Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Dec 2007, 9:41 pm

Do you...
have asperger's
live with asperger's
are asperger's
???

I only came up with 2 schools of thought,

Asperger is a label for a group of people who all have a specific combination of traits. This is as much a part of you as being tall, short, black, white. It's just a label for who you are.

Or it can be an addition to yourself. You are not different in the sense I explained above, but that the Asperger is a layer on top that tweaks who you are. It might be possible at sometime in the future to remove this layer.

I'm having a hard time figuring this out myself.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2007, 9:51 pm

well, it can also be a starting point for how you relate to the world around you. After reading up on the traits and mannerisms, I'm getting a better handle on how I tick. Coming here helps me refine what I do around others, and how to relate.

I know I'll never be NT (sorry, but that's a computer operating system to me..;), but learning more about it will help me to know when to keep my fool mouth shut, or not...;)

Some things will forever be a mystery, but it's a big relief to know you're not alone.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2007, 12:02 am

I'd have to say that I'm living with it, because I've learned to live with it.

Belle77
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2007, 1:03 am

I'd say that I have it because I've not yet learned to live with it.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2007, 1:06 am

I still aint copin :roll:

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2007, 1:14 am

Every part of my core personality arises from AS. Therefore it defines me and I am it integrally. If AS was removed from me I would no lpnger be me. Therefore I don't have AS, I am an aspie. And although thwre are definite issues, I would not ne anything nor anyone else.

cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2007, 1:16 am

nutbag wrote:
Every part of my core personality arises from AS. Therefore it defines me and I am it integrally. If AS was removed from me I would no lpnger be me. Therefore I don't have AS, I am an aspie. And although thwre are definite issues, I would not ne anything nor anyone else.

true I'd not have you as a friend...

Kalister1
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2007, 1:16 am

Every day, I feel like a part of my soul is slowly consumed, and behind is left a bleak nothingness, a thing so horrible that mere words can not describe it, but suffice to say that the likes of man have seen nothing of it before, the eldritch ethereal horror of the cosmic bleak a much darker black than the blackest black!! !! !! MY HANDS TREMBLE FROM TYPING THESE VERY WORDS! ALHAZRED! Cthulhu! HITHERTO ETERNUM NOCTEM ! FOREVER MORE ETERNUM NOCTEM!! ! THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE, AND WITH STRANGER AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE!! !

Belle77
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2007, 1:19 am

nutbag wrote:

I think I could have this outlook if I can learn to deal with the harder aspects of being an Aspie.

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2007, 1:20 am

Dunno wot that had to do with AS but. . .

IMMINEMTIZE THE ESCHATON!

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2007, 1:20 am

Dunno wot that had to do with AS but. . .

IMMINEMTIZE THE ESCHATON!

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2007, 1:21 am

Kalister1 wrote:
Every day, I feel like a part of my soul is slowly consumed, and behind is left a bleak nothingness, a thing so horrible that mere words can not describe it, but suffice to say that the likes of man have seen nothing of it before, the eldritch ethereal horror of the cosmic bleak a much darker black than the blackest black!! !! !! MY HANDS TREMBLE FROM TYPING THESE VERY WORDS! ALHAZRED! Cthulhu! HITHERTO ETERNUM NOCTEM ! FOREVER MORE ETERNUM NOCTEM!! ! THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE, AND WITH STRANGER AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE!! !

I hate AS too and see it as a horrible burden

Kalister1
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2007, 1:23 am

Hehe :P If you read H.P. Lovecraft, you guys would get my over the top emulation of him (though, he was a greater writer. I, on the other hand, am pretty horrible.)

IsThatAFact
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Dec 2007, 1:26 am

Humans categorise ‘things’, e.g., plant and animal species, kitchen furniture, diseases, etc., it is one of those traits that separates us from the animals, and it is how we relate to the world (can you imagine not having category called ‘car’ – each would be individually named, it would make communications difficult).

So Asperger’s is merely another categorising effort, it is made even messier, because few can even agree on the measurement criteria.

Asperger’s does not define me, and it is not ‘a layer on top that tweaks who you are’, it is merely a label that help me understand part of me and a useful (if limited) label to help understand others.

You are not Asperger’s and Asperger’s is not you, no more than being black or white defines you.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

08 Dec 2007, 2:16 am

listen to some classical and live in a high place

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2007, 5:33 am

richardbenson wrote:
listen to some classical and live in a high place

That sounds awesome.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I