Do people think you're happy when you're unhappy or vice ver

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2008, 4:05 am

sa?

Ooooh yeah, a lot with me! A lot of the time it's because they aren't paying attention, which hurts. Other times they're in denial, which also hurts. And other times I AM happy, about outside stuff, but there's this deep sadness and fear locked inside me that doesn't show at all thru the happiness. So much for seeing someone's soul thru their eyes or on their face or whatever.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

04 Jan 2008, 5:54 am

My mother often comments that I look upset, when really I am just content.
At other times, she wont notice when I am upset. I guess I just must not be very expressive.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2008, 6:46 am

I often get asked "What's wrong" - when there really isn't anything wrong - I've just forgotten to set my face into the plastic NT smile.

Similarly, sometimes I wear that smile through the worst turmoil.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2008, 6:47 am

I never look happy, especially when I'm happy.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2008, 7:17 am

OH YEAH!! !! !! HOW!?!?!?

Well, it relates to my reaction to stress, and general attitude.

If I feel great, etc... I may NEVER smile. I had to LEARN to smile, etc... and generally NEVER show teeth!

If someone tries to cheat me or someone I don't hate, etc... or if I get cheated... or someone badmouths me, etc... I may actually laugh, almost seem to smile, and may even crack jokes. It is hard to explain, but I usually try when I feel it is appropriate.

It is EASY to see how someone can make such a big mistake!

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2008, 9:45 am

Yea i get that, are u having a bad day or something, everybody always thinks i'm unhappy because i dont smile a lot

feelgoodlost
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Jan 2008, 9:47 am

When I go home I stay in bed a lot and surf the internet on my laptop (like I do at my place). My mom constantly tells me it's a sign of depression, and I admit that it is a little boring at home and sometimes I would like to do things, but much of the time I'm completely content to do what I'm doing...I love sleeping and I love my big comfy bed and I love messing about on the computer! As a result I'm usually anxious the whole trip because I'm sensitive to the fact that I'm in my room so much and it bothers my mom. :/

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2008, 10:03 am

2ukenkerl wrote:
If I feel great, etc... I may NEVER smile. I had to LEARN to smile, etc... and generally NEVER show teeth!

The same. I express my feelings externally very rarely, in fact, when I attended my primary school I was asked many times by my stupid teachers why I was sad because my face didn't express anything. I must force myself to smile at people's presence because it is not a natural, instinctive ability for me. And my smile is Mona Lisa's smile 8)

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2008, 10:23 am

Yeah! When I'm in a situation where I'm totally content, I don't bother with facial expressions at all. As a result I often get asked if I'm ok or told to cheer up. Which totally spoils my mood because it's a right pain having to concentrate on appearing 'happy'. I guess that's why I like situations where people can't see my face, such as walking home at night: I can focus on what I'm saying more than how I look when saying it.

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2008, 4:56 pm

Often when I was younger when I was bored and daydreaming my dad said that I looked really sad, and when there was really something wrong they would ever notice, and I was dying to tell them butt didn't want to be too expressive or they might think I was a whiny spoiled brat or trying to get attention because I was just bored. I think that problam, caused by social anxiety, contributed to depression later on... very severe, there was just so much to talk about that went unsaid.

Last edited by Ana54 on 04 Jan 2008, 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2008, 4:56 pm

Probably not.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

benjimanbreeg
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2008, 4:57 pm

Ana54 wrote:
Often when I was younger when I was bored and daydreaming my dad said that I looked really sad, ands when there was really something wrong they would ever notice, and I was dying to tell them butt didn't want to be too expressive or they might think I was a whiny spoiled brat or trying to get attention because I was just bored. I think that problam, caused by social anxiety, contributed to depressio later on... very severe, there was just so much to talk about that went unsaid.

I know how that feels A, my heart goes out to you :(

angelgirl1224
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2008, 4:58 pm

people often think im upset when i am fine

Wilco
Toucan
Toucan

04 Jan 2008, 5:04 pm

lol, I get this from every new person I meet. I just say: "This is my happy face, you don't want to see my angry face." They look at me like I'm crazy, but then I laugh and they laugh as well. (probably thinking im even more crazy but fater they get to know me everything is fine :P)

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2008, 5:23 pm

gbollard wrote:

Similarly, sometimes I wear that smile through the worst turmoil.

On occasion, I have been known to laugh hysterically during times of extreme duress.

And when I'm deeply pissed off, I smile what I call my "homicidal sociopath smile."

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"