Page 1 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Rhyanna
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Nov 2007, 12:21 am

I've had a really rough road religiously in my life, so I'll cut it down to the cliff notes version: Born, baptised and raised Catholic, was told by the woman who molested me that Jesus wanted us together, tried Protestant religions, almost converted to Judaism, became a Pagan, tried to be a good Christian after 9/11, came back to Catholicism after JP2 died, flipped back and forth between Catholicism and Wicca for several years, firmly decided on Catholicism, recently read the New Testament and was disappointed, and now I'm wondering if I belong where I am yet again.

Anyone else have problems understanding religion? I do find it to be important in life, because my faith in God has helped me get through alot. But to me believing in God is done by all religions, not just Christians, etc. I'm just wondering if this is a common Aspie struggle or am I just really screwed up on this issue personally?

Feel free to move to a more appropriate forum if necessary. :)

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 12:25 am

Now, I'm no shrink but I think your religious insecurities stem from your molestation. You may have unresolved feelings surrounding the issue that should be addressed with the help of a professional.

LadyMahler
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Nov 2007, 12:49 am

I think it is just normal to find that one goes to and fro between ideas, if you are a really honest person who seeks the truth all the time. I have also gone from growing up protestant to agnostic to baptist and now I think I'm pretty much where you are: respecting those from other religions while trusting in my own to carry me through life.

You are definitely not screwed up. I think religion is a big topic for some aspies because our minds just want to find answers all the time, and it is something which is just so much bigger than our minds can handle, and I truly believe there is so much we don't know.

I think important is to find peace with our Creator and trust that our lives are unfolding as it should, the ups and the downs.

I tell you what is cool, speaking about how much stuff there is out there that is awesome, check out the Hubble telescope site: http://hubblesite.org Now, that is amazing. Whoever created this universe has some brain...

scumsuckingdouchebag
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 12:53 am

Quote:
Whoever created this universe has some brain...

How would one know that anyone created this universe?

For all we know, each of us are the universe attempting to discover itself.

LadyMahler
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Nov 2007, 12:55 am

Yeah, possibly, but then who created each of us?

Fatal-Noogie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: California coast, United States of America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Cosmos

24 Nov 2007, 12:55 am

From the sound of things, it seems that you've given it more thought than most people, Christians, Atheists, etc., which is good. Some people fall into a narrow mindset, get comfortable, then stay there for the rest of their life.

Me: I'm an Atheist. Actually I'm a deist, which means I believe that there's more "out there" than we can know or understand at this time, but because I reject the insistent personification that all religions seem to give to "god", it's simpler to call myself an Atheist.

The important thing is that you don't accept dogma in exchange for friendship, because that's how cults are formed, and don't let people belittle you for your beliefs. I'm only 21 tho, so don't take my advice too seriously. I think about religion a lot, but I'm no spiritual guru.

AspieMartian
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Nov 2007, 1:03 am

I'm an adult convert to Catholicism, and I was very confused about religion all my younger life, so much so it almost preventing my from converting. I think a lot of people are confused about religion, even people who seems very content and confidant about they belief system. I've certainly known plenty of "hardcore" Chrisitans, atheists, pagans, and whatever else, who were clearly confused, even if they didn't realize it. I don't think there's an easy answer here. Everyone have their one path, their own challenges and their own obstacles.

I don't think reading the Bible on your own is going to clarify things if you're confused. That's a collection of ancient documents written in a culture vastly different from our own. Some of the things that should be apparent aren't so for modern readers. I admit I'm very "catholic" about this - the Bible should be read and interpreted by the larger community of the faithful where the presence of the Holy Spirit is assured, and not left to individual interpretations. Fundamentalists and quasi-Chirstian sects like the Mormons often think you can just pick up the Bible and understand it. I've known athiest and antitheist who try the debunk Christianity the same way. I've yet to meet one of these such persons who has any sensible grasp on any part of the Christian Bible. It just doesn't work like that.

It's only within a larger community that you have people who can study the Bible more indepthly and educate the rest of the community on its meaning, and then in turn the rest of the community can form a consensus of how to apply the Bible's message for today's world. In larger Christendom today, that's done by an ecumenical community of Biblical scholars from all demoninations, and their studies include historical, cultural and linguistic aspects, where they study the Bible more objectively, like they would any historical document. What data they collect is then published and dissiminated among the Churches (adn to anyone else who's interested - you can get most of this stuff through Amazon.com), which the communities of the various demoninations interpreting that data as they see is appropriate for their churches. And yes, even in the Catholic church, the laity can play a role in that interpretation, even if at time it caused disagreement and tension between the laity and the clergy.

If you want to understand the Bible better, my advice is to look into a bible study group at a parish near you, or go to a local Catholic bookstore and ask for some bible study materials. I'll be hosent with you - understanding the Bible properly is probably the biggest challenge Christian laity face today, and it's a pretty heavy task. That's why you're best off joining a study group. However, the need for it is apparent, when you see Christians everyday who don't even understand the basic tenents of Jesus' teachings, you know, like "fed the hungry" and "love your neighbor."

I'll also be very honest with you about another thing - if you find that you're flipflopping between Chrisitan and pagan beliefs, you're not alone, by far. Jews, Chrisitan and even Muslim have always had large numbers of faithful who clung to pagan beliefs and practices, and it's no less true in today's world. We know this is a historical pattern from the Bible itself - partly because of how often it's condemned in the bible, and partly because of how often pagan aspects were assimilated into both these faiths. That's just how these religions have evolved. The idea of a "pure" faith in the "Biblical tradition" is rather unrealistic, to be truthful. Paganism today especially offers something that "organized" religion often neglects - a connection to a more natural, basic sense of our humanity, our connection to nature and individual expression as part of worship. While I consider myself a devout Catholic, I do have an interest in shamanism, because spiritually, I have that need. And hoesntly,. I feel no conflict about this, becuse I understand my own spiritual needs. I think once you can better understand what it is that draws you to both Catholicism/Chrisitanity and Paganism/Wiccan, then you stand a better chance are reconciling with yourself about what you believe.

scumsuckingdouchebag
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 1:05 am

Quote:
Yeah, possibly, but then who created each of us?

We may not have been 'created', but perhaps just the natural result of various physical laws interacting with each other.

Interesting to ponder, but no currently known way to test it as a hypothesis.

Quote:
Anyone else have problems understanding religion?

Yes. As far as I'm concerned, it's a sort of mystical thinking akin to that found by those affected by Schizotypal Personality Disorder(I didn't come to this opinion on my own but have read it and felt that it fit). I don't understand it. I don't see a reason for a person to believe in it. I don't think I even have one(I'm hesitant to even label myself an atheist, as I don't know what is correct or incorrect.).

But that's just my view on things. Everyone elses will be different to some degree.

LadyMahler
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Nov 2007, 1:11 am

Quote:
We may not have been 'created', but perhaps just the natural result of various physical laws interacting with each other.

Yeah, but who made the physical laws...

PS: Just stirring a bit ;)

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 2:13 am

Disclaimer: don't flame me, this is my opinion and I really don't care if you agree or disagree. It just is.

I was raised Lutheran, converted to Catholicism in my early adulthood only to realize I couldn't actually believe any of the crap they were telling me, then I lost my faith completely (except for my belief in God) because I thought all of it was about greed and organization of the sheep.

Then I drifted back toward Lutheran. Then I met a Born Again Christian, and she completely sealed the deal for me that I was not - nor would I ever again be Christian. In fact, for a while after that I wasn't even sure I believed in God.

And of course the more I watch the History channel, the more I wonder how anyone can simultaneously be intelligent about our origins and the history of religions...and still believe anything about Christianity (no offense, Christians).

Anyhow, I studied different religions for a time, and realized that Buddhism is the closest fit for me. I'm not "fully" Buddhist in my beliefs since I do still believe in God, but I firmly believe in Karma, rebirth and our interconnectedness. The whole guilt/sin/hell/feel awful about everything you do just isn't my cup of tea.

giaam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Nov 2007, 5:20 am

Personaly, I find it nigh on impossible to define myself as 'religous', but more spiritual. I find I cannot conceptualise deity, it doesnt 'compute'. I still aknowlage a spiritual need however. The closest I get is wicca to religion, but I cant say I'm 'practising'. 8)

Dracula
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Nov 2007, 5:29 am

Rhyanna wrote:
I've had a really rough road religiously in my life, so I'll cut it down to the cliff notes version: Born, baptised and raised Catholic, was told by the woman who molested me that Jesus wanted us together, tried Protestant religions, almost converted to Judaism, became a Pagan, tried to be a good Christian after 9/11, came back to Catholicism after JP2 died, flipped back and forth between Catholicism and Wicca for several years, firmly decided on Catholicism, recently read the New Testament and was disappointed, and now I'm wondering if I belong where I am yet again.

Anyone else have problems understanding religion? I do find it to be important in life, because my faith in God has helped me get through alot. But to me believing in God is done by all religions, not just Christians, etc. I'm just wondering if this is a common Aspie struggle or am I just really screwed up on this issue personally?

find a religion where you are most secure. and by secure I mean: where you have friends, family, and are inclined to believe the truthfulness of that belief system.

changing religion by impule seems to be..... a very common Aspie trait.

Here's a challenge for you, Rhyanna. once you feel the urge to alter your spiritual status ... decline your urgings. the more you stick to your beliefs, the more doubt you overcome, the stronger those convictions will become. and guess what? eventually you'll find your habit of impulsively changing religions gone.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 6:33 am

I wasn't baptized, nor was religion forced upon me; I did go to [private] Catholic schools throughout my life, but it wasn't due to the religion. My ma said that I should make my own decisions.

I did, theology isn't my thing, never has been my thing (Yoda is cooler than Jesus); if that makes me an atheist or not, I don't know, nor do I care.

It's words in a book that mean nothing to me; I see what I see, hear what I hear and believe nothing but life and death.

Last edited by Danielismyname on 24 Nov 2007, 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chauo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Nov 2007, 6:40 am

I think it is imposible to know the truth about our reality/the world we live in with a 100 % intellectual certainty.

The problem is that if we choose to believe that God does not exist then we can't be shore of that either. We are not more thruthful or scientific if we don't believe in God. But I think there is a notion in the western society that so is the case.

But we don't have to choose in total "blindness"/darkness. Some beliefs are/can seem more reasonable than others.

Here are som links to websites that deals with the topic of christian apologetics, if anyone is interested.

http://www.gracefellowship.com/apologetics/craig.htm

http://www.apologetics.org/

http://www.rationalpi.com/theshelter/silent.html

Personally it has been a very inportant thing for me that God has been steadfast to me in my life. If I look at what I have experienced and how he has helped me (even though it has not always been easy and I have felt a lot of despair) I am certain that He is there and loves me och wants to help and guide me in my life.

Unother book that I would like to recommend is "Surpriced by Joy" by C S Lewis, wich is his autobiography about his journey to becoming a christian. I thought it was very good when I read it when I was young. (I am now 32) It was also like medicin for me to read the Narniabooks when I was young and felt depressed.

By the way, I apoligize if my english sound weird. It's not my first language. :)

Chauo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Nov 2007, 7:02 am

Rhyanna wrote:

I think that there sometimes can be a problem with your beliefs if you have som sort of mental or emotional problem. The combination might be troublesome.

For example. I have OCD. A common problem if you have it is that you never feel clean and always need to wash yourself because you are afraid of diseases e t c. But if you are a christian you can feel the same need for "moral cleanlyess" and that can be a problem. I think I had some problems with this a few years ago but I was aware that I had the problem so I could sort of balance and reverse it a bit so it didn't have to get to far.

Maybe if you have a need to know everything for shore you can have a problem with religion because there is always a certain amount of faith and maybe it can be hard to let go and sort make the leap.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 8:19 am

Recently there was nothing, then The Universe was Created.

The Creator was not at all religious.

It is all one big thing, I like it.

Religion is second guessing the Creator.

I, like all, was Created to fill this time and space, not to just question it.

Talking, thinking, feeling, apes. What a concept.

We are but a step, not our past, not the future, we can see the change happening.

Give it another million years, what then?

How can I believe part, when my teacher and friend is all?