Are you starved for appreciation/praise?

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Are you starved for appreciation/praise?
Poll ended at 26 Jan 2008, 2:22 pm
Yes 45%  45%  [ 19 ]
No 12%  12%  [ 5 ]
Somewhat 43%  43%  [ 18 ]
Total votes : 42

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2007, 2:22 pm

I know I am...

Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2007, 2:34 pm

Well, I like appreciation. It is not necessary, but adds a new drive to things.

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2007, 2:40 pm

I could work myself sore, and most people wouldn't notice... wait, I did that already. :? So yeah, some appreciation would be a huge plus in my offline world.

SapphoWoman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Dec 2007, 3:06 pm

Yes--now that you mention it... totally starved! :cry:

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2007, 3:09 pm

Greentea wrote:
I know I am...

You really start the best threads on WP.

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

26 Dec 2007, 3:43 pm

To operate the device the user simply places the assembled unit on his or her shoulder and holds the guide rod with one hand to impart the desired angular relationship to the retracted simulated hand and uses the remaining free natural hand to tug on the rope and impart motion to the simulated hand to cause a pat-on-the-back to be delivered

Leo21k
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Dec 2007, 3:47 pm

Sometimes I wonder if when I do nice things for people I do it to be nice or because I just want to be appreciatied.

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2007, 5:03 pm

Yes, since being diagnosed have had no support not even from my husband. In fact friends here in NZ have backed off, even heard them mention that aspergers is a mental disorder.

So it would feel like me against the world, if not for the wonderful Aspie community, and sites like this and my own web site.

TLPG
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2007, 5:06 pm

I voted somewhat, because I have experienced appreciation and praise - but not enough. A lot of what I do gets ignored or disrespected - not because of what I'm doing but how I'm going about it and what I need to achieve it. Funny how people criticise my methods and yet when challenged to come up with a better way they go all silent on me!

reika
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

26 Dec 2007, 5:22 pm

Somewhat, for the fact that it greatly matters to me that the appreciation come from someone whose opinions I "Respect" in the first place.
I always try to "Consider the Source." For instance, when the DRUNK cook is in the kitchen bad-mouthing me on my day off cause I quit smoking and he could't, and I'm divorcing his "friend" I really don't let it bother me too much. Because I "consider the source" and I don't really care what some 50 year old, bitter, chronic drunk guy thinks of me. In fact I find it pathetic that he does it only when I'm not present. It's sad how hes let himself go. What a waste.
However, if my boss says something to me, it almost makes me cry, as I have the utmost respect for him, both as a human being, and a businessman.
However, a compliment from him makes me feel great every time I think about it. He never tells you directly what he thinks of you either. For example the other night the ex-floor manager who had worked for him for years came in, and he asked me if I'd ever met her, drug me out to meet her and the first thing she said to me was"So, your Reika, Georgio has told me so much about you and how much he thinks of you and trusts you." I looked over at him and he looked back at me and I said "Really?, you think that of me?" I felt SO good in that moment and do right now, even as I think of it. She continued on to say that that really was saying something cause my boss doesn't instill his trust in too many people, that it was rare to hear him say that.
Getting "misty" just recalling it. :D

If only closed minds came with closed mouths. Lau: "But where would they put their feet?" Postpaleo: "Up their ass."

MysteryFan3
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2007, 5:24 pm

I used to be really disappointed when I did something I thought was really cool and hardly anyone noticed. I later figured out that most of it wasn't that cool after all, and the stuff that was cool was also not understood very well at first. I got the praise much later. I've learned the hard way :oops: to just do stuff as usual and don't expect anyone to notice.

The embarrassing part is I didn't learn that until I was almost 40. So I guess I'm not the brightest nickel at the mint. :D

SapphoWoman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Dec 2007, 5:29 pm

reika wrote:
For example the other night the ex-floor manager who had worked for him for years came in, and he asked me if I'd ever met her, drug me out to meet her and the first thing she said to me was"So, your Reika, Georgio has told me so much about you and how much he thinks of you and trusts you."

That's awesome!

excluded_middle
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Dec 2007, 2:19 am

Whenever I do something I am really proud of it is always too obscure or confusing for anyone I know to appreciate, even if I spend a long time trying to explain.. since that usually just confuses people more.

MisterHeron
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Dec 2007, 3:16 am

It's always nice to be recognized for what I do. Generally though I feel like I'm being ignored.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2007, 5:01 am

I do feel that a few of my accomplishments go unnoticed.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

IsThatAFact
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Dec 2007, 6:50 am

As long as I think I am doing a good job I am happy and I am not really fussed what other people think. It is nice to be acknowledged - but not important - I am much harder to please than other people!