticing these littler things that always just lead to a huge build up before.

I know it isn't gonna effect anything all that much right now most likely, but I do hope the sleeping schedule shifts some. I do know, however, the doc gave it to me because I said I was unmotivated and my thoughts were not clear. He said depression will cause that... my thoughts haven't changed though, and have been the same for 20 or so years, lol, so I'm not so sure the lack of focus was necessarily due to any depression.

It seems, as it would make sense to me, my therapist suggested ADHD as well as autism for me, and I was wondering... ADHD would make it difficult to focus, but I NEED clarity. If I cannot get my thoughts sorted, or stay focused due to the ADHD, would that not lead to problems due to my need for clarity? I'm sure that would cause depression to some degree, but should the depression necessarily be what is being treated, or should he be checking into something in the direction of ADHD. It seems if I could keep my thoughts focused, that would clear up the constant frustration/confusion possibly...

I don't know if that is making sense or not, but when I brought up these 2 conflicting things to the doc, he said it's unlikely. I do not logically see how it would be unlikely, but hey, what do I know? I'm just the person dealing with it, lol.

He based the idea of lack of focus as linking to depression solely it seems, and said that people with ADHD normally do not experience depression (which I thought sounded a little odd). He also based it off of me saying that my thought pattern just keeps shifting all of the time, meaning I am thinking non-stop and have not been able to stay focused long enough to figure out one thing at a time. I don't think he got what I was trying to say, lol.

I'm my own guinea pig.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2007, 8:57 am

With these side effects, you should talk to your doctor about switching medicines.

Jennyfoo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Nov 2007, 2:52 pm

I was put on Zoloft about 2 months ago. I noticed that my sensory issues went down- I wasn't wound so tight all the time- more relaxed, so teh sensory input doesn't get to me like it did. I did, however, notice that in the first few weeks, my stimming increased. I was constantly bouncing my leg, tapping fingers, driving my husband nuts. It only lasted a few weeks, but it was unnerving.

Give your body some time to adjust to the meds. It could take up to a month or two until you know fully how you will react to it.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2007, 3:13 pm

It is common for SSRIs to cause agitation and various unpleasant sensitivities in the initial period. Typically, these fade. Some doctors co-prescribe a benzo (like xanax) for this initial period.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

26 Nov 2007, 4:25 pm

i took it when i was a teenager, i had manic episodes or extreme laughing fits and they never took me off it

starling
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Nov 2007, 4:31 pm

I take it. 10 mg a day. No side effects.

UnfoldedCranes
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Nov 2007, 6:54 pm

nobodyzdream wrote:
It seems, as it would make sense to me, my therapist suggested ADHD as well as autism for me, and I was wondering... ADHD would make it difficult to focus, but I NEED clarity. If I cannot get my thoughts sorted, or stay focused due to the ADHD, would that not lead to problems due to my need for clarity? I'm sure that would cause depression to some degree, but should the depression necessarily be what is being treated, or should he be checking into something in the direction of ADHD. It seems if I could keep my thoughts focused, that would clear up the constant frustration/confusion possibly...

I don't know if that is making sense or not, but when I brought up these 2 conflicting things to the doc, he said it's unlikely. I do not logically see how it would be unlikely, but hey, what do I know? I'm just the person dealing with it, lol.

He based the idea of lack of focus as linking to depression solely it seems, and said that people with ADHD normally do not experience depression (which I thought sounded a little odd). He also based it off of me saying that my thought pattern just keeps shifting all of the time, meaning I am thinking non-stop and have not been able to stay focused long enough to figure out one thing at a time. I don't think he got what I was trying to say, lol.

I think you should get a second opinion. What you're saying makes sense to me.

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2007, 11:27 pm

starling wrote:
I take it. 10 mg a day. No side effects.

Yeah, I'm on 20 mg. The hearing sensitivity is starting to chill out a little bit, not a ton, but it is. I'm way more relaxed, so that is nice. But this insomnia is driving me nuts, lol. Last night I slept about 2 hours, woke up to my alarm, wide awake. It took me 2 1/2 hours of laying there to actually fall asleep, lol, and that was after taking sleep meds. I sure hope that goes away as well-the energy is nice, sure, but my bf says I seem extra flaky lately because I'm hyper (like, slap happy hyper from lack of sleep) and unfocused in thought as usual, lol. That in itself is almost depressing as it makes me think I'm starting to sound like a cheerleader or something. I'd rather be flaky without the energy if that is how I'm coming across to others, lol.

I'm my own guinea pig.

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2007, 11:30 pm

UnfoldedCranes wrote:
nobodyzdream wrote:

I think you should get a second opinion. What you're saying makes sense to me.

Glad that makes sense, and I probably will re-explain what I'm trying to get at in this train of thought with him. Maybe he can refer me for an assessment since that is the only way my insurance will even remotely touch it, that way it can be official rather than therapists' speculation (meaning, he's said it's likely, but won't put it on paper to make it official) as it is kind of stuck at right now. There are plenty of problems it is causing in life, but he won't put it on paper because... I dunno, apparently it doesn't seem to be quite impairing enough, lol. Still dunno how, but I also know he knows little about autism as far as in-depth. Going for an actual assessment for that soon, but the ADHD will probably need a referral of some type.

Either way, it still makes sense to me, I just don't think the doctor really understood at all what I was getting at. It's just a family doc, so it wasn't a psychiatrist or anything. But it's as close as I'm getting to one for now, lol, so I'd like for him to understand what I'm getting at-not necessarily to agree, but to hear me out at least :P

I'm my own guinea pig.

starling
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Dec 2007, 5:18 am

No problems with insomnia. I'm taking it every morning at 6:30. Do you need to take 20mg? Did you take less before?

BTW: I'm not taking it because of a depression. I take it to regulate stress effects.